How to Pre-rig Your Drop Shot Rigs

Scout'nStripers

The drop shot bite is getting hot on Lanier and if you can stand the heat you can get some good ones. Here's a little video I made this morning while preparing for a drop shot trip tomorrow. It's a good way to keep your rigs organized and at the ready....

Lanier Jim

Good stuff Jim....but what is the drop shot? :)

Scout'nStripers

Good stuff Jim....but what is the drop shot? :)
Jim, it's an ancient Chinese technique later refined by the Japanese and brought to the US back in the 50's. It's a method of catching fish with a hook and a weight....and a worm.

red neck richie

Good tip Jim. I like the VMC hooks as well with the breakoff weights. Have you been nose hooking or been fishing it wacky? And do you fish it vertical on top of the brush pile or more at a horizontal angle with the boat off the brush pile?

Scout'nStripers

Good tip Jim. I like the VMC hooks as well with the breakoff weights. Have you been nose hooking or been fishing it wacky? And do you fish it vertical on top of the brush pile or more at a horizontal angle with the boat off the brush pile?
Thanks Richie, I nose hook the majority of my baits. If I'm right on top or around the brush I try to keep the line as vertical as possible. If I get hung in the brush it's a lot easier to get out if the line is vertical. I do cast the drop shot around the brush piles, let it sink and slowly drag it back every once in a while. Here's my drop shot video to show how I hook my worms.

Lanier Jim

Ahhhhhh - so the ancient Chinese / Japanese folks drop shot fished too. I assume they used live worms back then :)

Papa Bear

Cool video Jim. While I have stuck my crappie jigs in noodles for a while, will need to try your trick on the DS rigs. My daughters are going to be asking dad why the pool noodles keep getting shorter! LOL