How would you mix/plant this?

CraKaLaCKiN

I have several areas to put in fall plots and would like some input. I plan on getting this seed down in late Sept for palatability as well as trying to avoid army worms.

1) 6 acres that was overgrown and had previously been a horse pasture many years ago. I have recently had this cleared (like 2 weeks ago). I'm having lime spread on Saturday 9/30 at 2k tons per acre. I'm currently awaiting soil test results. I need to put something down for erosion and have ordered Winter Rye to use here. Maybe some of the crimson clover too. This area is along a road that gets a lot of traffic. I don't want to tempt the poachers too much. Maybe plant the 1/2 closest to the woods with addition BFO & peas?

2) I have (3) 3 acre fields currently planted with Whitetail Institute Power Plant with a Pheasants Forever dove mix planted around the edges. These plots have done pretty well. I put lime down in January '14 per soil test and fertilized shortly after planting. I do have a LOT of coffee weed in these areas. I'm going to bush hog a 1-2 acre area in the center of the field closest to #1 above. I want to plant a winter plot here as well. The other 2 fields are closer to the property line which has a 10 person hunting club.

Should I just mow ALL this down and plant it all?

3) I have (3) 1/4 acre plots that were limed in January. I think I'll plant BFO, winter rye and clover in these areas.

Here is the seed I currently have on hand

250lbs Buck Forage Oats

350lbs Winter Rye (cereal grains NOT grass)

36lbs Whitetail Inst clover

50lb Dixie Crimson Clover

30lbs Whitetail Inst Extreme

150lbs of Whistler Peas

How would you mix/distribute this across the areas that I have identified?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Oats, rye & crimson clover will be your most tolerant of acidic soils. The ph won't change much on the soil that you're liming this weekend, so use it there.

Field peas prefer a 6.0 ph or better, so use them in your better soil. For a mix, you could use 50 lbs of rye, 50 of oats, 20 of peas and 10 lbs/acre of crimson clover. It's good to have a mix in case something fails. Do you have inoculant for your peas?

For the area next to the road, maybe, this weekend, or before a rain, just try broadcasting a 15 foot swath of deer corn, giving it lots of nitrogen. It won't mature, but it may get tall enough to block some view in the next 45 days ... maybe ..... next year, do something like that earlier in the year.

For your small 1/4 acre plots that have been limed good, put your high dollar clovers in there. Get some good (almost) year round food established there.

Anywhere you have coffeeweed, mow it, or disc it, before it drops any seed.

livetohunt

I would take a close look at Pennington's deluxe fall mix...It has a lot of what you are looking for. Add some buck forage oats to the mixture if you want to increase the % of oats...The same place that is spreading your lime carries that Pennington mix.