How's the fish bite around Tybee

Tadder

Just wondering what folks are catchen . Whats water temp savannah river area and around Little Tybee. Not asking where just what ya catchen. (y)

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Was down there last week surf fishing. I didn't catch anything, but saw a few others catching whiting and croaker off the beach. Water temp was pretty warm. Was using shrimp.

FOLES55

Fished the pier last week for a few hours around sunset into the dark and only a small whiting was caught using squid. Not impressed to say the least. LOTS of guys fishing the pier and little to no action off the pier.

Hopefully it will get better for you soon, best of luck.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
There's a second pier around the backside/south end of the island, on the river. There were a few guys fishing back there the one morning I tried it. I had no luck, but apparently one guy had caught a shark off that pier the day before.

Tadder

Sounds like water temp may have every thing slowed down, may wait a few more weeks to come down to fish. I've been there in july and had blast but also been there with it like y'all just said . Thanks Folks.

Tadpole23

Depending on surf conditions I use around 12 lb main with 1 oz egg sinker then swivel and 30 lb leader to a 1/0 hook. Hook mullet from bottom of mouth thru the nose throw it out and work it back slow. You will fill a thump but wait a few seconds then set the hook. If you set the hook at the thump you will miss alot of fish.

mavelar

I'm taking a trip down there with my father-in-law Tuesday. I have always fished the back pier and do really well with live or fresh dead shrimp. Mostly whiting, sharks and rays.

Has anyone tried the river delta or know of any other places to try? I'm looking to snag a few crabs for the evening as well. Ill definitely give the flounder setup a try.

jasper181

Im guessing you will be fishing from shore, whats left of the jetties as well as the sand bars at both the north and south ends of the beach will hold trout, flounder, whiting, sheepshead and redfish.

Fletch_W

Banned
Depending on surf conditions I use around 12 lb main with 1 oz egg sinker then swivel and 30 lb leader to a 1/0 hook. Hook mullet from bottom of mouth thru the nose throw it out and work it back slow. You will fill a thump but wait a few seconds then set the hook. If you set the hook at the thump you will miss alot of fish.

Thanks. Where do you catch your mullet from shore? If you have to buy mudminnows, do those work just as good? Also, I've been told to use kahle hooks for flounder, something about the geometry of the hook and the way a flounder takes it. You wait for the thump that you mentioned, count to ten-mississippi, then just start reeling and the hook self-sets, no "hook set" required. Your thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions, I have caught just about every inshore species in my lifetime, but flounder have eluded me.

jasper181

Thanks. Where do you catch your mullet from shore? If you have to buy mudminnows, do those work just as good? Also, I've been told to use kahle hooks for flounder, something about the geometry of the hook and the way a flounder takes it. You wait for the thump that you mentioned, count to ten-mississippi, then just start reeling and the hook self-sets, no "hook set" required. Your thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions, I have caught just about every inshore species in my lifetime, but flounder have eluded me.
I know the question was for Tadpole but I do a lot of flounder fishing targeting them specifically during the summer. Ive catch probably 200 a summer or so and would catch more if time allowed.

Now granted, Im fishing from a boat but have done a ton when shore bound. I fish at the navy base at night in PCB with my brother quite a bit from the seawall. A kahl hook on a Carolina rig is my go when using live bait, mudminnows with finger mullet a close seco for flounder. Live shrimp are great but during the summer the bait stealers are thick and shrimp just dont last. I really like artificle because I can cover more ground, and can thoroughly cover an area. One thing about them vs other fish is they arent going to move much to get the bait as they are ambush predators so for this reason I find artificials and minows on a jig head work better. When fishing from land I will try to use multiple rods or reposition my bait if not getting any bites staying close to the structure. Gulp twist tail grubs like the swimming mullet are awesome as well as a jig head with a bull minnow, those two are my go to.

During the summer if you can find good structure the chances are you will find flounder. Jetties, docks, piling clusters and live oyster rakes adjacent to a mudflat/sandbar are all spots to check out. My best tides are the last two hours of the outgoing tide and the first two hours of the incoming tide. The big doormats will start heading offshore in the fall to spawn, late summer and early fall are my favorite time to fish the inlets and jetties. I start at the deepest part first and becuase they ae ambush predators and bury up I often find them on the leeward side where the water eddies so they can lay in wait for the current to sweep the bait fish by. Any curve , missing rocks or similiar things can cause an eddy for flounder to lay up in.

I know that is probably much more than you asked for but I get excited over flounder abd for years I much like many others caught most of my flounder as a bicatch when fishing for trout. Once I figured out that I could actually target them and started catching limits I found myself looking for flounder spots everytime I went out. Plus its something that is very productive during the summer if I dont want to make the trip out looking for spawning trout on the beaches.

Last edited:

Tadpole23

Kahle hooks work great. I use a 6 foot cast net to get finger mullet. Mudminnows work good too. Like the guy said above using artificial bait can be good because the bluefish can be bad at times but I catch enough mullet I don't worry about bait.

fuelman1

I prefer mud minnows simply because they are much hardier. Mullet minnows need a lot of oxygenated water to stay healthy. Especially this time of year. Shrimp are plentiful right now but as Fletch said, bait stealers clean you hook in no time and you spend a lot of time putting on fresh bait.