Hummingbird Service Policy ???

FJFISHING

My son's 798 ci Hummingbird needs the rear housing, the clips that connect to the quick release mount have broken off.
Here is what was sent in email.

They want over $ 200 to fix it?

Is this good custmomer service??

I for one don't think so the unit is working fine just need the rear housing?

Just for the $$$$$$$

Anyone else have problems with Hummingbird part / service?

Read on!!!!

Dear Mr. ----------,

Thank you for contacting Humminbird. We appreciate your interest in our products. I apologize for any inconvenience but as the prior representative stated, that part cannot be purchased separate. The unit will have to come it so the technicians can replace it.

If we can assist you further on this subject or any other Humminbird related questions please feel free email us again or contact our Customer Resource Center at 1-800-633-1468 to speak with a Customer Service Representative. Our hours are Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Good Boating and Fishing!

Beverly, CRC

Customer Service Representative

Johnson Outdoors Inc.

678 Humminbird Ln

Eufaula AL 36027

Phone: 1 800 633 1468

Fax: 334 687 1163

Date: 11/19/2014 5:35:22 AM
To: humminbirdselectservice@humminbird.com
Subject: Re: Contact Us Submission Humminbird.com [#1306]

Dear Hummingbird service,

To whom it may concern

I don't need any service all I need is the rear housing of the unit, since it is not under warranty, I'll pay for it.
Again I don't need service to the unit.
I need customer service.
Am I going to get it?

Thank You.

------------------------

In a message dated 11/18/2014 10:19:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, humminbirdselectservice@humminbird.com writes:
Dear Mr. -----------,

If the rear housing is broken on the unit then the unit would need to come in for service. This would be a part that cannot be purchased separately.

We will be glad to service your unit at no charge if it is less than one year from the date of purchase and you can provide us with a copy of your receipt, a canceled check or credit card statement showing the purchase date of your unit. If your unit came pre-installed on your new boat as standard equipment then a copy of your bill of sale for the boat will be accepted.

If your unit has exceeded the one year warranty there will be a service charge for the repair. The service charge of your model can be found on our website by clicking on: Support/Contact Support/Service & Maintenance/Repair Fees or by copying and pasting this link into your browser: http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/RepairFees/ All service charges are in US dollars. Physical damage is not covered under any warranties: Manufacturer’s or Extended.

If you are located in the US, the service charge includes all parts, labor, return shipping back to you, and a three-month warranty from the date of repair. The service charge also includes all accessories such as your power cord, transducer, GPS receiver and the temp-speed gauge if they are returned with the unit on the initial service. Service turn around is five working days (does not include freight times to or from the factory) and will be returned to you via Fed Ex Ground (to a physical address) or US Postal Service (only if going to an APO or PO Box). Fed Ex is our preferred carrier and can be traced after shipment so we would prefer a physical address.

If you are located in Canada please copy and paste this link into your browser for alternate instructions. http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/Authorized-Service-Centers---Canada/

If you are located outside of the US or Canada, please reply to this email with your location as well as the dealer name and country of purchase for additional instructions.

You may pay with a money order, cashier’s check or credit card. If paying by credit card please call us at 1-800-633-1468 prior shipment to receive a return authorization number. The Service Department address is:

Humminbird-Attn: Service Dept.

678 Humminbird Lane

Eufaula, AL 36027

When returning your unit to us for service, please return to us in a box that you do not intend to keep. We do not return the original packaging of repairs.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience related to the defect of your unit. We want you back on the water as soon as possible. Please let us know if we can assist you further.

Good Fishing and Boating!

Sequenthia-CRC

StriperrHunterr

I'd be willing to bet that it's because the unit is weather sealed that they class it as a non-FRU.

You have a choice to make, it seems. Pay $200 to get the same unit back in operable condition, or buy a new unit.

Dryzdale

Seems like good customer service to me. They offered a resolution to the customers issue. Seems to cost more than anticipated but that doesn't (IMHO) equate to bad service. Sometimes customers just don't get what they want. It's a bad situation for you not bad customer service.