hunt outside the box!

Allen Oliver

Been working on getting my climbing sticks converted to use the Versa buttons and amsteel rope to attach to tree. I prefer to hunt out of my climber but the land I hunt has a lot of small trees on it. Going to try a little different approach this season. Stump Shooter was telling me about some of his setups that he sits that are only six to ten feet high. He has harvested out of these setups. Of course I have used a five gallon bucket before and had good results. Let's talk about some of the out of the box ways that you have been successful with guys. This might help some of us be more successful this coming season.

Stump Shooter

This is what I use, Allen and I use the same climber Open Shot, which at prime time I just swing the seat around to the back of the tree so I can get closer to the tree. Love this climber it is my go to for most of my hunts pretty light for a climber. Also using LoneWolf sticks and Assault stand lock on is easier to hunt low but I can do it from my open shot. All about staying in close to the tree until you have to reach out for the shot, can’t stand out there like on a diving board or you gonna get picked off. Back cover is nice to have.

Attachments

• CA11649C-2260-42AA-876A-51168173CFB8.jpeg
    CA11649C-2260-42AA-876A-51168173CFB8.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 10

Allen Oliver

This is what I use, Allen and I use the same climber Open Shot, which at prime time I just swing the seat around to the back of the tree so I can get closer to the tree. Love this climber it is my go to for most of my hunts pretty light for a climber. Also using LoneWolf sticks and Assault stand lock on is easier to hunt low but I can do it from my open shot. All about staying in close to the tree until you have to reach out for the shot, can’t stand out there like on a diving board or you gonna get picked off. Back cover is nice to have.
Back cover is more important than cover in front in my opinion.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I use the Lone Wolf set up a lot. Real quite stand. Use a summit climbing stand. I’m paranoid about cover. If I’m not satisfied with the cover in an area I usually don’t hunt that spot.

beaulesye10

I"ve been playing the saddle game the last three years. I like the tree in front of me more for filming in anticipation of getting the shot. I have found I can hunt a touch lower, but still like that 15-20 foot height. I agree back cover is best, but in late season it can get hard to find it.