Hunt Regulations For Next Year

spring

With the fixed number of days that have to be allocated, from where would you take away days in order to put them where you think is best?

spring

Here in South GA ....some of our better shoots are late October and early November.

I wouldn't mind opening day being moved back two/three weeks ...too hot to hunt ...

The feed is gone by Christmas... ...

I’m in South Ga, too and enjoy hunting the migratory birds after Christmas... Much of the problem is when they try to satisfy the whole state with the same seasons. The treaty with Mexico limits our number of hunting days; some people like September hunts, others like it in fall, and others like the migratory birds that we’re now able to hunt. Lots of birds in South Ga right now.

spring

True, most of the crops planted last spring are gone. Things planted last summer, however, are still around and the birds are currently hitting them hard.

BriarPatch99

Most of the farmers around here are into farming for the $$ and not interested in planting food for doves ... I have offered seed and fertilizer for a small spot .... But they are only interested in the crops ... If the doves gather ....we can have shoots ...but not the planting ...

The best shoots occurs during Oct., Nov, & Dec ....then the feed is gone or harrowed under..

spring

Plant your milo or millet right after harvesting corn and the field will be popular when the birds migrate down.

across the river

Hunting Regulations For Next Year.

I hope some of you will attend the regulation meetings or at least email them your concerns about dove seasons for next year .... I for one do not like missing October and November dove seasons ....

The funny thing about this is the regulations were moved, because a lot of people wanted the season extended later at the expense of time in the middle. Now people are fussing about moving it up at the expense of time at other parts of the season. One thing is 100% certain, and that is regardless of what the DNR does, someone is going to complain about it.

cowhornedspike

The funny thing about this is the regulations were moved, because a lot of people wanted the season extended later at the expense of time in the middle. Now people are fussing about moving it up at the expense of time at other parts of the season. One thing is 100% certain, and that is regardless of what the DNR does, someone is going to complain about it.

A few are fussing but I am pretty sure most are happy with the new dates we have for doves. Most that I know have good shoots early and then there aren't many doves around until January anyway.

spring

There have been dove shoots around my farm every weekend lately and I haven't been there during the week to see if there are others going on then. I doubt those going on these shoots would vote to cut out the January hunt dates.

BriarPatch99

Well you can count me in the group that is complaining...

across the river

Well you can count me in the group that is complaining...

Oh, I picked that up already from your other posts. The DNR sent out surveys and gathered information before the moved it, and had a ton of support for moving it. Now you are trying to get a bunch of people together to get them to move it back. I just think it is funny that is all. Regardless of what they do someone is going to be unhappy. I just think they have to go with the majority, which is what I think the did. Good luck though. If you do get them to move it back, I guess I will just hunt them in October.

BriarPatch99

Well it would be so funny if you wasn't getting to hunt ....but I see I wasted my time ....

I gave my reasons for wanting the season moved back ....

I hope you are happy ...

across the river

Well it would be so funny if you wasn't getting to hunt ....but I see I wasted my time ....

I gave my reasons for wanting the season moved back ....

I hope you are happy ...

Dude, get your feelings hurt much? I get it. You have a place to hunt early season, but no where to hunt late season, so you think we should move the whole season back to accommodate you.

spring

An idea might be to work with some of the landowners you know to get some grains planted after their summer harvest.... You could be in good shape next season if you make some progress on this in the next 6 months.... The migratory birds are fun to hunt; just takes some planning by someone to be ready for them....

BriarPatch99

Spring ....I agree with your idea .... We have big farmers around here that are not interested in planting dove fields ...but they will allow us to have dove shoots when there is a season and feed ... I work part time with one of them ...offered to furnish seed, fertilizer and plant ...they are only interested in farm crops... And just as soon as corn is picked they harrow up the fields ....May be able to get a shoot in before the scattered seed sprouts ....doves don't care for growing corn ...the rest is cotton ...

It was just a simple suggestion ....that folks that find themselves in the same position ...ask for some of the season back into Oct & Nov. I would not mind even giving up the opening week for a some time when we have feed ....

spring

I sort of doubt that all of the landowners in the area collectively determined to prevent anyone from planting some strips of milo in August across a picked field. If they are harrowing their corn fields as soon as they are picked already, the fields will be of little use to you a month later for a dove shoot anyway.
Again, maybe expand some of your landowner relationships in the next 6 months.
There is also a SW Ga dove club that has shoots about every weekend of the season. Somehow they are able to pull all this off. If you can't do this all yourself, maybe join up with one of the clubs that shows they can...