Hunt Regulations For Next Year

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Opening weekend isn't getting moved anywhere...anytime. The vast majority of dove hunters hunt the first two weekends and never step foot in a field again. The timing allows them to get in hunts before deer season kicks in and then they forget all about doves.

Personally, I would like to have those middle dates back again as we don't have that many birds hanging around late in the season in our area. I know South Georgia is different due to farm land.

BriarPatch99

We have big farmers around here that are not interested in planting dove fields ...but they will allow us to have dove shoots when there is a season and feed ... I work part time with one of them ...offered to furnish seed, fertilizer and plant ...they are only interested in farm crops... And just as soon as corn is picked they harrow up the fields ....May be able to get a shoot in before the scattered seed sprouts ....doves don't care for growing corn ...the rest is cotton ...

It was just a simple suggestion ....that folks that find themselves in the same position ...ask for some of the season back into Oct & Nov. I would not mind even giving up the opening week for a some time when we have feed ....

Maybe I wasn't clear enough ....none of the big farm operations are willing or interested in allow anyone to plant ..... I am not talking just next door farmers but surrounding farmers ....

So your doubts are unfounded .... I have tried and tried time after ....

BriarPatch99

There is also a SW Ga dove club that has shoots about every weekend of the season. Somehow they are able to pull all this off. If you can't do this all yourself, maybe join up with one of the clubs that shows they can...

Money ......

spring

There is also a SW Ga dove club that has shoots about every weekend of the season. Somehow they are able to pull all this off. If you can't do this all yourself, maybe join up with one of the clubs that shows they can...

Money ......

I appreciate that. Just an awful lot cheaper to be a member of a dove club than managing the property yourself. Since you’ve offered seed and fertilizer to landowners, it sounds like there’s some disposable income somewhere, and I suspect the cost of planting a field, as you’ve already offered landowners all around SW Georgia to do, only to be summarily rejected (gotta work on your approach, I think), you maybe could use a portion of that cash to get the loads of dove shoots that a club would offer.

Seems like I’m pushing a rope here.... ?

spring

I am in SE GA .... and it is peanuts and cotton ... 2% corn ... pine trees ....

Definitely a factor in all this if you’re only looking at landowners growing peanuts.

Here’s your game plan. Go to landowners that live in the highlighted counties below. The good thing is that there’s a good bit right where you live.

237399F3-748E-48E2-8F13-2848C0F1E23E.jpeg

TurkeyH90

I dont feel like the regs changes were truly felt until implemented. I dont recall being contacted about the changes but may have been. Regardless, IF u follow the trail I would say this leads to $. Those leasing and subleasing fields have more to gain from the late season. Those small time folks who dont lease fields and plant their own small family field would like to maximize their investment. I fall in the latter and I enjoy shoots in October more so than September or January.

spring

The newest survey is out; glad to see it keeps the late season largely in place but does provide options to get the season on into October.
Better for the OP?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Hunting Regulations For Next Year.

I hope some of you will attend the regulation meetings or at least email them your concerns about dove seasons for next year .... I for one do not like missing October and November dove seasons ....
Just got done with the survey , and I agree

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ll also add that there’s some good shoots going on in your area briarpatch , they probably aren’t legal , but what else do you think happens to those wagons full of split peanuts from all the mills in your area !

albrown100

We don't have any feed ... no corn .... Peanuts been gone .... Cotton ...
I understand, but some of us plant dove fields, and stage our crop to mow and have fresh feed. We have shot these Migratory bird in this field the last 3 weekends and had good shoots , headed out for the last one this year in a few minutes . We are in SE Ga.

spring

Why not have season open every Saturday throughout the season and takeaway some weekday shooting? BB

That certainly makes sense to me and something I brought up on this forum years ago when the discussing the exact same thing. As I learned then, there's an aspect of the US/Mexican treaty on migratory birds, which of course determines our total number allowable hunting days, that allows only a limited number of breaks in the season. Starting and stopping it each week, which would allow the hunting season to extend over a much longer time frame, isn't allowed under the treaty.

Beagler

From what i just looked at, it looks like the proposed dove season is the same as the last two years.