Hunting Eastern Washington State

LOVEMYLABXS

Hey folks well been takin the Hawkins for some nice walks lately but just can't seem to get to pull the trigger.

For those that want to know here's a little story so far this year.

Reg for Washington State in the unit I hunt. 1st off you have to pick your weapon (bow, modern or muzzy) and you can only hunt in that season. For muzzy it opened last Saturday and runs till tomorrow the 6th. Bucks only either Whitetail or Muley but it must have atleast 3 points on oneside. Any elk opened today and runs till Friday (muzzy only) they are out there seen them and have pics but they are few and far between with around 40,000 ac of sage to hide in.

In my 40+ years of muzzleloading I've gotten Whitetail and elk but never a Muley so I guess you can say it's on my Bucket List. Turned 68 this year and the walkin out here ain't to bad but I always keep in the back of my mind the fact that I'll be packing anything out on my back, most of my old hunting buds have moved on oneway or another so I hunt alone most of the time.

The 1st day started out looking like it could be good got the first snow fall, not much but some but it melted off pretty quick. A quick look across the grass and sage brush towards the mountains.

100_1955-1.JPG

100_1956-1.JPG

I've been seeing game just can't find one with that 3 pt min.

100_1946-1.JPG
100_1966-1.JPG

100_1967-1.JPG

LOVEMYLABXS

This brings us to today and looking like all the rest. I think I must have jumped and seen a dozen does

100_1976-1.JPG

100_1982-1.JPG

Guess it was about 3 hours or so of wandering around in the Baslat rock and sage stopping looking and glassing hey at least you can see a long ways.

100_1985-1.JPG

LOVEMYLABXS

Now I got a nice spot sitting behind this basalt outcropping when 3/4 to a mile off I think I see movement in the sage. Throw up the binocs and I'm see horns coming thru the sage then they step out …. 3 bucks but so far off not sure on point counts but theys coming my way. Mush a couple of pics then get the Hawkins ready got a good rest and they are headed in my direction. Not sure iffin they'll pas close enough when they start fading to the south ( my right) and this is looking really good now. All of a sudden they turn pretty sharp and go out of site about 300 yrds out and disappear, turns out there's a small draw the spurs off the main one. I back off my spot and try to hurry as much as an OLD GUY can in this rocky terrain without taking the chance of falling dawn and getting hurt in the middle of nowhere. I come around the corner and they have beat me there and are out 2 maybe 250 yrds out and still just walking. More ducking for cover and trying to get around them. This went on several time and even though they were just walking I wasn't able to close up. Finall the last I saw them they were a 1/2 mile or better off and had now started trotting never goin to catch them now. Good thing is that I at least got some pics with my Kodak they might look closer then they are it's got 12 power zoom.

100_1986 -1.JPG

Wasn't to sure on points on the other 2 but knew this one was good and was the one I'd take if they had got close enough.
100_1988-1.JPG

Turns out another had 3 but didn't know this for sure till I got home and looked at the pics.
Oh well one more day to try maybe tomorrow.

100_1990-1.JPG

100_1991-1.jpg

LOVEMYLABXS

Last day yesterday of the 9 day season and making number 7 for me. Went right back out to the spot of the bucks not really figuring they'd be there but maybe something else had moved in. No bucks seen but did jump some more does. Maybe next year I'll get that Muley buck for now I'll wait on the late Nov. season change areas and have to try for a whitetail. Still has to have the 3 pt min but can take a doe if I get a chance.
100_1993-2.JPG

100_1994-2.JPG

It was fun to watch but then they decided it was time to leave

100_2000-2.JPG

Time to follow suit and move on ……. But wait what's that?

100_1997-2.JPG

Yep another doe and fawn checking me out.

100_1996-2.JPG
Oh well that's hunting guess I'll just wish you folks GOOD LUCK and Happy Hunting.
Mike