Hunting golf course question

I shot this buck with my bow in a 10 acre patch of brush in the middle of a golf course years ago. I had permission from the golf course to archery hunt. After I shot it, I showed it to the groundskeeper. He was impressed to say the least. He approached me and told me a week later that I was told I was not allowed to hunt there any more. The grounds-keeper put a stand up where I had mine the following year. lol

I should never have told them I killed that buck there.

When I killed the deer there were 5 people T'ing off 50 yards away.

Picture 048.jpg

earlthegoat2

Is there an HOA?

Where I work, the HOA strictly forbids any and all harming of wildlife.

Only, at their specific discretion is there any hunting. Usually that is hog trapping and an annual deer cull done by the Dept of Ag. (They are not doing a very good job of it if you ask me. There are deer everywhere)

A golf course is part of this HOA. Even homeowners giving permission would not be enough to hunt there. Homeowners are generally woefully ignorant of their housing covenants so you see where I am going here.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I showed it to the groundskeeper. He was impressed to say the least. He approached me and told me a week later that I was told I was not allowed to hunt there any more. The grounds-keeper put a stand up where I had mine the following year. lol

It never ceases to amaze me that folks want to steal a spot after the big one has been removed.

True story. The first 6 good bucks I killed in my life landed me off limits to those properties. All 6 landowners that had given me permission booted me out after they saw what I killed.

People wonder why I am so secretive about what I kill and where. This is why. I stopped telling people where I kill what years ago.

SC Hunter

True story. The first 6 good bucks I killed in my life landed me off limits to those properties. All 6 landowners that had given me permission booted me out after they saw what I killed.

People wonder why I am so secretive about what I kill and where. This is why. I stopped telling people where I kill what years ago.
Prime example of why I don't tell anybody where I kill deer at. I have a select few people that I'll tell and that's it. I got burned one time by showing a deer to a fella and the next day I got a text that they weren't allowing anymore hunting. I will post an occasional dink on Facebook but anything big goes from the taxidermist to the wall and nobody sees it.

rstallings1979

Prime example of why I don't tell anybody where I kill deer at. I have a select few people that I'll tell and that's it. I got burned one time by showing a deer to a fella and the next day I got a text that they weren't allowing anymore hunting. I will post an occasional dink on Facebook but anything big goes from the taxidermist to the wall and nobody sees it.
Can I see your wall?

ucfireman

Is there an HOA?

Where I work, the HOA strictly forbids any and all harming of wildlife.

Only, at their specific discretion is there any hunting. Usually that is hog trapping and an annual deer cull done by the Dept of Ag. (They are not doing a very good job of it if you ask me. There are deer everywhere)

A golf course is part of this HOA. Even homeowners giving permission would not be enough to hunt there. Homeowners are generally woefully ignorant of their housing covenants so you see where I am going here.

I thought there was a state law that protected hunting from being regulated by others except for local govts,
https://codes.findlaw.com/ga/title-27-game-and-fish/ga-code-sect-27-1-3.html

(h) Except as otherwise provided by general law, the power and duty to promulgate rules and regulations relating to hunting, trapping, and fishing rests solely with the board. No political subdivision of the state may regulate hunting, trapping, or fishing by local ordinance; provided, however, that a local government shall not be prohibited from exercising its management rights over real property owned or leased by it for purposes of prohibiting hunting, fishing, or trapping upon the property or for purposes of setting times when access to the property for purposes of hunting, fishing, or trapping in accordance with this title may be permitted. Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, from reasonably limiting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the political subdivision for purposes of public safety.

I read this as the local govt can tell you you cannot hunt on their property. No other "entity" which I account as a HOA can restrict this "right"
I guess you could argue the HOA owns the golf course and it is "private property".
A lot of times the HOA does not own the golf courses, they are a separate entity, I guess you would just have to see how the one you want to hunt is set up.

P.S. I don't have a HOA ( so no dog in the fight) but I feel they have WAY TOO MUCH AUTHORITY.

earlthegoat2

I thought there was a state law that protected hunting from being regulated by others except for local govts,
https://codes.findlaw.com/ga/title-27-game-and-fish/ga-code-sect-27-1-3.html

(h) Except as otherwise provided by general law, the power and duty to promulgate rules and regulations relating to hunting, trapping, and fishing rests solely with the board. No political subdivision of the state may regulate hunting, trapping, or fishing by local ordinance; provided, however, that a local government shall not be prohibited from exercising its management rights over real property owned or leased by it for purposes of prohibiting hunting, fishing, or trapping upon the property or for purposes of setting times when access to the property for purposes of hunting, fishing, or trapping in accordance with this title may be permitted. Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, from reasonably limiting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the political subdivision for purposes of public safety.

I read this as the local govt can tell you you cannot hunt on their property. No other "entity" which I account as a HOA can restrict this "right"
I guess you could argue the HOA owns the golf course and it is "private property".
A lot of times the HOA does not own the golf courses, they are a separate entity, I guess you would just have to see how the one you want to hunt is set up.

P.S. I don't have a HOA ( so no dog in the fight) but I feel they have WAY TOO MUCH AUTHORITY.

It may only be on the non-residential parcels of the development then…..which includes the golf course. It also includes a 100 acre water reclamation area that is full of deer and hogs. It is private property of the association and they don’t allow the killing of any animals there save for the specific situations for hogs and deer. This is just for where I speak of also. May not affect your situation.

Blackston

It may only be on the non-residential parcels of the development then…..which includes the golf course. It also includes a 100 acre water reclamation area that is full of deer and hogs. It is private property of the association and they don’t allow the killing of any animals there save for the specific situations for hogs and deer. This is just for where I speak of also. May not affect your situation.
Is this 100 acres on Skidaway if so ... There’s some critters around them “ spray fields “ !!!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Municipalities in the state can not make laws regarding hunting per se but they can make laws regarding the discharge of "dangerous weapons". These weapons can include bb guns and probably spit ball straws.

Regulating spitball straws might not be a bad idea. Did y'all make wooden match stem darts to shoot out of straws back in the day? We would put a needle in one end of a kitchen match stem anda paper tail in a split in the other end. Launched from a drinking straw they were deadly out to 15 to 20 ft.

Lukikus2

1,000 acres in the middle of a golf course and I would be giddy! I hunted some unpatrolled gov't land back in the day. Lots of good sign around bombing ranges :ROFLMAO:

Seriously.

Got trespassed from all the good golf courses.

earlthegoat2

Is this 100 acres on Skidaway if so ... There’s some critters around them “ spray fields “ !!!

Why yes it is. They have a trapper I guess but I have never seen him. Wouldn’t mind introducing myself to assist in the hog control.

Blackston

Why yes it is. They have a trapper I guess but I have never seen him. Wouldn’t mind introducing myself to assist in the hog control.
In another life I spent ALOT of time on that island ( killed a bunch of animals ) My daddy hunted it before it had a bridge It’s a beautiful place

Lukikus2

No ATV's on the course. Got to rent a golf cart. Or hoof it in and out. Or bicycles. When you get caught those ways and the course is accessible from water, well. Been there done that. :LOL:

CaptKeith

The really good thing about hunting on a golf course is if you miss your first shot you can take a mulligan and do it over!