hunting planted pines?

deersled

My lease has a bunch of planted pines probably 10-15 ft tall. Pretty thick stuff. I've never hunted this kind of stuff before, but I imagine the deer are in there. Do any of you guys hunt this kind of stuff with any success? How's the best way to scout it? What type of terrain features within the pines do you look for? thanks

franklinm

Deersled Yes I do hunt planted pines , and yes the deer do feed in there , if you can find a place where there are what I call scrub oaks that grow up with the pines you have found a Honey hold , these oaks will be low to the ground but will still have acorns , some are called turky oak also low bush acorns , I used a low trypod only the top part of a fourteen footer or a blind , just walk into the pines where you can you will find deer trail`s . :D

Bowhunter24

do what franklinm said are u will have some luck, i have also hunted alot of pines in my day, i like to do what frank said and i also like trasition areas, where the thick meets the open or if the pines meet hardwoods stuff like that, i have had alot of luck like that and if u wanna spice things up plant a foodplot on the edge of them thick pines, i have had alot of luck doing that also

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Always Always hunt those pines in the rain. Deer love to be in that type of surrounding in the rain I ve killed more in the rain in the oines than you can shake a stickat including my biggest buck yet.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Here is an idea i have seen work. Figure out a spot in the pines that you can access easy and put the wind in your favor. Use yuor weedeater to clear out all the weeds and brush between 2 rows of pines about a 100 long, and set up a ground blind. The deer will walk right down the nice trail you have made.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Thunder Head said:
Here is an idea i have seen work. Figure out a spot in the pines that you can access easy and put the wind in your favor. Use yuor weedeater to clear out all the weeds and brush between 2 rows of pines about a 100 long, and set up a ground blind. The deer will walk right down the nice trail you have made.
Done that to and it works you can do the same thing with a 4 wheeler in a chop feild that is thick with briars.

7Mag Hunter

Hunting Planted Pines

I agree with Branchminnow....I love to still hunt planted pines during or just
after a light rain....Just move VERY SLOWLY into the wind ....I have walked
up on deer bedded and shot them at point blank range....I walk the roads and
find trails that lead into the pines, and start on the downwind side of the trail
and just pick your way thru the trees....Remember deer will also look for the
easiest path thru the thick stuff, so just try to stay downwind of the main
trail or openings....
I have a Ruger 44mag carbine that is perfect for this type hunting, and very
effective at close range....Most shots will be colse...15-20 yards...If that far... :hair: :hair:
Try it...Just watch the wind and move VERY VERY slowly......Slower that
'lasses in winter........
Good luck!!!

7mag hunter

leoparddog

Hunting planted pines is like bass fishing. Find the structure and/or transitions zones and you'll find deer.

Look for gullies and places where deer will cross them and or bed in them in the briars.

Look for where they pushed up the piles of trash wood to let it rot. It will sprout shrubs and hardwoods and berries. The deer in the pines will go to these places to put their rubs and scrapes. If the piles are big and new, they will act like terrain funnels and the deer will cross in certain places.

Clear yourself some shooting lanes late this summer and find a place to take a seat on the ground or on a low chair. Sometimes you can pick up enough branches and straw to make a low ground blind.

If the understory is fairly open, watch for the deer to spread out and one to get behind you and spook the other ones. This has been my biggest challenge. Watching a prime trail/scrape/rub and here come a couple up wind and one downwind. The downwind one lets the others know you are there.
This is less of a challenge with single bucks, but if the bucks are following the does - you know the deal.

When possible I put something behind me that will limit the deer movement there. Trash wood piles, a gulley, a creek or a road