Hunting/Practicing with Mechanicals

FlipKing

I haven't hunted archery in almost a decade(wasn't successful at it back then lol) but got a crossbow and am attempting it this year. I've decided to run Rage X mechanicals in my Wrath 430x. It seems companies used to included practice mechanical broadhead but the rage didn't. Is the expectation that they will fly like a field tip or am I supposed to ruin an expensive broad head shooting it repeatedly into a target to confirm POI?

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

Back when I used mechanicals for both crossbow and compound, I just made the leap of faith that they would hit same POA/POI as the target points.

They did.

Unethical….eh….

Now I use Ramcats and they are the only fixed blade I have seen that hit the same POA/POI as my target points. This way I can practice at least.

Qazaq15

Yeah, I would. Just have the one crappy one you use for sighting in. I've taken mechanicals apart and touched up the blades in a table vice, they can be refurbished. You don't want to be wondering about it when you're looking at a deer.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Sevr Mechanicals have a set screw lock on the wings. If you want reassurance they will fly like your field points you can lock them and shoot you hunting broadhead.

FlipKing

I've seen a suggestion of tying the blades in place so they don't open. May try that. At almost $15 per, trashing one just hurts lol

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I've seen a suggestion of tying the blades in place so they don't open. May try that. At almost $15 per, trashing one just hurts lol
Yep, one shot at a time. :bounce:

F.A.R.R.

I saw pictures of one of the bucks your after in the trailcam section, wouldn’t leave it to chance if you get to lay the crosshairs on him.

It’s very likely there will be some change in where your Broadhead hits compared to the field points- especially at 430 FPS- even the mechanicals- go ahead and burn one and buy another pack.

FlipKing

I saw pictures of one of the bucks your after in the trailcam section, wouldn’t leave it to chance if you get to lay the crosshairs on him.

It’s very likely there will be some change in where your Broadhead hits compared to the field points- especially at 430 FPS- even the mechanicals- go ahead and burn one and buy another pack.
You're not wrong. Probably the right way to go. Need to figure out the tie trick. My main concern is getting the broadhead back out after the shot. But realistically it shouldn't take many shots if it's flying the same as field points

FlipKing

A lot of them come with a practice head, or you can order one.
The Rage X don't seem to anymore. I haven't had much luck sourcing one as of yet.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You're not wrong. Probably the right way to go. Need to figure out the tie trick. My main concern is getting the broadhead back out after the shot. But realistically it shouldn't take many shots if it's flying the same as field points
IF it’s on, it’s on and won’t take but a shot or two. I’ve shot broadheads repeatedly in my bone collector foam target, with a crossbow too. The only one that broke was an axe bh and the screw holding the blade came out the side From too much force…. My rage knock-off have no problem Kinda glad it happened and I won’t use them for hunting.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I shoot field points and locked broadheads from my crossbow into my bag target with no problems. They fly the same from my bow.

Just FYI……..

Ihunt

How much would you be willing to pay AFTER you realize not doing so was a mistake?

rab1951

I always shoot a broadhead or two to ensure poi is where it should be. Its expensive but I would rather be out a broadhead or two than to miss a deer or worse yet wound it and not beable to recover it. For a mechanical head I'm using the Swat x-mag TI and they shoot great. For a fixed head Im shooting Slick Tricks X Bow. Both 100 gr at about 350'/sec from an Excalibur bow. Good luck this season.