Hunting rights lease prices

buckmanmike

My family owns several tracts of land currently leased. Renewal will come up at the end of 2021 and we need to know what the current value is. We have long term leasers and want to keep them, but myself and immediate family are retired and looking to keep our prices in the fair market value.
Any input for per acre value? Land located in SWGA, size from 70 to 200+ acres. Most in planted pines(under contract) with some tracts having 20-40 acres under crop lease.
Area is highly sought after for hunting. Specifically Randolph Co.
Land is not for lease to anyone else, we just want a true value for both parties. Appreciate any input.

GeorgeShu

Its always tempting to raise prices when possible. Understand completely. If you are happy with the current folks on how they work with you and how they take care of things then do your best to work with them so they stay. You never know what may happen if you lose them and release to a new crowd. That old bird in the hand may be worth more than possible two in the bush saying ……
Good luck.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't know how long it has been since you changed your lease prices but if you have good folks there that you like you might be surprised at the answer if you ask them what they think the price should be.

Phillip Thurmond

I agree with the above post. That being said you didn’t say what your current price is. I think 15-20 per acre is a fair price for planted pines property I know if I were hunting strictly planted pines I would probably be looking to find land with a little more diversity and at least some yard woods. However having never seen your property it might be a honey hole.

snookdoctor

$12.50/ac for 800 acres just off 27 at the Randolph/Stewart line.

Gradual increase every year for the last 12 years. Started at $10.

madsam

This should be something that is discussed before deer season not at the
beginning. If they are good tenants of the land I would take that in account
before raising the lease price. $10-$12 is my worthless O.P.

WishboneW

How have your property taxes changed over time? Same for other costs of ownership. Your lease price fairly reflect those changes?

Mauser

I'm right beside you in Calhoun,and from what I'm hearing 20-25 is the norm depending on how much field vs woods. Old track I used to hunt 365 acres in wayback (yes it's a actual place) I know the people that leased it,paid 25 a acre. I've got some more guys now wanting some more land near their current lease will pay 25.

sghoghunter

Our lease is in quitman co and if I remember right ours $13 and some change an ac. It’s hard to put a dollar amount on land because you can have two tracts side by side and one will always be better. Also camp area is a plus,areas for food plots are a plus but no good road system could take away all the plus’s.

Lilly001

On timbered land W/O improvements I would start at an amount equal to the taxes on the plot.
Plus or minus from there depending on features.
And local lease prices are a feature to consider.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Have you asked the landowners around you with similar property what they are getting? If not, that is where I'd start.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I pay $15 an acre. 80% agriculture on 300 acres in Randolph. Farmer says it pays the taxes.