Hunting scope

bighonkinjeep

Burris E1 3-9x50 bright and clear, fully multi coated lenses, excellent light transmission and the best thing going in that price range. It has an exit pupil that rivals much more expensive optics (VX5) and a "Forever" warranty you don't need and you'll still have money for good mounts. Also has ballistic plex reticle for long shots that's much more user friendly while hunting than trying to dial distance while keeping your eye on game animals.Though most Burris are not made in the USA any longer, they are made by Burris employees on Burris equipment for Burris in the Philippines. Not a Chinese contract optic. ( The new Fullfield IVs however are Chinese contract optics but not the Fullfield 2s, E1s or higher end stuff with some of the higher end stuff being of USA manufacture)

Last edited:

Nimrod71

I am thinking of changing scopes on one of my deer hunting rifles. I am leaning towards a Burris 3-9. I looked at one recently at the LGS and I liked the way it looked and felt.

Rich M

Diamondback is a decent $200 class scope.

I got one last year for a simple BDC reticle and am pleased with it - clear, good for legal shooting time (pretty much if you can see the deer w naked eyes, you can shoot it).

Burris fulfield is another one that comes to mind - good glass for the $.

Mauser

Never had any dealings with Burris,so im not nocking them in any way. I put a vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 on my wife's 308 3 years ago,and a diamondback 1.75x5x32 on my 35 rem last year. No complaints so far,just as clear and bright as my old Leupold vari x III's,in about 20 years I can let you know if vortex held up as good lol. 200$ for a diamondback is a good dependable scope for the money to me.

The Rodney

Vortex has excellent glass in that range. Honestly though if you are hunting GA for deer inside 100yds most anything will do with a known name, Bushnell, Tasco if you are tight on cash. I like great scopes but I hunt thick so my shots rarely exceed 50yds. Better glass gives you more “light” at dawn and dusk meaning you can see better in poor light. I like large objectives for this….. the last of the three numbers on the scpope description. On your budget remember rail and rings that was 60 bucks for me last week. Mount your own it’s kinda fun!

Rich M

Which vortex has good light gathering
We were talking about good enough scopes that don’t break the bank. I just put a Diamondback on a rifle and it works fine during legal shooting times.

You’ll need a viper or better if you want to shoot in very low light. As in after or before shooting times or on real cloudy days.

Reactions: Dub

Gaswamp

Sig 4x12x50 hellfire was what I was considering
very happy with the sig I got....check cameraland they are great to deal with

Reactions: Dub

chuckdog

I admit that there's now lots of new brands and models that I haven't had any experience with.

Of the one's I have owned or tested the Leupold is tough to beat. I have recently purchased 3 new Burris scopes, all under $200 that blow away anything else I've looked through in their price range lately.

They were all the E1 series. One from Academy the 1" tube 3X9X50 @ $189ea. The two from Cabelas are 30mm tube 3X9X40 @ $149 each.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/burris-fullfield-e1-rifle-scope

The reticle pic and description at Cabelas are wrong. Neither elevation or windage are edge to edge. The reticle is centered, outer bars shown aren't there. This is what I have in the two I own. No clutter

1627831261119.png

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/burris-fullfield-e1-3-9x50-with-plex-reticle?sku=black-3-9x-50mm

The one at Academy isn't $189 now and it has a more standard wall to wall plex reticle.

I picked up the Academy one while comparing directly against more costly Vortex models in stock. I dislike 50mm objectives, still this one took the money from my pocket and followed me home. The much less forgiving eye relief of the Vortex makes them undesirable for me.

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

I admit that there's now lots of new brands and models that I haven't had any experience with.

Of the one's I have owned or tested the Leupold is tough to beat. I have recently purchased 3 new Burris scopes, all under $200 that blow away anything else I've looked through in their price range lately.

They were all the E1 series. One from Academy the 1" tube 3X9X50 @ $189ea. The two from Cabelas are 30mm tube 3X9X40 @ $149 each.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/burris-fullfield-e1-rifle-scope

The reticle pic and description at Cabelas are wrong. Neither elevation or windage are edge to edge. The reticle is centered, outer bars shown aren't there. This is what I have in the two I own. No clutter

View attachment 1094838

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/burris-fullfield-e1-3-9x50-with-plex-reticle?sku=black-3-9x-50mm

The one at Academy isn't $189 now and it has a more standard wall to wall plex reticle.

I picked up the Academy one while comparing directly against more costly Vortex models in stock. I dislike 50mm objectives, still this one took the money from my pocket and followed me home. The much less forgiving eye relief of the Vortex makes them undesirable for me.

I have a Burris E1 3-9x50 that I picked up several years ago on sale that came with a standard "edge to edge" plex reticle. I wasn't expecting that as the others I bought have the "E1" etched "floating" reticle same as yours. I'm guessing that's why it was about $50 less expensive than the others I had seen and was such a bargain. Apparently the item number for the etched "plex" reticle model is 200331 while the E1 with the floating etched "christmas tree style" E1 reticle is 200330. I also have bought several more E1s over the years in other powers and objective sizes and found them to be rock solid (they all have the "E1 reticle"). So far my preference on a hunting rig is for the 50mm objective versions which are even brighter than the others with an exit pupil of 17mm exceeding the numbers of a VX5HD, and allows an astounding amount of light at dusk and dawn.
Burris E1 3-9x50.jpg
I like them so much I just ordered another model 200331, I find the "plex reticle a little easier to pick up in low next to no light conditions. $149 at sportsmans warehouse with free shipping. ($159 after tax) You can sure spend a whole lot more, and get a whole lot less.

Last edited:

lonewolf247

Meopta Optika 5, for $329 is about the best bang for ~$300! I've seen them on sale for $299, at times, if $300 is the absolute cutoff.