Hunting seasons changes proposed

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I still don't understand the intent of the 10 doe/3 day either sex per hunter in Fannin.Has anyone got their doe limit?
Most I ever got was 3 and I felt guilty for that.
Sounds like its working in fannin then.
Where I hunt its doe day everyday and still never tagged out.

In Bibb county every day of deer season is either sex, regardless of the legal weapon season, archery or long gun. No shortage of whitetail deer in Bibb county.....

Dang things are everywhere, even in town.

across the river

I still don't understand the intent of the 10 doe/3 day either sex per hunter in Fannin.Has anyone got their doe limit?
Most I ever got was 3 and I felt guilty for that.

There is not a 10 doe limit in Fannin county. There is a state wide 10 doe limit per person. There is a 3 day either sex period in Fannin county because they want to lower the doe harvest in that county. Same goes for other counties with reduced doe days. It would make no sense to issue tags based on county, because many people hunt multiple counties. I'm sure there are people that hunt in Fannin county that hunt other counties. People need to quite getting hung up on the 10 doe limit, as very few people actually kill anywhere near 10 does. The major issue with population is habitat on a larger scale (northern mountain counties having lower populations than southern counties) and too many people hunting individual tracts of land on a localized scale (35 people on 1000 acre club all wanting to kill a deer and have family kill a deer. Overalll, the deer herd is fine, and probably in as good of shape as it has ever been.

across the river

The same DNR that has enacted statewide antler restrictions ?

You still have leeway, because only one deer has any antler restrictions. The DNR has to try to find a spot between having a too many does and a few young bucks (like the 90s), but still have enough deer to maintain the liberal seasons and limits we are accustom to.

I don't need fish limits to manage my pond, and there are plenty of people out there that could do a fabulous job managing the deer, turkey's, quail, etc.... on their own place or with the surrounding landowners without laws.

You likely very rarely if ever need law enforcement in you neighborhood or rural community, but unfortunately, there are plenty of neighborhoods and communities throughout the nation where people can't manage themselves and laws and law enforcement are both needed. The same goes for wildlife. While there are plenty of people who don't really even need regulations, there are plenty of people that make laws and regulations a necessity. Be thankful the state is still in a place that we don't have week long seasons and deer check ins.

delacroix

BANNED
The change from having 72 hours to just 24 hours to check in deer and turkey is stupid. It just means fewer people will comply because they don't want to get in trouble for forgetting to do it right away. They also want to remove the requirement to record it on your license.

So, basically, the service will still run and be paid for, but have less utililty since no one has to use it. Smart.

Budda

I hunt all over the country and canada. Yall aint got the first notion of what bad regs are. We got some of the leanest and easiest regulation in the US. Maybe they could ease up on the Snapper season a bit. Not that most really care or kno there is a season on em.

GSPEED

There is not a 10 doe limit in Fannin county. There is a state wide 10 doe limit per person. There is a 3 day either sex period in Fannin county because they want to lower the doe harvest in that county. Same goes for other counties with reduced doe days. It would make no sense to issue tags based on county, because many people hunt multiple counties. I'm sure there are people that hunt in Fannin county that hunt other counties. People need to quite getting hung up on the 10 doe limit, as very few people actually kill anywhere near 10 does. The major issue with population is habitat on a larger scale (northern mountain counties having lower populations than southern counties) and too many people hunting individual tracts of land on a localized scale (35 people on 1000 acre club all wanting to kill a deer and have family kill a deer. Overalll, the deer herd is fine, and probably in as good of shape as it has ever been.
So one person couldn’t kill three the first day,three the second day and four on the third doe days or anything combination of this since there is a 10 doe limit per person and I’m sure no one person kills 10 does but if every hunter kills a number of does it will lead to a decline. I agree that county tags would be a terrible thing. I do think the 10 doe limit gives the perception that it doesn’t hurt to kill does and this has led to deer decline along with predators and habitat loss. Sounds like where you’re hunting it’s still good and I’m glad it is, but it’s in as bad of shape as it’s been probably in 50 years in north Georgia.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Ga is tring to think hunters have good sence.
They also know that if X country and have 10 tags to be used as a tool to manage.
And Y county only had 5 tags to use.
Y county would be saying how come we only get 5 tags and X county gets 10 tags.

Be happy ?
Hunt wisely and safe !
Can’t make every hunter happy even if there was a deer behind every tree.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I hunt all over the country and canada. Yall aint got the first notion of what bad regs are. We got some of the leanest and easiest regulation in the US. Maybe they could ease up on the Snapper season a bit. Not that most really care or kno there is a season on em.

Amen!! Preach it brother !!

across the river

So one person couldn’t kill three the first day,three the second day and four on the third doe days or anything combination of this since there is a 10 doe limit per person and I’m sure no one person kills 10 does but if every hunter kills a number of does it will lead to a decline. I agree that county tags would be a terrible thing. I do think the 10 doe limit gives the perception that it doesn’t hurt to kill does and this has led to deer decline along with predators and habitat loss. Sounds like where you’re hunting it’s still good and I’m glad it is, but it’s in as bad of shape as it’s been probably in 50 years in north Georgia.

How would someone kill 10 does in 3 days if there are as few deer as you say there are? If there aren't any deer, how would people kill one or two in three days? If you have 35 people on 1000 acres, then a one doe limit is too many. The DNR can't set rules to make everyone happy or establish them for people in individual areas or with individual tracts for being stupid. If there were no doe days in the mountains for years, the land still isn't going to have numbers like South Georgia where people kill more deer and more does year end and year out.

Last edited: