Hunting squirrel on WMA during bow season

jefftap

What is the consensus on using a shotgun for small game on WMA during archery season? I am still new to hunting and don't want to mess up a deer hunters day, much less shoot some archer with my 20 gauge looking for squirrel (which is my reason for using a shotgun rather than 22).

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You can use any small game weapon , if your concerned about messing up a bow hunters hunt , which I think we all should be I’d just hunt just like I was on any public land hunt , if I see a vehicle parked I go find me another spot , but u don’t have to , I killed a deer a couple years ago on Wma and 30 minutes before had a guy with his squirrel dog walk within 50 yds of me

ucfireman

As far as messing up a bow hunters hunt. You moving around will get the deer up and they may be able to see something they normally wouldn't.
As far as not wanting to shoot a deer hunter. Are you not looking at what you are shooting? A squirrel looks nothing like a person, even in camo. I guess a miss is possible and the bullet will carry but that is a chance you take anywhere.

Its public land, hunt when, where and with what you want as long as it is legal.

crackerdave

What is the consensus on using a shotgun for small game on WMA during archery season? I am still new to hunting and don't want to mess up a deer hunters day, much less shoot some archer with my 20 gauge looking for squirrel (which is my reason for using a shotgun rather than 22).
Have you taken any hunter safety courses?

Mark K

Banned
I’d rather you use a shotgun and I understand your concern. Most hunters are in the trees with the squirrels and a miss could impact someone 150 yards away you don’t see. Legit question, not sure why others can’t see it, lol. If your WMA is open for small game then go for it. I believe most of ours are down here as well, just check your regs before heading out.

sb1010

If I see someone parked I move to a different spot. I use a shotgun for early season squirrels. Later on when the squirrels are on the ground I switch to a 22. I haven't had any problems messing up bow hunters.

Dbender

If it's legal on those days go. The deerhunters are going to cry about it no matter what
They ought to limit squirrel hunting to 2 weeks a year to give deer hunters more space. While they are at it they ought to ban coon hunting outright!

Buckman18

If its legal on the wma you want to hunt, then go for it and have fun! I always try to make sure that im parked no where near another hunter, and have never had an issue. Strotherswhacker said it right!

NGA44

They ought to limit squirrel hunting to 2 weeks a year to give deer hunters more space. While they are at it they ought to ban coon hunting outright!

This is by far the craziest, most illogical thing I’ve ever read on this forum.

Read the info in this link. If you can supply peer reviewed, scientific data to support your stated opinion that coon hunting should be banned then I’m all ears.
https://dc.statelibrary.sc.gov/bits...acoon_Hunting_2006.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Turpentine

Naw, I chase furry tails before and after deer season. Also I try to avoid other hunters all together.
However
I bow hunt........ Not going to bother me if a fox, bobcat, turkey, or even a goofy squirrel Hunter passes by......

You have just as much right to pursue you game of choice as anyone else. Within the laws and regulations.

greg_n_clayton

You can use any small game weapon , if your concerned about messing up a bow hunters hunt , which I think we all should be I’d just hunt just like I was on any public land hunt , if I see a vehicle parked I go find me another spot , but u don’t have to , I killed a deer a couple years ago on Wma and 30 minutes before had a guy with his squirrel dog walk within 50 yds of me
I always make a drive by in the area i am going to hunt on any public lands. If rig is setting there, I move on up/down the road. In these parts, public lands are so plentiful, it ain't a big deal !! I ran my dogs in on a man and wife in stands a few years ago. I felt bad about it, but they had their truck hid really good !

greg_n_clayton