Hunting with broken leg

scott stokes

What do you guys use to get around on to archery hunt with broken leg.i can not put pressure on it at this time. I will be shooting from a mobility scooter and chair to get used to that.
Any ideas on getting around? I also hunt public land and hunting clubs

shdw633

Well now that they allow ebikes on public land I would recommend one of them for that, plus you can use it on your hunting club. You don't have to pedal and you can put a cart behind it for your chair or ground blind.

scott stokes

It is little more than a broken leg.the last 3” of my femur is shattered into 12pc and top of my tibia is broken in few pc where ligaments attach. I go back to orthopedic in three weeks to see how it is healing.Know weight on it yet they said.Then probably another operation then.They have never seen something like this and don’t know how to treat it yet?

AceOfTheBase

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but maybe stay home til its better..
I hunted the season before total hip replacement, and finally learned to climb the ladders with only the good leg. In your case, I'd stay home till it all healed.
The risk for re-injury sounds high.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
It is little more than a broken leg.the last 3” of my femur is shattered into 12pc and top of my tibia is broken in few pc where ligaments attach. I go back to orthopedic in three weeks to see how it is healing.Know weight on it yet they said.Then probably another operation then.They have never seen something like this and don’t know how to treat it yet?
Man! You got the heart of a gun fighter! If I had all that going on archery hunting wouldn't even be on the table!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you have the resources something like this might save this season for you. You could sell it and recover part of your investment after you didn’t need it any longer.

http://www.hawksneststands.com/

GregoryB.

I agree with taking time off and healing. I have hunted with a hand cast after surgery. It's not the best idea. If you can barely get around how do you plan on tracking and dragging a deer out ? Plenty of season left after you heal.

Josh B

He may just enjoy watching and if the big one comes out worry about how to get it out later.?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I agree with the others.
This risk is very high of reinjury or worse.
Maybe if your hunt club buddies are willing to put you in a blind and do all the work for you. Should you kill.

That being said:
My main tip for shooting from a chair. Make sure you sit up straight and tall.

scott stokes

Thanks guys. I do have a crossbow if I have to.Finaly got my back fixed this past fall and decided to by new bow to hunt with then this happens.My wife and my two girls started hunting this past year so got them bows for this year.i my just try to use electric mobility scooter on public land I think the dnr will be okay with that and ground blind.
There is nice buck I want to take on one of my clubs but might be hard from ground.

Ray357

AWOL
I had ACL reconstruction last deer season. I had it all planned out about how I was going to deer hunt. After surgery I tried hunting one time and decided it was not worth it.

Bubba_1122

I’d be interested in seeing how you’d get a dead deer out of the woods.

I’ve been involved with college athletics for quite a while. Rule of thumb for injured players is don’t try to over do the recovery so you can get back on the field quicker (it’ll often cause you to have to start over (or worse).

Listen to the doctors. They know.

Patience is a virtue.

scott stokes

My wife will be hunting with on public land she can help me field dress and I have friends that will come help drag?
On hunting club want be a big deal to get it.I Polaris ranger for club. I just don’t want to drive it to hunting area.I wonder if electric cart of some kind would be unnoticed by deer.and of course if I can afford to go hunt .Not working is tuff.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Last year I had major shoulder surgery in August. Then again in October. Trust me stay home till it’s healed. I didn’t hunt at all last year between the pain meds, the surgeries themselves and the therapy.
About 4 years ago I had the same situation with a major foot surgery. Didn’t hunt till late December early January and was able to just barely enjoy it.

Ray357

AWOL
Last year I had major shoulder surgery in August. Then again in October. Trust me stay home till it’s healed. I didn’t hunt at all last year between the pain meds, the surgeries themselves and the therapy.
About 4 years ago I had the same situation with a major foot surgery. Didn’t hunt till late December early January and was able to just barely enjoy it.
I had my Labrum and rotator cuff repaired in August about 12 years ago. Going hunting was the last thing on my mind that entire deer season. Hunted with a .243 the next year. Usually hunt with 7 Rem Mag or 7 WSM.

TnHunter356

Banned !!
Hope everything goes smoothly!

Many years ago I had a badly broken leg that eventually required a bone graft operation, after 6 months in a full leg cast didn't work.

My suggestion is this, have friends/family scout good areas for you to sit on the ground. In a ground blind, in a comfy seat is your best bet... BOTH for your leg and your hunting.

My best to you going forward ??