Hunting with Hawks-Falconry

4x4

This is some footage so far from this season. The new redtail is a killer, squirrels dont stand a chance with her in the sky.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Doug B.

I've never been hunting with a bird of prey. That was awesome! What is all the ho, ho, ho, ho, ho?

4x4

I've never been hunting with a bird of prey. That was awesome! What is all the ho, ho, ho, ho, ho?

HO HO HO is a term we use that tells the hawk there is game to chase. It goes back to the first few days of training. This way, if I spot game I yell HO HO HO and the bird then knows there is something to chase. Same if my dog starts barking. They will leave their position and go find Commander to see what he is barking at.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
How long does it take a bird to cooperate with you and the dog like that?

4x4

How long does it take a bird to cooperate with you and the dog like that?

From the wild, it typically takes no longer than 3 weeks to have one fully trained. Training takes place every day, when I feed the bird, that is training time. I always have Commander around while training the hawk, so the hawk realizes the dog will not take food from her. It takes a few free flights with the dog below the hawk for it to find out who plays what role while hunting. It doesn't take long for the hawk to see that hunting comes easier to them with a human and dog on the ground flushing quarry for them, compared to them hunting alone. They see A LOT more game to chase.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Doug B.

HO HO HO is a term we use that tells the hawk there is game to chase. It goes back to the first few days of training. This way, if I spot game I yell HO HO HO and the bird then knows there is something to chase. Same if my dog starts barking. They will leave their position and go find Commander to see what he is barking at.
Awesome!!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s hard to describe the pure fun and entertainment of watching the bird work.

donblfihu

I pmed you earlier in the season and was going to go hunting with you. Pm me if you still want to go