Hunting with my 1907 Colt SAA....opinions solicited

godogs57

Ive posted about my1907 SAA I inherited from my uncle before here. She’s a pristine 45 LC and I’d love to take a deer with it this year, now that I’m hunting for a doe or two. I’ve hunted with handguns before, mostly with my 629 44 mag (or Colt Delta Elite, or 1911) but I haven’t yet with my SAA. With my 629 shot placement wasn’t as critical (within reason!) as it will be with the 113 year old 45 LC. Heart/lung or shoulder would easily kill deer with the 629 and XTP bullets.

I’ve been wondering what might be my best point of aim with the LC? I’m shooting a 250 Keith style lead bullet in front of 6.0 grains of Red Dot, a time tested load that works very well in this gun. I’m holding my shots to “bow range” ...20-25 yards or less. Given that the bullet is running about 750-800 fps, I’m not going to see much hydrostatic shock. I’m thinking I’d be better served if I try for heart/lung as opposed to a shoulder shot. At least ventilate those lungs.

What say you?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
BroaaaadSide!!!

Double lung would be fatal, but without clipping a shoulder or spine, I'd be afraid it might get away without an exit wound/blood trail.
My same predicament, I've been wanting to pop one with my 45 acp. But I'll have to crush another with my 41 magnum instead... :p

godogs57

Double lung would be fatal, but without clipping a shoulder or spine, I'd be afraid it might get away without an exit wound/blood trail.
My same predicament, I've been wanting to pop one with my 45 acp. But I'll have to crush another with my 41 magnum instead... :p
Ive shot em with my 1911 45 ACP before and they do a wonderful job. I used Remington Golden Saber in that pistol. Down for the count. I used Black Talons in my 10mm and got the same results

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Ive shot em with my 1911 45 ACP before and they do a wonderful job. I used Remington Golden Saber in that pistol. Down for the count. I used Black Talons in my 10mm and got the same results

Did it break a shoulder and exit?
Distance?

tgc

Good luck with the.45! Only 1 week left. Close to a trail entering a nice green field right at dark.

Reactions: Dub