Hunting With the Legend, Daddy Rabbit!

oakhill

Need to start at the beginning....
A guy was suppose to pick up a pup that I brought down at Daddy RAbbit's house at 6:30 in the morning. We were gonna leave out hunting right after he picked up the pup. Welllll, while SB and I were snug in our beds back at the motel, this guy shows up at Daddy Rabbits at 3:30 in the morning. Now being the southern gentleman that Daddy Rabbit is, he tells the guy to come on in and he puts a pot of coffee on and they talk dogs until we get there. Needless to say, I believe Mrs. Daddy Rabbit was trying to sleep thru all of this. If I had know what had happened I would have thrown my hat in the door before I entered that morn because I believe Mrs. Dr was looking for a gun to load my behind with buckshot.
We had a good laugh listening to the story anyway and it was a pleasure to meet the Preacher who came to pick up the pup.

After we loaded the dogs, Daddy Rabbit treated us to country ham, biscuits, gravey, sausage, and eggs which he prepared himself by way of paying the local diner lady. Man, it was goood. So many fat grams all I could think of was hitting the tailgate instead of the briars.

After driving upteen miles with us slipping and sliding our way back some logging roads we reached our destination. Man, was it loaded with rabbits. I have never SEEN that many rabbits in GA at one time. Most usually the rabbits stay in the thick stuff and I just assume the hounds are running them. I saw rabbits everywhere. The first pack we put down was mine and SB's hounds. 5 of my blueticks, one of her blueticks and a little red and white female named Whiskey. It took us a few minutes to get the hounds settle in but once they did the rabbit race was on and on and on and on.....
Now for my story about the gun........ DR told me if I was gonna hunt with them I had to bring a 410 as he doesn't allow anything else to be shot over his hounds. So I got to digging back in the gun safe and found the little 410 I bought for my son when he was about 5 yrs olds( he is 32 now ) This is a little H and R single shot full choke which he used to shoot squirrels. Remind me later and I will post a picture of him with his first squirrel. I do believe those rabbits had me pegged for an easy getaway cause every time the rabbit crossed the power line it was right under my feet. I swear I saw one rabbit stick his tongue out at me as he flew by. Well, after 4 shots and the rabbit kept going I thought to h*## with this and threw the gun in the creek. (not really but it was a thought. I just stood it up by a tree and picked it up on the way home) Now they can kid me all they want but I got more rabbits on film than they did on the tailgate and I can enjoy them for along time while theirs will be compost.

After a wonderful lunch of Arbys roast beef and cheddar, chips, and apple fritters provide by our new found friend Doc we put the red hounds on the ground. Now these hounds had been in the box all morning running the rabbits with our hounds from a distance. The temp was well up into the 70's and they were hotter than a firecracker. Heck, I was in season shock. My body said it was winter and the air said it was spring. I started out with plenty of clothes on and by the time we got ready to go home I had to walk around and figure out what bush I had left my clothes hanging on plus my gun down by the creek. Anyway, the hounds got down and found a few mud puddles to cool off in and away we went. That red pack smoked those rabbits and if they had had any kind of help we would have had a tail gate full of rabbits. That one rabbit that Doc shot at(refer to video below.. bang, bang, bang) was a 5 shell rabbit. They were moving on....and need I point out here that my gun was down by the creek ...... SB, Doc, and Daddy Rabbit was making Mr. Winchester a happy man that afternoon. . If we had done the percentages I wouldn't have looked as bad as I did.

I really wasn't that tired when we finished up. I have this bad back and if I sit down it relieves the pressure on my vertebrate and then I am ready to go again. That's my excuse anyway.

We had 6 rabbits on the tailgate, the hounds had some great runs, and the fellowship was the best you could ask for. What else could a rabbit hunter ask for????

Now, this is the most important part....FOOD..... After we got home, took care of the hounds, and got cleaned up, the saint of all saints, Mrs. Daddy Rabbit, had a feast prepared that you would not believe!!!! DR had been telling me all day that his wife made the best biscuits in the south and I can sure vouch for that as they melted in my mouth. All I needed was some molasses and I would have been in hog heaven. We had fried vension, mac and cheese, turnips, salmon patties, stewed maters, butter beans, biscuits, cornbread, homemade pickles,and cherry cheesecake. Makes ya wanna howl, don't it??? I probably left something out cause that table was full. I will be eternally greatful, Mrs. Daddy RAbbit.

Now as an off note, we got to see Daddy Rabbit's pet deer that was grown. That deer stayed around Daddy RAbbit's house and sometimes in the training pen. Now if you can picture this grown man calling this deer(by the way, the deer's name is Kitty Kitty Sunshine). He would yell "here kitty kittyyyyy, her kitty kittyyyyyyy" and the deer would come running. I thought I was gonna fall down laughing. We put my hounds in the pen and if they went up to the deer she would put a whooping on them that made them take off back to me and hide behind me. I am only sorry I did not get any video of this as it was the funniest sight I have seen in a long time besides Daddy Rabbit calling that deer Kitty Kitty.
I am sure there is more and maybe some of the others will add to it but this is MY story and I am sticking to it!!!

Thank you, Daddy Rabbit, Mrs. Daddy Rabbit, and Doc for such wonderful hospitality and for making our trip so memorable!!!

I took video of Daddy Rabbits hounds.
If you look realllllllllll quick you can see the rabbit at the beginning of the video.
Click below.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v487/oakhill/videos/movie_0001-1.flv">

Here is another clip. Click below and then click in the bottom right hand corner to enlarge the video. I took this video on my handy cam and am having to downsize it to save it in photo bucket so I can only show a short clips. But, if you want the whole video send Daddy Rabbit some 410 shells and he might be able to get you a copy of the whole video. (rolling on the floor laughing)
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v487/oakhill/videos/Movie3.flv">

Daddy Rabbit, you tell Doc that I will remove this video for the right amount of $$$. This is Doc in the video and I am proud to say that after TWO more shots this rabbit ended up on the tail gate. Doc shot three times but I paused the video after the first two shots.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v487/oakhill/videos/Movie4.flv">

By the way, they call their dogs to a rabbit by yelling "here ya go... here ya go". Which sounds like heygo heygo.

Attachments

• 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3,412
  • 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 3,368
  • 98.jpg
    98.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3,348
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 3,339
  • 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 3,397
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3,336
  • 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3,396
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3,300
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3,372
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3,253
  • 73.jpg
    73.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 3,306
Last edited:

Corey

Great hunt thanks for sharing, Anyone shows up at my
house at 03:30 I think I would have gave them a pillow
and a blanket and told them, see you in about 3 hours
there is the couch :)

Ballground

Can't wait till in the morning DR,if i am not mistaken this will be 20 years now you have let me hunt with you.Talk to yaw about 4:30 tomorrow morning.

beagler man

man!!!!! what a story.great job! good lookin dogs u got there dr and whats up with u and that deer kissing?

hey sally you could have yelled at an ole kentucky hillbilly and he could have put down some sorry patch hounds he got from a sorry preacher in tn........ :bounce:

sounds like a great time was had by all

hillbilly

oakhill

Hillbilly, we wanted a rabbit race not a goat roping. ROFLMBO!!!

Just kidding ya, Red. I love watching those patch hounds.:bounce:

``````````````````````````Rabbit Tracks Ever where```````````````>

I liked that goat ropeing, comment!

Can't do much with Sally!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Jody Hawk

By the way, they call their dogs to a rabbit by yelling "here ya go... here ya go". Which sounds like heygo heygo.

Heygo !!!!!!!!!! Heygo !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the only way down here Sally. If I was to yell "Tally Ho" at my beagles and they'd look at me like I was crazy. :bounce:

oakhill

I definitely don't yell "talley ho" as I had never heard it until I heard someone who trialed call their dogs in. I was just pointing out to the Yanks so they could understand what was being yelled on the video:biggrin2:

JReid_38

Videos were great.. hunt looked like real fun... and the food sounded spectacular...
and by the way... thats what you call "deer proofing" dogs!

Thanks for sharing everything

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten

Little Rabbit

please said it's knot so doc :bounce:

``````````````````````````Rabbit Tracks Ever where```````````````>

The 410 coalition didn't Shot any better on Saturday than they did on Monday ??

Thanks Sally & Kool Kat, for the video...and all the good hound Music, that was made.

Doc..is shooting better with his 28 !

Keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>