Husbands and Wives

Hunting Teacher

First let me preface this post by saying am I in no way condemning anyone who is divorced. We all make mistakes/sin and sometimes "Christians" like to sit in judgement of our brothers and deem their sins to be worse than ours. Some did not have any desire to be divorced but had it thrust on them.
After reading a post on a different thread it amazes me our country even manages a 50% marriage rate.
As Christian men I sure hope our actions and feelings towards our wives don't match with what seems to be the norm socially.
Of course we know that God has to take top priority in our married lives for both our wives and us. Secondly I urge my young married brothers to make it your spiritual mission to make your wife your best friend!! If she is not petition God that he will change both your hearts until this takes place. I'm sure a marriage could survive without being best friends, but assure you if your wife is really your best friend and God is both your focus that your marriage won't just survive it will thrive. There is no better gift that you can provide for your childrens lives than a solid Christian marriage of their parents!
It amazes me how many young husbands can quote Ephesians 5:22-23. Yet how few can quote God's command in Ephsians 5:25.
If you are a young or newly married Christian man surround yourself with Godly married men that can help you, hold you accountable, and pray with you.
Being the Godly leader of your family God wants and the Christian man your wife deserves is worth every bit of "sacrifice" required.
God bless our Christian marriages. They are the only hope our nation has!

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Right on!!!!

Marriage can be a vessell filled with God, or it can be a self-imposed prison.

Like you said: God bless our Christian marriages.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
It all starts at home. Your kids will generally treat their spouses as their parents treated each other.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

I must be younger than most of you! This year will be number 28 for us.

Randy

A timely post.

Notbeing able to sleep, I was up at 4:00 am watch TV. There was a pastor talking about marriage. He was all over women "holding back" on their husbands. He said that is one reason for marriage, for women to keep us satisfied to keep us from sinning. I found the sermon odd. Never heard a pastor speak directly on that before.

centerpin fan

A timely post.

Notbeing able to sleep, I was up at 4:00 am watch TV. There was a pastor talking about marriage. He was all over women "holding back" on their husbands. He said that is one reason for marriage, for women to keep us satisfied to keep us from sinning. I found the sermon odd. Never heard a pastor speak directly on that before.

I've heard it a lot, but never on TV.

Dog Hunter

First let me preface this post by saying am I in no way condemning anyone who is divorced. We all make mistakes/sin and sometimes "Christians" like to sit in judgement of our brothers and deem their sins to be worse than ours. Some did not have any desire to be divorced but had it thrust on them.
After reading a post on a different thread it amazes me our country even manages a 50% marriage rate.
As Christian men I sure hope our actions and feelings towards our wives don't match with what seems to be the norm socially.
Of course we know that God has to take top priority in our married lives for both our wives and us. Secondly I urge my young married brothers to make it your spiritual mission to make your wife your best friend!! If she is not petition God that he will change both your hearts until this takes place. I'm sure a marriage could survive without being best friends, but assure you if your wife is really your best friend and God is both your focus that your marriage won't just survive it will thrive. There is no better gift that you can provide for your childrens lives than a solid Christian marriage of their parents!
It amazes me how many young husbands can quote Ephesians 5:22-23. Yet how few can quote God's command in Ephsians 5:25.
If you are a young or newly married Christian man surround yourself with Godly married men that can help you, hold you accountable, and pray with you.
Being the Godly leader of your family God wants and the Christian man your wife deserves is worth every bit of "sacrifice" required.

Wow. We just started a bible study last night "Fireproofing your Marriage" and these verses were some of the study. Very good verses. It cant help my present marriage (or whats left), but it will be stuff I can carry into another marriage if I so desire one day.

Jeffriesw

It all starts at home. Your kids will generally treat their spouses as their parents treated each other.

X's 2

Just passed 27 years last November 25 for the wife and I

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?

great post!!!
i quoted my favorite part!
i beleive we as married men have to be leaders! and take resposibility if anyone is unhappy in the house and do whatever is needed to make our houses happy!
i'm tired of hearing grown men with unhappy houses blameing everything on the wife!! i say!!! make your wife happy first...then you will be happy!!!! hold hands and thank GOD for everything you are capable of doing...and do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

thedeacon

Good advice.

I have past the 45 year mark. I haven't been married all my life, it just seems like I have.

huntmore

My mother and father were married 47 years. It was not the strength of my dad who kept the family together it was mom. kissing your wifes but to make her happy will most often end up badly. My mom years ago said the biggest reason for divorce was women are getting to lazy.
I think it doesn't matter the sex of the person, but the amount of God they have in their heart. I do not know many women today who would have put up with what my mother did.
I will never forget the day we found out my mom had cancer. I found my father sitting in the chapel in the hospital. I sat next to him and he said James I never knew how weak of a person I am and how strong your mother is, I don't how I will make it without her.

Hunting Teacher

My mother and father were married 47 years. It was not the strength of my dad who kept the family together it was mom. kissing your wifes but to make her happy will most often end up badly. My mom years ago said the biggest reason for divorce was women are getting to lazy.
I think it doesn't matter the sex of the person, but the amount of God they have in their heart. I do not know many women today who would have put up with what my mother did.
I will never forget the day we found out my mom had cancer. I found my father sitting in the chapel in the hospital. I sat next to him and he said James I never knew how weak of a person I am and how strong your mother is, I don't how I will make it without her.
I understand exactly where you are coming from. My mother is one of the strongest people I have ever known. She if also one of the most Christ honoring, sacfificial people I've ever known. Some of the stuff my dad pulled that she hung in there through required a heart totally focused on the Father.
But because of her sacrifice her three sons would walk through the fires of he11 itself for her! We are who we are today because she refused to dishonor God and break her marriage covenant that she made to Him. If only I can be half the person that my Mother is!!
Praise you Lord for a Godly mother that always taught her sons to love You and focus on Your will and not our own by example.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I understand exactly where you are coming from. My mother is one of the strongest people I have ever known. She if also one of the most Christ honoring, sacfificial people I've ever known. Some of the stuff my dad pulled that she hung in there through required a heart totally focused on the Father.
But because of her sacrifice her three sons would walk through the fires of he11 itself for her! We are who we are today because she refused to dishonor God and break her marriage covenant that she made to Him. If only I can be half the person that my Mother is!!
Praise you Lord for a Godly mother that always taught her sons to love You and focus on Your will and not our own by example.

I think Huntmore described many of our families and upbringing.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod

I think Huntmore described many of our families and upbringing.

Last edited:

huntmore

I hear ya. My siblings and I would also have done anything for my mother. I two pray all the time to be half the person she was.
Your last line put tears in my eyes. I have argued on this site with lots of people about the merets of showing people by action how to be christian. Not to say that scripture should not be a part of it. But I know for a fact that showing people how a christian acts, goes alot further than telling someone how they should act.