I’d like to make jerky, now what? UPDATED W/Batch #3!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
From the beginning please. I’ve got lots of meat now and plan on spending the next two days knee deep in it. Definitely want to try my hand at jerky! First thing I did was look for a dehydrator and am finding all kinds of stuff! The seasoning I’m not worried about and I may try my first batch in the oven. But after all the gadgets I’m seeing like a caulk type gun, a cutting board with rails for precise slicing etc. I’m lost! No smoker here anymore so I’ll either use the oven or buy a dehydrator. I’d prefer to not spend $100 for that so I’d love recommendations…..flexible budget though
How are y’all slicing it up? I was thinking mostly frozen and just cutting strips, but after seeing the gun, should I get one? Has to be a better way than just slicing freehand! The guide rail cutting boards look great too.
How long is jerky good for? When I open a bag of Cabela’s jerky, it ain’t the same after a week or so……I’ll eat it fast so not to waste it . See, I told you I’m lost in this matter!
Thanks y’all!

ilbcnu

I use the quisinheart 5 tray dehydrator. Before that I used the oven. Cut meat into 1/4 inch thick strips, marinate overnight. Use toothpicks to hang strips vertically from oven racks. Set oven to 170 degrees and keep door cracked about 1 inch 6 to hrs. The guns are great, but work best with a dehydrator. Stuff ground meat into gun and just caulk out strips onto hydrator trays and run on medium speed for 8 hrs.

ilbcnu

Place meat in freezer for bout an hour does make for more consistent slicing. Humidity is the enemy of good jerky. Vac seal individual bags for keeping. Ziip locks can allow moisture to creep in changing the texture.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I use the quisinheart 5 tray dehydrator. Before that I used the oven. Cut meat into 1/4 inch thick strips, marinate overnight. Use toothpicks to hang strips vertically from oven racks. Set oven to 170 degrees and keep door cracked about 1 inch 6 to hrs. The guns are great, but work best with a dehydrator. Stuff ground meat into gun and just caulk out strips onto hydrator trays and run on medium speed for 8 hrs.
Ok, so the gun doesn’t cut the strips. It makes them out of grind. Makes sense. Straight grind or like I’ll use for burger meatloaf etc? I’ll add a pork butt this year for burger type stuff.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Ok, so the gun doesn’t cut the strips. It makes them out of grind. Makes sense. Straight grind or like I’ll use for burger meatloaf etc? I’ll add a pork butt this year for burger type stuff.

Don't complicate your first time. No need to grind. Jerky was made for thousands of years with no grinder. Cut strips no more than 1/4 inch thick. Marinate in whatever mix you choose, but know that salt is the key to preservation. A dehydrator would help, but you can also do it in an oven. Most folks that use an oven will ball up a wad of aluminum foil and prop the door open just a crack to allow moisture to escape.

ilbcnu

I always used ground deer mixed with ground sirloin in the gun. I use the nesco brand jerky seasoning as it's so simple, pre measured for 2lb batches and has the best authentic flavorings.

specialk

i grind my deer now with no fat and use this exact method...it's perfect, the seasonings mix in better with ground and it aint as tuff to chew....and it wont get meat stuck between my teefus'es!

specialk

beef-jerky-00.jpg

specialk

i've got the manuel type gun and its hard on the hands squeezing, i'm going to get a battery type(rechargeable) before i do another batch....

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I do mine in the oven. While I've got a gun for use with ground, I much prefer the solid type. I let mine marinate in the fridge for 24 hrs in whatever seasoning I'm using (I like Dale's), then lay it out on a baking sheet on parchment, set the oven for 170 degrees, and cook with a dish towel stuck in the door to hold it open a half inch or so. If using the oven, you need to be able to let any moisture out. Usually takes 7-8 hrs. You can watch it, and tell when it's done, or tear off a small piece and try it. You want it to have a little red coloring in it yet. When it's over done, it'll be dark brown/black, and crunch vs, well, jerky...

ilbcnu

A batch from last week. I used an eye of round trimmed of fat

Attachments

• 20221113_123223(1).jpg
    20221113_123223(1).jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20221113_123404(1).jpg
    20221113_123404(1).jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 39

hawkeye123

I've always just sliced it up outa hind quarters like Ugahunter said , cut across the grain. marinate mine in A-1 steak sauce, pineapple juice, moores wing sauce, honey terraki, got some marinating now, a little cure salt then in the dehydrator, oven will work fine just leave door cracked, also, if you have a instapot or air fryer, most of them have a dehydrator mode, vac pack when done, but most time just put in zip lock, my buddies call my jerky "crack" jerky so it never lasts long so usually no nee to vac pack

HuntinJake_23

My go to marinade for years was a bottle of Kroger brand teriyaki sauce and a bottle of liquid smoke, fill a gallon ziploc almost full of sliced meat and dump in the teriyaki and liquid smoke. Seal the bag and mix around and in the fridge for a day, pull out mix around and flip the bag over for another day. Growing up I always used my parents round dehydrator. Now adays I got one of those fancy 8 tray deals from bass pro. Dehydrate until just about crispy then throw the finished product in a gallon ziploc while still hot and let it steam for about 30 minutes to make it the correct texture.

I also use this Dr. Pepper jalapeño marinade my brother turned me onto, sweet with some heat!!

Attachments

• C57760FE-9143-4CF8-8E80-AD679416441A.jpeg
    C57760FE-9143-4CF8-8E80-AD679416441A.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 24