I’d like to make jerky, now what? UPDATED W/Batch #3!

Qazaq15

The key is is to dehydrate it so the outside looks done but you can still bend it in half without breaking it. If you took a bite of it right out of the dehydrator it would feel a little mushy in the middle. As it rests the remaining moisture will distribute evenly and it ends up perfect. Don’t overdo it or it’ll end up hard as a rock.

frankwright

Years ago I use to do the cut and slice but now all I use is the big jerky gun from LEM.
I grind my deer with no fat. I have an old round dehydrator from Ronco and about 10 trays.
Everyone likes the pepper seasoning so I buy it from LEM or any of the other mixes that is pepper.
I mix and let it sit overnight. I lay out strips in the dehydrator and let it run. I rotate trays every two hours but the newer fancy square ones have heaters in the back so you probably don't have to rotate.
I can't keep it at home. I sometimes think my name is "Got any Jerly".
Most people do not know it is from ground and they like the fact you don't tear your teeth out trying to chew it.

specialk

Years ago I use to do the cut and slice but now all I use is the big jerky gun from LEM.
I grind my deer with no fat. I have an old round dehydrator from Ronco and about 10 trays.
Everyone likes the pepper seasoning so I buy it from LEM or any of the other mixes that is pepper.
I mix and let it sit overnight. I lay out strips in the dehydrator and let it run. I rotate trays every two hours but the newer fancy square ones have heaters in the back so you probably don't have to rotate.
Most people do not know it is from ground and they like the fact you don't tear your teeth out trying to chew it.

yep, see post#7, exactly what i do now.....i haven't made any in awhile though....i make summer sausage now and like it alot better than jerky.....

Bkeepr

I haven't made any in years, but I used a recipe I got off of the TV show Good Eats. It had a little heat and used honey, if you can find the recipe. The show recommended slicing the jerky while the meat was still frozen because it's easier to make thin slices. I made mine in the oven because it was faster and did a better job of drying the meat than using the old cheap dehydrators.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Frank I’ll be doing the grind thing for sure. Has anyone tried using the grinder itself with a round sausage attachment and then smashing it? I thought of it, but I found the hi mountain stuff. They said to roll it out about 1/4” thick then Cut it in strips…..or use their jerky gun. I have 2#(ain’t much really) in a bowl with their mix. Gonna cook it tomorrow. Their cooking in the oven is at 200 for 1.25 hrs……I cooked mine for 6 hrs at 170 facepalm: I’ll make this happen bet on it! I have a vacuum sealer and a freezer so….. They also recommended adding 10-15% pork for very lean meats in grind, but no fatty stuff. Hmm!

Mauser

If you’re gonna get serious and make a lot,dehydrator,manual crank cuber that comes with jerky slicing blades,mine came from academy. I use Colorado spicy jerky seasoning from Waltons. Follow their directions for marinating By far the easiest and most consistent way IMO. And I hit it good with black pepper when I put it in dehydrator keep check you racks may have to rotate,some pieces will be done before others.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here's one that is about full proof for dehydration

2 pds of meat, sliced 1/4 inches thick
1/4 cup of soy
1or 2 tablespoons of Worchester sauce
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper. A pinch of red of you like it.
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of of smoked salt

Marinade at least 8 hours or longer.
Dehydrate to your liking. I have an el cheapo tray model, about 8 hours with all the trays loaded up is gonna be close.
That sounds about exactly like my method, down to the cheapo walmart dehydrator.

Gbr5pb

I wouldn’t add anything but deer meat and spices cure is salt I consider a spice! The cabelas 10 tray dehydrator will hold about 7.5 pounds meat squeezed out with jerky gun. Doesn’t last a month with 2 grandsons a SIL and me getting 2 strips every time I walk by

GAHunterr

I started making jerky this year and I found a marinade that i really love. Everyone else I've gave some too say that it is better than what they get from processors.

Equal parts Worcestershire and soy sauce
One half part liquid smoke
Fresh cracked black pepper
Salt
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne pepper

I let the cut jerky strips marinade overnight. I like to have the marinade just cover the top of the meat in the bowl. Also, I like to to mix the meat up once in the morning so make sure every piece gets the marinade.

I think something important to keep an eye on is how done your jerky gets. Ill check the jerky every hour or so and give them a squish and bend. If its still squishy, its not done. If I bend it, and there is no cracking at all, not done. I look for a slight crack in the jerky, but it still holds together well when being bent.

The last think I've noticed to a good jerky piece is how you store it after you take it out of the dehydrator. I think it really makes a difference vacuum sealing your jerky after you take it out of the dehydrator. It seems to not let the jerky completely dry out. I also put it in the freezer, but that's because I force myself to not eat all of it within one day :ROFLMAO: I like to save some for the treestand

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Ok, so second batch was waaaaaay better using the Hi Mountain mix, but a little on the extreme opposite end. I was skeered and it seemed like a lot of seasoning so I didn’t quite put it all on. I also took it at an hour 5, but then another 20 minutes. When done it was a little soft and bland since I never added more seasoning. It was still delicious and soft and we are gonna get this right! This third Batch is the hunters blend which is a little spicier but I’ll still add some black pepper right before it goes in! Can’t wait to try this…….I see eating a lot more jerky here in the near future’

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That second batch BTW, I sprayed the racks with some oil, it got on the pan and seemed to stay moist. I’ll take my chances that it won’t stick without it next time.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Got a smaller jerky gun from Cabela’s this am and a few of those Yoshi grill mats. In a short time I was seasoning and putting it in the oven with much higher hopes! I checked them an hour in and The Yoshi mat is a NO GO! It let heats in but no air. I transferred them over to the other racks knowing they’d stay together. Still want a screen, but I almost think the grind out of the gun should stay afloat if I can shoot straight and even. I seasoned this batch pretty good with Everglades on some, Montreal on some and then black pepper on the rest. Just a small sample in my mouth but WOW! THIS IS GON BE GOOD!
CA738681-3DC6-4217-9909-7CBBF715DFA1.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The jerky gun will get used a bunch ………it was the last small one at Acworth Cabela’s but they have the bigger ones.! I made some round sticks too, but no casings. I’m bout to wrap this thread up, but I wanted to personally thank everyone who chimed in to make this so much fun, but way more than that!
if you aren’t making jerky, I highly recommend giving it a shot!
I’ll never buy beef jerky again, but will enjoy this stuff in tremendous amounts in the future! I need to get to killing another deer because what I have won’t last long! Sharing with friends is gonna be fun too!
D4EEEB96-3EBE-44A4-8BC7-8F3B513494DB.jpeg979A91C9-4874-4569-B831-4EF2E07E055B.jpeg

treadwell

I use paint stirrer sticks from Lowes taped on each end of the stick to the cutting board. Heavily chilled, not frozen meat cuts like a charm, very consistent thickness

Gbr5pb

Going to run a batch with all last year’s leftover ground in your honor Sunday! Someone gave me a box of cabelas seasoning for Christmas last year I’ll try it out

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Looks like a bunch of fine eating to me ! Those little boxes of the hi mountain seasoning last forever but next time you buy some try the hickory ! Now go get you another deer
They make a great base and I can’t wait to try some on cut pieces to give it more chew!
I use paint stirrer sticks from Lowes taped on each end of the stick to the cutting board. Heavily chilled, not frozen meat cuts like a charm, very consistent thickness
I’ve been trying to figures out a way to add a space to my cutting board. My friend from works Gma is letting me borrow her slicer! Love the idea and may use it….the Big sticks right?

Going to run a batch with all last year’s leftover ground in your honor Sunday! Someone gave me a box of cabelas seasoning for Christmas last year I’ll try it out
If it’ll get you making jerky, then YASSSS! AWE shucks man, I’m having a blast with this, but I am honored you’d even say that!
I just sent some to my friend in Alabama. I just had a big bag ziplock with smaller bags of vacuum sealed jerky inside . The lady at the post office asked me about it, then proceeded to lecture me for not using fresh ingredients like she does etc!! She said next year when she makes HER Marinade, she’ll give me some!! I WILL go see her too! I just made a hot batch my adding some red pepper, but it’s not hot enough………I’m gonna run out of meat so I better get after it!