I’m a bit puzzled

killerv

Same here. I use the 2 inch stick on dots and pizza boxes. Bore sight with collimator, shoot three shots, make adjustments, three more shots and fine tune from there. I usually allow at least 15 minutes between the three shot groups for the barrel to cool by shooting other rifles or hand guns. Normally I can get one sighted in and fine tuned with 12 to 15 rounds.

learn to trust your scope and clicks more I bet you could get that down to 5 shots.

I boresight, shoot once at 25, adjust scope to get me about 1in low, sometimes I shoot a 2nd at 25, all depends on just how far off that first shot might have been. Then I move to 100, shoot a group, not caring about where it is hitting, then do my math/clicks to where I want that group to move to. I'll usually let it rest and shoot that final shot. 4-5 shots is about all it ever takes to get one sighted in, could be less if I didn't shoot the 3 shot group but I like to see how small they can be.

rayjay

When zeroing a scope you need the rest to be totally steady. With a good rest set up you hold the crosshair on the center of the target and shoot a shot. Then reset the gun in the rest and wiggle it around until the crosshair is back on the center of the target. Then using the turrets dial the crosshair to the hole. One or two more shots should be all that is needed.

Stroker

learn to trust your scope and clicks more I bet you could get that down to 5 shots.

I boresight, shoot once at 25, adjust scope to get me about 1in low, sometimes I shoot a 2nd at 25, all depends on just how far off that first shot might have been. Then I move to 100, shoot a group, not caring about where it is hitting, then do my math/clicks to where I want that group to move to. I'll usually let it rest and shoot that final shot. 4-5 shots is about all it ever takes to get one sighted in, could be less if I didn't shoot the 3 shot group but I like to see how small they can be.
I've used the same process when I'm in a hurry to get one sighted in but I prefer three shot groups, not only tells me what the gun is doing, but tells me if I may be part of the problem. I find trigger time invaluable when it comes to accuracy. Besides that I just like to shoot.