I’m officially a fan of bear meat!

jbogg

637D4EE3-DF1B-4C82-BFE0-BE4306CA1DFE.jpeg1ADAD1FC-1754-44EE-B1FC-751A646C73F5.jpegEC0A7A5B-5BF9-4572-B962-9F8EF543FF63.jpeg6EB9EA8A-D04B-4757-A196-333ADD4A118A.jpeg

Woke up this morning and got to work on the chili fixings with ground bear meat, while at the same time cranking up the Camp Chef smoker for a bear shoulder. Not a bite left of anything by the end of the day. I took FMBears advice and after pulling it out of the smoker I chopped it up and put it in the crockpot with my favorite barbecue sauce for a couple of hours. My nephew swore that it was beef brisket. That’s high praise from him. I have had some elk tenderloin that was dang good, but as far as Georgia big game goes, this was definitely my favorite wild game meat by far.

jbogg

I smoked some as well on my home made woodburner. Smoked it bout 3 hours at bout 250 then wrapped it in foil, gave it another 3 hours. Sliced it hot like brisket and it's the best meat I've ever pulled out of the woods. Ingredients: green hickory, black bear.View attachment 948057

That looks fantastic! I had mentioned to a couple of guys that I was not sure if I would ever shoot another bear after I got my first one. It was going to depend on the taste. All doubt has been removed. Hoping I can find another before they go to bed for the winter.

Excellent JB! That all looks awesome!

I have plans in place to have bear Chile for a meal on my next gift hunt! Me thinks you sealed the deal on that one now! :rockon:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We had a big pot of bear chili last night for my little boy's birthday party.

greg_n_clayton

View attachment 948026View attachment 948027View attachment 948028View attachment 948029

Woke up this morning and got to work on the chili fixings with ground bear meat, while at the same time cranking up the Camp Chef smoker for a bear shoulder. Not a bite left of anything by the end of the day. I took FMBears advice and after pulling it out of the smoker I chopped it up and put it in the crockpot with my favorite barbecue sauce for a couple of hours. My nephew swore that it was beef brisket. That’s high praise from him. I have had some elk tenderloin that was dang good, but as far as Georgia big game goes, this was definitely my favorite wild game meat by far.
What is your favorite sauce ?

greg_n_clayton

I smoked some as well on my home made woodburner. Smoked it bout 3 hours at bout 250 then wrapped it in foil, gave it another 3 hours. Sliced it hot like brisket and it's the best meat I've ever pulled out of the woods. Ingredients: green hickory, black bear.View attachment 948057
To what temp you cook it to ?? We need more detailed info on these preparations guys !

FMBear

All of it looks fantastic! Glad you liked the finish in the crock pot.

My folks asked that I make sure I keep the one shoulder from my bear set aside in the freezer for Christmas dinner.

I'm cooking up some marinated bear back strap this week finished in a mushroom & onion gravy. My wife and brother love the finish of the gravy with the bear.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks great! I always laugh hilariously when folks say that bear meat isn't good. They've never eaten any, obviously, or they really, really don't know how to cook, or let it rot before they processed it, one. Bear meat is the best wild meat out there. I ate many a biscuit back in the day made with rendered bear fat, too.

Back40hunter

Sure is a delicious thread, haha! I always liked it cooked in a crockpot then add some BBQ sauce just before serving. Makes a great BBQ sandwich. I need to put one in crosshairs. It’s been a while since I had any bear meat in the house.

Rabun

Man that looks good! Congratulations...again...from the mountain to the smoker(y) Thanks for sharing...you're making a bear believer out of me!

Do you guy's age bear meat like you would deer?

GAbullHunter

Itching to get back up for another bear myself before they all hide out. Didn't get much meat back off last one, so to speak( I'll be field dressing an icing my next one to bring home an finish out).. So need to get the bear meat back in the freezer. Sure would be good to have some here for Thanksgiving dinner roast! Can't wait... When I cooked my roast I cooked it on 200 for about 4hrs then on 325 for an hour til it reached 180 then let rest for few mins while still sealed in bag before opening an enjoying some good ol tender juicy meat.. Those pics sure do look good!! Gotta get some bear bbq going next week for a dinner night now.. With that bear on menu now, here is what I did manage to get without hitting the woods; with rut in down here at the time here he stood on side hwy at 4:40 in the a.m. on my way to work. So with the cruise set at 68 he decided to cross the highway an ran into me so I wipped the truck around an drug him out the road to the side, an well rest of story is he got dressed an put in the cooler will soon join the freezer for some good meals. No need to let the good meat go to waste. He had a nice rack but lost half of it somewhere unfound on the hwy. Truck got a fist size dent an lost a brake light.... But sure is some good looking grub Jbogg!! We will be up soon again to get another bear.. Good eating to ya!!

Attachments

• 1030180500-1.jpg
    1030180500-1.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 1030181531-1.jpg
    1030181531-1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 37

jbogg

Man that looks good! Congratulations...again...from the mountain to the smoker(y) Thanks for sharing...you're making a bear believer out of me!

Do you guy's age bear meat like you would deer?

I took my bear to McClures in Blairsville and I think they let it hang for over a week before processing. Whatever they did worked. It is delicious!