I’m thinking about a Ruger mark IV

Qazaq15

I’m looking for an accurate .22 LR pistol for tree rats. The ruger looks good, I like that the action is like a semi auto rifle. It seems more stable for mounting a red dot. Does anyone else have any other models I should think about?

Gaswamp

cnat go wrong with a buckmark or Mark iv

Robust Redhorse

I spent several years shooting "steel challenge" matches with .22's

I saw only 4 autoloading .22's that were dependable and accurate enough to compete:

1. Ruger Mark whatever (they all seemed to work)
2. Browning Buckmarks
3. Colt Woodsmasters
4. Beretta U22 Neos - These may be the unsung heros, if you can get your hands on one. I never saw an undue failure, and they were very accurate.

Cool Hand Luke

I spent several years shooting "steel challenge" matches with .22's

I saw only 4 autoloading .22's that were dependable and accurate enough to compete:

1. Ruger Mark whatever (they all seemed to work)
2. Browning Buckmarks
3. Colt Woodsmasters
4. Beretta U22 Neos - These may be the unsung heros, if you can get your hands on one. I never saw an undue failure, and they were very accurate.
No model 41's?

menhadenman

Have a Mark III as well , but hate the thought of disassembly ! But they are dependable 22s.
The new ones are so much easier. I sold the one I bought in the 90s for that same reason. The whole paper clip thing was crazy.

I have a Mark IV 22/45 with the bull barrel and a red dot and it’s really nice. The Browning is pretty slick too. I’d say buy both!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The new ones are so much easier. I sold the one I bought in the 90s for that same reason. The whole paper clip thing was crazy.

I have a Mark IV 22/45 with the bull barrel and a red dot and it’s really nice. The Browning is pretty slick too. I’d say buy both!
I have3 the MKIII 22/45 bull barrel and I love it. Very accurate and dependable. As mentioned, it's a bear to take apart and put back together, but not that big of a deal. Not something I do on a real regular basis anyway.

menhadenman

I have3 the MKIII 22/45 bull barrel and I love it. Very accurate and dependable. As mentioned, it's a bear to take apart and put back together, but not that big of a deal. Not something I do on a real regular basis anyway.
Wait to you see the new ones, theyll
Make you wonder why they didn’t open up with that design. Push a button and pops it open.

You’re right tho the 22/45 has a great feel to it and shoots/cycles as it should.

Gaswamp

I played around with a victory this weekend. Not a bad 22

tad1

I have owned a mark 2, 5 inch bull barrel for many years. It’s an absolute tack driver. I did put some finer sight blades in it, and I also got a volquattsen sear to improve the trigger. I Try not to carry it with one in the chamber cause the triggers probly 2 lbs.
friend has a really nice Ruger mark 22/45 lightweight version with a red dot and it is some kind of fun.
I don’t mind cleaning my Ruger at all, although many people do complain about the older models breakdown, it is a bit weird, but I could probably do it in a dark closet. But the new mark 4 model is apparently awesome easy takedown.
People also love their buck marks, victory is apparently nice as well and the price is right.
So many good options, Buy one of each….
JT

Big7

The Oracle
My SR 22 functions with whatever you feed it and there are aftermarket bases to mount reflex or other dot sights on.

I looked at a Holosun at the gun store disguised as a pawn shop yesterday.
About 250$ is all I'm willing to go. Holosun 22 dots go from 200$ to about 800$

I'm pretty good with a rifle and shotgun but need all the help I can get aiming a pistol.

That little SR 22 is sweet.

Gaswamp

My SR 22 functions with whatever you feed it and there are aftermarket bases to mount reflex or other dot sights on.

I looked at a Holosun at the gun store disguised as a pawn shop yesterday.
About 250$ is all I'm willing to go. Holosun 22 dots go from 200$ to about 800$

I'm pretty good with a rifle and shotgun but need all the help I can get aiming a pistol.

That little SR 22 is sweet.
would recommend a burris fastfire over holosun

Baroque Brass

Agree on the SR 22, it’s a sweet little gun. I have a Mark IV Hunter with a Vortex Venom sight. It’s very accurate and has never malfunctioned. Extremely easy takedown. I also have a Mark I, not so easy on takedown.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I got the Mark IV Competition (top image) four years ago; my brother got the Hunter model (top of bottom image). I like the extra weight of the all-steel construction as well as the long sight radius of the 6.88" barrel. But I can also see how that weight would be too much for some--For reference, each of these weigh as much as a standard Super Blackhawk 5.5" 44 magnum.

Comparing the two, I prefer the thumb rest grips of the Competition to the finger grooves on the Hunter's grips. I also prefer the plain black sights of the Competition over the fiber optic sights of the Hunter (I don't like fiber-optic sights). I prefer the aesthetics of the slab-sided barrel on the Competition, but I will note that it's a little more forward-heavy than the Hunter's fluted barrel (The Hunter also weighs about 1.5oz less). On both, the trigger pull is nice, with a crisp, consistent break.

As far as reliability, I've put thousands of the cheapest bulk rounds I can find through mine, often a whole brick in one session, and have not had any feeding issues. Typically, out of a brick of Thunderbolts, I'll have 0-2 failures to fire, and that round will always fire just fine in my CZ rifle. I attribute that more to the quality of the ammo that I do the gun, but there are aftermarket titanium firing pins out there nonetheless. And yes, they're stupid-easy and quick to disassemble.

Those are the ones I have experience with, but the Mark IV's come in lots of configurations... One of the coolest to me is the Target model (Model# 40126), which has a 5.5" threaded bull barrel. If weight is a concern, staying away from the steel-framed models will shed ~10 ounces. Whatever you choose, TandemKross and Volquartsen have plenty of aftermarket support, and you can pretty easily find different barrel/receiver "uppers" out there, both aftermarket and take-offs from standard models. Go hold some and see which one feels right.

20190420_195119.jpg20190420_195931.jpg