I am done with hunting feeders

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
There's so many folks hunting over corn now they should probably go ahead and make it legal.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I think some people would be happier if they just quit hunting and took up golf.
They’d complain about people hitting “their” golf balls

Blackston

You are correct sir! My neighbor borders our place on 3 sides and runs a commercial hunting operation. We definitely can't outfeed and out bait him but we keep it out pretty regular. With a neighbor running hunts 2-3 times a day, every day, it's hard to compete. But, we still do pretty good on our side. I bet their hog hunters hate us when we ride around at night baiting up our spots when we get there.
Hey Buc ???

buckpasser

I run dozens of feeders for the plantation I manage. They are very lightly hunted. So lightly in fact, that a pile of them won’t be hunted at all this deer season. There’s also at least one giant corn patch and what I call a seasonal patch at each stand that will contain peas, sunn hemp and later a winter mix with clover, brassica, wheat, rye and oats. There are deer (sometimes huge ones) at those feeders every day in broad daylight, so in that case it all works well.

At the places I hunt for myself there are always zero feeders, zero plots, and most time zero deer stands until I tote it in on my back. I prefer my way! Haha

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Good reply! I should never try to type without my reading glasses. Done from the stand without any alcoholic involvement.

My question is how long does it take for the deer to fall back into routine patterns once all the corn disappears?

Yes sir. I was funning with you since I really couldn't tell what you were trying to ask.

The answer to your question would be a complicated one depending on which pattern the deer were returning to. Deer without corn seem to shift their feeding source and location to get the best food that is available to them at any particular time within their range. My deer are on browse during the Spring and Summer and shift to Mast in the Fall. They like pears, muscadines, mulberries, & persimmons for soft mast and go to White Oaks when they start to fall. They will shift to which ever trees or areas are producing what they want. So if the corn is removed they will fall pretty quickly back into whatever it is that they would have been after anyway.

IMO, during the rut the larger bucks will not be affected much by corn so I don't think you would see any "returning to a pattern from corn" then. They have more serious things on their minds at that time of year and sometimes run themselves down pretty badly searching for the right ladies. Food doesn't seem to be nearly as important to them then.

WishboneW

Yes sir. I was funning with you since I really couldn't tell what you were trying to ask.

The answer to your question would be a complicated one depending on which pattern the deer were returning to. Deer without corn seem to shift their feeding source and location to get the best food that is available to them at any particular time within their range. My deer are on browse during the Spring and Summer and shift to Mast in the Fall. They like pears, muscadines, mulberries, & persimmons for soft mast and go to White Oaks when they start to fall. They will shift to which ever trees or areas are producing what they want. So if the corn is removed they will fall pretty quickly back into whatever it is that they would have been after anyway.

IMO, during the rut the larger bucks will not be affected much by corn so I don't think you would see any "returning to a pattern from corn" then. They have more serious things on their minds at that time of year and sometimes run themselves down pretty badly searching for the right ladies. Food doesn't seem to be nearly as important to them then.

So probably back to the preferred clover plots, privet along the creeks, etc. within a week or so?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't think it would take a week. Hungry is hungry.

Core Lokt

I have seen the deer pressured from people checking cameras so often.

If you want to run feeders use spin feeders set to only go off twice a day for short durations at the times you want. Keeps you out of the woods and saves feed.

Or, don’t run any at all. It’s your choice and I don’t care either way.

DynamicDennis

So it is now December and the feeder shooters have had enough such that they stay home

How long do odd it take the deer yo get back to normal pagers?
I get on here pretty regular. I’m in stand right now. Shot my first buck this morning not at a feeder, trying for another tonight. I kinda wish they would outlaw corn again. Was a lot cheaper than last few years

its been a pretty dismal season so far on my land. I run a feeder plus two food plots and mineral during summer. The deer are showing up only at night. not seeing them during the day like last year. Last year i was covered up with em. now im begging to see a deer. dont know whats going on.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
And to any nay-Sayers, go ahead and stop feeding before or during the season in a county similar to Hancock County next year and let me know how many deer you see on your land......If a guy doesn't keep his feeders full he will have a dismal season next year at best.

Your deer will leave your property and the neighbors will kill every last one of them. Don't believe me? Test it for yourself.

People saying they "hunt high pressure areas" makes me chuckle. I can count 47 box stands within 1/2 mile of our boundaries just on google earth alone. Thats not counting how many ground blinds and lock on's are likely scattered through the woods...lol
I hunt 100 acre tract and see deer and legal QDM bucks most everytime I am in the woods.
I don,t have a feeder on this tract.I was a big proponent of feeders.My neighbors don,t have feeders either.We all do have food plots for year round use.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
its been a pretty dismal season so far on my land. I run a feeder plus two food plots and mineral during summer. The deer are showing up only at night. not seeing them during the day like last year. Last year i was covered up with em. now im begging to see a deer. dont know whats going on.

I got the same problem but I don't bait. Everybody around me does.