I bought a crossbow, and I am not ashamed.

ringorock

I'm, relatively, young... 37. I'd always own some sort of compound or recurve bow, but every year when it came to archery deer season, I never took a shot. I did take the bows out, but I was never sure enough that I would make a humane kill, so I'd never take the shot even if it meant not filling the freezer. That's what rifle season was for. Sure, I could have taken lessons and tried to practice more. In reality, that was never going to happen.

I bought a crossbow yesterday. It took me 1/100th the time to sight it in. When it was sighted in, I destroyed all three bolts that came with the crossbow, hitting each other one by one. I always avoided them because of the social pressures of not using one unless you were old or disabled. Yea, I really shouldn't give a hoot. Now, I don't. I get to extend my deer season, and I can guarantee a humane kill. Some are in it for the sport. I get that. I'm just here for the jerky, back straps, and summer sausages.

This year is going to be fun with the extra month.

Gator89

Good for you..

If I had not moved back home far enough below the Mason-Dixon line to have a real gun season, I would have acquired a crossbow.

shdw633

I'm, relatively, young... 37. I'd always own some sort of compound or recurve bow, but every year when it came to archery deer season, I never took a shot. I did take the bows out, but I was never sure enough that I would make a humane kill, so I'd never take the shot even if it meant not filling the freezer. That's what rifle season was for. Sure, I could have taken lessons and tried to practice more. In reality, that was never going to happen.

I bought a crossbow yesterday. It took me 1/100th the time to sight it in. When it was sighted in, I destroyed all three bolts that came with the crossbow, hitting each other one by one. I always avoided them because of the social pressures of not using one unless you were old or disabled. Yea, I really shouldn't give a hoot. Now, I don't. I get to extend my deer season, and I can guarantee a humane kill. Some are in it for the sport. I get that. I'm just here for the jerky, back straps, and summer sausages.

This year is going to be fun with the extra month.

Congratulations!! What kind of crossbow did you get?

ringorock

Congratulations!! What kind of crossbow did you get?

I bought a Killer Instinct 380 Rush. It was only $250. I had bought a Geissele SSA-E for my 300 aac build that I didn't think did much better than my original trigger on it, so I did a straight exchange at Cabelas for the Crossbow. I'm taken back by how good this thing is for the price. Even more, the optic on it holds zero, even though it's some cheapo. To get into a decent compound, you'd have to spend at least $400.

Buckhead

I will be joining the club this year also. Bought an Excalibur Axe 340. I also hunt with compound bows, but usually use those out of tree stands where my movement can be concealed.

Lately, I have been hunting from the ground more. Both stationary and stalking. Difficult to draw a bow without getting busted. A crossbow makes a lot of sense for that style of hunting.

I am also getting older (mid 60s), so factoring that in. Shoulders have some mileage on them. Really like this Excalibur. Plenty fast, accurate. Very simple recurve design. Carry an extra string with you and virtually no equipment worries. Can’t say that with my compounds. They know me by my first name at the archery shop.

Last edited:

Bud Man

Had several of them for years and just couldn't see toting it , to me it was awkward and heavy. Made up my mind to use on my own property last season and fell in love with the ease of using. Killed several doe with it and enjoyed all parts of hunting with it . Watched most expire in first 50 yrds. I also admit to not being a young chicken anymore either lol , 55 The heck with the nay-sayers , Enjoy your extended season.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
I have one but I still shoot both types. Still can't put the compound down.

Jim Boyd

Why in the world would you be ashamed?

You should only feel that way if you intend to let others manipulate your emotions.

Many of the anti-crybabies also shoot deer with a gun but don’t want you to use a crossbow.

Get the hypocrisy????

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I got this 9 pointer with my old Horton Yukon in 2017. I shot several over the past 15 -20 years with it. Never knew I was supposed to be ashamed. My son made the broadhead shaped plaque. C0A9EF10-F694-45BE-ACB8-04C1EE03821E.jpeg

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Nuthing wrong with hunting with a crossbow or gun or compound or recurve. I have better things to be concerned over as long as your safe with your weapon I don’t mind what you use even if I did poke at you over it. I wuz just kiddin.

ssramage

I have both and will hung with both. I also pick up a gun during deer season. And I’m not above shooting a spike if my kids are with me and ask me to do it. I tend not to worry what other folks think. The xbow will serve you well. I killed my first couple deer with one last year and was blown away by the performance.

CroMagnum

Had several of them for years and just couldn't see toting it , to me it was awkward and heavy. Made up my mind to use on my own property last season and fell in love with the ease of using. Killed several doe with it and enjoyed all parts of hunting with it . Watched most expire in first 50 yrds. I also admit to not being a young chicken anymore either lol , 55 The heck with the nay-sayers , Enjoy your extended season.
Yep, I'm planning to get one within the next few weeks mainly to extend my hunting season. I'm a spot and stalk hunter so this will suit me just fine.