I buck limit.............

1 buck limit........

• yes

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • no

Votes: 76 46.6%
  • I'm a violator, and could care less...

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • would like a 3 buck limit.....

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
TOW said:
How about a "One Buck Limit" ...

.....with One Buck with a firearm..

... and One Buck with archery equipment?

That would "save" some bucks and get more people intersted in archery hunting..

Tow, now that would be an excellent alternative.

Good idea!

CPiper

Any provisions for youths or newbies???

GAMHUNTER35

i am all for the 3 buck limit where i hunt not many deer here need to let the does grow an take the young trash bucks out here

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Nope.

I like the two buck limit. I haven't shot a wallhanger in 4yrs, but if I do get one, I like the fact that my buck hunting isn't over for the season. Call me greedy I guess.

Tommy

Timberman

1 buck limit, seems like twice as many bucks would make it through to their second year as with a 2 buck limit...........maybe not.........I never was worth an elmoe at math.

Like said earlier, what percentage did actually take two? I would guess right now we average less than one buck per licensed hunter. :huh: This may have been brought up on the posts I didn't read, but the main drawback I see is that the doe harvest would decrease a large amount cause after someone gets their buck, no one but the diehards would keep hunting just to shoot does. It's comforting to go a doe whacking knowing if mac daddy does step out, you can still shoot him. I know I wouldn't be too excited bout getting out there if does was all I was allowed...

H

HT2

C Piper........

CPiper said:
Any provisions for youths or newbies???
My personal opinion.........

I'd have no problem with "kids" shootin' any buck for the first one, if it was their first one (would be hard to police).......But, once they are over 16 years of age, I'd say only one buck........

For Newbies........

Same applies.......

If your over 16 years of age..........1 buck.......Whatever that may be.....

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
........I guess

that's where we differ, Brad............I still get just as excited out there huntin' does, and bein out in the woods period..........and I guess alot of this comes down to the arena we are each in.............my 2 clubs, everyone in them realizes the importance of taking an adequate amount of does, so getting the desired harvest is not a factor...........everybody's different, and what evryone gets and wants out of hunting differs......... :flag:........ps-I know a BUNCH of folks (not in groups that I am involved with), that killed 2 bucks last year...... :)

leadoff

GONetwork Member
That's a tough one...but I would have to say no for a few reasons.

First reason--I killed the best buck of my life in November of the 2003 season. I topped that buck in December of the same season. I would hate to have been in that stand in December looking at that buck with no tag. :hair:

Second reason...I like to have that one extra tag for a "cull" buck. EX...My friend who hunts with me shot one last year--a unicorn buck whose antler was about 15 inches long. My buddy said the buck was extremely aggressive and rutting hard. It was a big deer, too--I would guess 180-200.

Last reason...if the one buck limit is geared to make people pass on smaller bucks and, in turn, practice QDM, I don't think it would work.

I have only "tagged out" on bucks twice in my hunting career. I have never tagged out on does--don't have that much room in the freezer!

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
My two biggest bucks were taken in the same season. That was back in 2001.

It's not impossible, but it doesn't happen all the time.

I've know quite a few folks myself that have also taken two very respectable bucks during the same season.

Tommy

BowArrow

I am one of the few that voted for a three buck limit. One tag being good during primitive weapons season only.

I bowhunt full time so don't get many shots inside twenty yards. I am not an antler hunter and it is still confusing to me why it is best to shoot the biggest and best deer and take them out of the gene pool. This is opposite from the way nature works.

I do hold out for a least eight points during the first five weeks of the season then will drop to six points if I don't get the eights. I will go for four pointers if I need the meat. I live in the coastal plains and can't expect to see large antlers. Check the GON big buck contest and see how many winners come from the coastal plains.

Last year I managed two eights and one doe with the bow.

My suggested limit would be three bucks and three does. I believe too many does are being killed.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
Leadoff

leadoff said:
That's a tough one...but I would have to say no for a few reasons.

First reason--I killed the best buck of my life in November of the 2003 season. I topped that buck in December of the same season. I would hate to have been in that stand in December looking at that buck with no tag. :hair:

Second reason...I like to have that one extra tag for a "cull" buck. EX...My friend who hunts with me shot one last year--a unicorn buck whose antler was about 15 inches long. My buddy said the buck was extremely aggressive and rutting hard. It was a big deer, too--I would guess 180-200.

Last reason...if the one buck limit is geared to make people pass on smaller bucks and, in turn, practice QDM, I don't think it would work.

I have only "tagged out" on bucks twice in my hunting career. I have never tagged out on does--don't have that much room in the freezer!
brings up several good points...........with one tag, you harvest a buck you really like.........out of buck tags...........are then huntin to remove does/fill the freezer, and you bust one with a 2 inch spike you didn't see.................one tag, you're callin' the warden.... :)

Lumpkin Hunter

I vote NO.

I don't want to give up the chance to harvest a second nicer buck. When you give something up it is hard to get it back. Keep that in mind. If you want to harvest only one buck of a certain size do it, just don't impose your desires on me. Hunting is a different thing to different people. Somebody start a poll about outlawing the use of high powered rifles and only allowing bows, muzzleloaders, pistols or shotguns. I don't know how to start one so please help me with this. I believe using a weapon that required closer range shots would help the quality of bucks as much as anything. I know I have killed several nice bucks that I would not have it I couldn't use my rifle. Oh well I guess Ifeel this way due to the fact that last year I hunted with a pistol more than I did with my rifle. I did shoot 2 with a muzzle loader, two with a rifle and one with my pistol. Yes they all went in the freezer, I am alergic to beef and vension is the only red meat I eat. 3 in the mountains and 2 in uppper piedmont.
Hunt hard.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
I voted 1 buck, but maybe have an exception for kids to maybe kill 2. One other possible problem with 1 buck is like was mentioned before is if you kill a buck in early season your slick head hunting the rest of the season. Also wonder about dishonest people who have shot 1 buck already and what would happen if they see another posible B&C or P&Y? But I do think it would be great for QDM and why shoot a 4 or 6 point when a doe is more than likely there for the taking. I definitely see alot more does than bucks when I hunt.

morris

no, probably would just drive up the cost of leases even more
with all them big bucks running around

leoparddog

One antlered buck a year should be plenty for most people. It gives you a reason to be picky about what you shoot.

"What if you shot him opening morning? Does that mean you're done for the year?"
That answer would be yes, you are done shooting bucks this year. Have at them does.

If you don't want to shoot that 130" buck on opening morning, its your choice. After all it is supposed to be about the hunt and not just about killing Bucks.