I buck limit.............

1 buck limit........

• yes

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • no

Votes: 76 46.6%
  • I'm a violator, and could care less...

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • would like a 3 buck limit.....

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters

GA DAWG

I could care less.If they did so be it.I would just hold out alittle longer.I think the hunting is getting better as far as mature bucks were I hunt anyhow.Seems everybody is coming out of the brown its down mode and wanting a better buck.

Meriwether Mike

I voted for a one buck limit, but there are some good points being made against it as well. I will continue to read and ponder this one.

Bowhunter24

I would vote no, i like it the way it is now, i like the opurtuinty to be able to shoot 2 nice bucks a yr. I dont think a 1 buck limit would acomplish anything, i mean look at alabama, u can shoot a buck a day over there and they have no problem with a shortage of big bucks :huh:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I voted no. I have never killed 2 bucks in the same year, but for the last few years i always see more than one shooter buck. Since I hunt with my bow 99% of the time i would not pass up a 110/120 class deer. (Which is very respectable in my neck of the woods). If i took a deer like that early own in the season i would miss my rut hunting in south GA.

SGaither

I pose this question; how about opening the season with archery in mid/late October and extending deer season until the end of January like it is in the Southern Zone? This maybe allows mature bucks to breed and their genes are passed on. I personally have killed 2 great bucks 15 days apart, one with a bow the other a muzzle loader. Had the season not started so early I wouldn't have been there to take them but they may have had the opportunity to pass their great genes one one more year. Just a thought I've been having since that lucky year.

As for the post I have mixed feeling for 1 buck a year. Unfortunately there are too many people that will pass up a doe waiting for that elusive buck, with only 1 buck tag more does will be passed up. If someone kills a buck early season they may be more apt to taking a doe rather than waiting for the perfect buck.

Jeff Phillips

No for me!

I shoot 2 good bucks per year more often than not. I would hate to tag my buck in bow season and only get to hunt does for the balance of the year.

I would be in favor of 4 points on a side for both bucks, and/or $50 - $75 for a tag for your 2nd buck.

As someone mentioned earlier, those that hunt 10 days a year will favor a 1 buck limit, where those of us who hunt 45 to 60 days a year won't.

RPD#99

The biggest buck I have shot was a small basket 6 pointer. I have seen some big ones but could never get a shot. I have only been seriously hunting for 3 years! So, NO..I would not object to a 1 buck limit. The question for me is, Am I willing to let a smaller one walk and "wait" to see if the bigger,130-160 class, comes my way. Do I take the opporunity given or see if another opportunity comes? My experience for the last 3 seasons has proven to shoot what comes when it comes. I would not object but as soon as the bigger buck walked by and I could not shoot it because I already used my only buck tag, then I would have a choice to make! Either, bite my lip and curse myself for not objecting or break the law! "With one game warden per county, who would know, right?" I actually had a Game Warden tell me that!

I live in Floyd Co. and we have a lot of deer. There are some nice bucks around but they are all on Berry, the refuge, or on land that you can't hunt without a Presidential mandate. I saw a definite shooter, probably 130-140 class, approximately 200+ lbs, on the land I hunt. I only saw him once and he was running does when I saw him. He never would stop. I saw him the same day I shot the cowhorn spike. In fact, about 10 minutes before I shot him.

The poaching issue is a joke! We have more unethical hunters than ethical. I can name about 15 off the top of my head that are unethical in one way or another. I don't hang out with them but they don't hide what they do either. With the system like it is, it easy to shoot more than we should.
If I know that many, and I am sure most of you know some or know it is going on in your area, do the math and you will realize that it is a problem. Heck, just read the back of the GON and you will see the ones that got caught across the state every month. What about the ones that got away with it?

I wouldn't object but I like having two to choose from. I only filled on buck tag last year anyway!

Last edited:
H

HT2

F L D..........

FootLongDawg said:
Yes, along with wholesale doe slaughter. You GOT to do both for it to work

Other than the fact that you're a 'UGA' fan and I'm a 'TECH' fan........

We'd get along just fine when it comes to huntin'.......... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
I voted no.I guess it depends a lot on how you view your current deer hunting situation.If you think there's a shortage of mature bucks in your area then I could see where a one buck limit might look like a good thing.I don't believe the bucks are overshot where I hunt so I wouldn't be in favor of it.1 buck limits make more sense to me in states that have seasons measured in days or weeks not in months like ours.

In addition it would make many wma's even more crowded as more hunters would be looking for those "bonus" bucks.

Bowhunter24

I call ** on the ones who vote for a 1 buck limit, they are all saying how great it would be, say u shoot a nice 140 class buck early, then later in the season a 160 class or bigger comes out, are u telling me if u are legally allowed to kill 2 bucks ur gonna let that bigger buck go because u alread killed a nice one??? How about this, yall guys must be really wanting something to talk about, come on deer season ::; , all the ones who want to only shoot one buck, just go ahead and shoot ur one buck, and let the ones who dont mind shooting there 2 bucks kill our 2 bucks, problem solved :cheers:

Hey bender i thought this was a ga hunting forum not a yankee forum what are u doing in here :rofl: well i guess if i can handle mrbowdeadly i could handle u :love: LOL

Jorge

I voted no. I never taken more than 1 buck in a season and it has been a while since I have done that since I pass all but mature bucks that meet my minimum. However, it two daddys pass my way in a season, I don't see any reason not to take them. I've paid my dues.

George

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Echo said:
1 buck limits make more sense to me in states that have seasons measured in days or weeks not in months like ours.

In addition it would make many wma's even more crowded as more hunters would be looking for those "bonus" bucks.

Echo, I'm not trying to pick on you or point you out, though I have to respectfully disagree with your first statement above. Because of the fact that GA has such a long deer season and especially because of the long gun season is even more reason why there should be a 1 buck limit in GA.

However, your last statement referenced above brings up a really good point. If someone just had to have that second buck, then they would have the opportunity to do so as you pointed out.

It's possible that the definition of a mature buck should be mentioned. Mature bucks at least in my mind are 4-1/2 years old or older.

Apparently, I have been hunting in all the wrong places as I have yet to see a lot of mature bucks running all over the place in all the various places I have hunted around the state.

Randy

I voted yes but that is because I could only afford to mount one per year so a one limit would not bother me. But the fact still remains that if everybody would let the immature ones walk we would have plenty of mature bucks to shoot.

bull0ne

Banned
The poll sits at 46 to 36 on a one buck vs. two buck limit, i challenge the 46 who have voted for a one buck limit, and any who voted for it after this post, to bring it up at your next hunting club meeting and see what kind of response you get ::ke:

If you would like to make a ''personal one buck limit'' feel free to do so but theres not many hunters who would not shoot a true monster buck as their second buck if the one buck limit is a personal decision,club rule or state law.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
huntnnut said:
Echo, I'm not trying to pick on you or point you out, though I have to respectfully disagree with your first statement above. Because of the fact that GA has such a long deer season and especially because of the long gun season is even more reason why there should be a 1 buck limit in GA.

It's possible that the definition of a mature buck should be mentioned. Mature bucks at least in my mind are 4-1/2 years old or older.

Huntnut,I respect your right to respectfully disagree with me and thank you for doing so!The combined archery,mz and firearms seasons (all of which I enjoy taking part in) run about 4 months in the southern zone.That just seems to me like a long time alotted for taking just one buck.Sure,I know you can get after the does but there seems to be a lot of agreement lately that we've been taking too many of them already.

Now,although I will agree with you that a 4.5 year old or older buck is a much sought after and rare deer anywhere in the state,I tend to think of one 3.5 years old as mature (they can and often do grow record book sized antlers at this age). I spend a good deal of every deer season hunting on Ft. Stewart where the soils are mostly poor and competition for available food is high.If someone kills a 130 class buck out there it is BIG news.There are good numbers of older age class bucks availabe but they're going to top out at around 170 LW and 120 B&C points (if you're real lucky) whether they're 3.5 or 6.5 years old.

A 1 buck limit may well be good option for the heavily hunted piedmont counties and southwest Georgia where bucks can attain huge sizes if given time,but I don't think it would be a good fit for the whole state.

Last edited:

jman9977

I like the limit the way it is now. But i would not mined if the current antler resrictions where increased say 8 pts and min. 15" for both bucks. This should also help with the state having better over all bucks being taken every year. by the way i have not harvested a buck in the last 3 years waiting on the right one.

Duff

I'll mix up Phil's and 6 wheelers arguement. Say you pay $650 for club dues, haul a tractor to you club once or twice per year, fork out another $100-200 for seed and fuel. Opening morning of bow season a 110 class 8 pt is standing broadside at 15 yds. What are you going to do with a 1 buck limit?