I dyed, waxed, and put them up...

buckpasser

Then I found some coyote sign and put them right back out! How do you break this terrible addiction? I’m used to having season dates that regulate my outdoor activities. I feel like I’m going feral on this coyote trapping thing.

I did get a little tricky with these sets. Only two dirthole sets on the edge of green corn in some sugar sand washes. Each is equipped with three traps and a cellular trail cam. I hope to at least see how the visitors work the set, how long, circling, etc. For a property that hasn’t shown me much sign since I caught those two a while back, these spots were pretty beat out.

36A3C072-847B-4111-8B20-54A67E644799.jpeg3D376486-33C8-4B5C-B560-1F3AF7E781D3.png

buckpasser

First visitors. Watch your step ladies.

E62859EE-A7A9-411E-9C3A-91180E44BBFF.jpeg

Doug B.

It is addictive but it is too hot for me to want to be out there!
I hope to see a lot more pictures from your setup!

buckpasser

It is addictive but it is too hot for me to want to be out there!
I hope to see a lot more pictures from your setup!

Unfortunately, I do have some pictures. I got beat up last night by a black coyote. He actually stepped on the pan of one trap at the covert cam set, then two hours later tunneled to the bait at the Muddy cam set...

In this heat neither cam is capturing small game very well, but you can see the dog in one pic and the fresh dirt trench on the other. I’ll post them up soon.

buckpasser

Now the story gets even worse! At the set that got dug up last night I buried a road kill rabbit up to her ears this morning right in the middle of all the traps. The only thing exposed were the ears.

While I was eating lunch my phone alerts me of a new pic and guess what...the coyote has my rabbit by the rear leg and is running home!

Attached are pics of the dig out, the black coyote from last night, and the black critter carrying away my rabbit. The only thing I can’t figure out is that the rabbit thief almost looks like a pup. Let me know what y’all think!

78C287C8-F9F3-4826-AD86-7B1947DAA12A.jpegEFE41B3E-1C8A-4F85-95B9-44126FC0247E.jpegC27EEFEE-4C6B-4718-BD76-2319CC777DFD.jpeg

Doug B.

It does look kinda small compared to the rabbit.

I wouldn't worry too much about the coyote walking all over your set. I would guess that happens a lot to all of us. We just don't have a camera there to prove it!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great idea , I got a picture of one a few days ago and about put mine back out , what’s in its mouth

buckpasser

Never mind , I read a little better

antharper, that rabbit wasn’t in the ground more than four hours. I thought that was incredible! I can bet you I won’t be passing up many roadkill rabbits from now on. Also, I’ve got an appointment with the chicken house man in the am. Gonna bury and possibly anchor down a couple of chickens where the dirt holes are now. Maybe get y’all some more pics at least!

blt152

Are you using anything to guide them to your traps? A rock, small piece of wood or even a stone can make them put that foot where you want it. Good luck. Tight chains.

buckpasser

Are you using anything to guide them to your traps? A rock, small piece of wood or even a stone can make them put that foot where you want it. Good luck. Tight chains.

I haven’t had any luck trying to really guide coyotes. I only do it on a micro scale. The traps are positioned around some mowed off stubble sticks to hopefully get that foot in the right place. My early sets were more heavily guided and they were horribly unsuccessful. All my catches have come from very comfortable open sets so far. The obvious downside is that some come in and leave untethered.

buckpasser

I’m pretty pumped about watching the cams tonight. I buried a big dead chicken at each set. They each have one foot exposed and I packed them in pretty dang hard. They can be excavated, but it will require a little effort and hopefully some tugging and shuffling. I have a whole sack full in the freezer so I’m committed to feeding canids until I can take possession of them.

buckpasser

There were definite coyote tracks at the set at the Muddy cam from last night, but also this critter. Do you think is a fox or small yote? I think it’s a fox working on the leftovers.

9EA1718B-E8DF-413D-B70B-7F948BC8CC63.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Looks mighty tall and lanky , I’m gonna say coyote

buckpasser

The little guy (whatever he is) came by, but not much action last night.

E436C784-7044-4C9A-86B9-F5F316E9E905.jpeg

blt152

I haven’t had any luck trying to really guide coyotes. I only do it on a micro scale. The traps are positioned around some mowed off stubble sticks to hopefully get that foot in the right place. My early sets were more heavily guided and they were horribly unsuccessful. All my catches have come from very comfortable open sets so far. The obvious downside is that some come in and leave untethered.
Try using just a portion of your bait buried in a deep dirt hole. Set your traps in a compass set around the hole. 4 traps set in a circular pattern at 4 points of the compass. Tethering your large baits with an earth anchor will help as well. Tight Chains

Doug B.

You can guide them a little as long as its subtle. I've had good luck using a pine cone, rock, small piece of dead weed stuck in the ground, small stick lying on the ground, or even a dirt clod. You just can't build a rail fence around your set and expect them to come stepping.

buckpasser

You can guide them a little as long as its subtle. I've had good luck using a pine cone, rock, small piece of dead weed stuck in the ground, small stick lying on the ground, or even a dirt clod. You just can't build a rail fence around your set and expect them to come stepping.

My friend sent me some pictures of his coyote sets and they are far from subtle in the way of backing and guiding. He catches more than me, but he claims to be in dense, stupid coyotes.