I Failed Recess!!!

280 Man

Banned
Because I don't play!!:bounce:

I started a predator control regimen last year. I was namely targeting coyotes for the deer but wasn't going to turn down 'coons, 'possums and the such for the turkeys.

While some may not agree with the catching and killing some of these animals it is a much needed thing. Look at the pic that shows the teeth. And some wonder why yotes are such a detriment to wildlife and livestock!!!!

With that said, I started setting my traps around the first of March for these coyotes and the such. Other than a few 'coons and 'possums the yotes have been non-existent, which is a good thing, even tho I have got a few pics of one yote.

Last week I moved a few traps into an area where I had gotten these few pics. After a couple of hours of sitting in fog this morning that would rival London I gave up turkey hunting and went to check my traps.

As I got into where these taps were set I could hear the sweet music of that trap chain!! I knew I had something with some "substance" to it. As I got to where I could see the trap spot I seen a nasty yote lunging and jumping to get loose! I was as giddy as a teenage boy at an all girls cheer leading camp! :bounce: Back foot two toe catch!! Best part, it was a female!! :bounce:

It was an exercise in futility for this yote. It was caught and only had a few minutes before it was gonna be "pushing up daisies". This yotes fawn killing days have ceased!!

20190408_090331_resized.jpgthumbnail (2).jpegthumbnail.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
Congrats man! I set a couple new sets where the manager was getting some pics of coyote/coyotes as well. Time will tell.
Like you, a coyote is just the ultimate prize. But all the critters need managed and the manager is pleased no matter what the critter is. Whether it protects deer, turkeys, or quail, he’s happy.

blt152

Because I don't play!!:bounce:

I started a predator control regimen last year. I was namely targeting coyotes for the deer but wasn't going to turn down 'coons, 'possums and the such for the turkeys.

While some may not agree with the catching and killing some of these animals it is a much needed thing. Look at the pic that shows the teeth. And some wonder why yotes are such a detriment to wildlife and livestock!!!!

With that said, I started setting my traps around the first of March for these coyotes and the such. Other than a few 'coons and 'possums the yotes have been non-existent, which is a good thing, even tho I have got a few pics of one yote.

Last week I moved a few traps into an area where I had gotten these few pics. After a couple of hours of sitting in fog this morning that would rival London I gave up turkey hunting and went to check my traps.

As I got into where these taps were set I could hear the sweet music of that trap chain!! I knew I had something with some "substance" to it. As I got to where I could see the trap spot I seen a nasty yote lunging and jumping to get loose! I was as giddy as a teenage boy at an all girls cheer leading camp! :bounce: Back foot two toe catch!! Best part, it was a female!! :bounce:

It was an exercise in futility for this yote. It was caught and only had a few minutes before it was gonna be "pushing up daisies". This yotes fawn killing days have ceased!!

View attachment 965121View attachment 965122View attachment 965123
Would you mind telling what baits, lures and type of sets you are using for trapping this time of year? I'm being told that baits and lures used in the fall/winter season will not work in spring/summer sets. Thank You.

280 Man

Banned
Would you mind telling what baits, lures and type of sets you are using for trapping this time of year? I'm being told that baits and lures used in the fall/winter season will not work in spring/summer sets. Thank You.

I run trail cams year 'round and I don't have a over whelming coyote problem but I do get a few pics of one or two from time to time. What Ive come to learn in a very short time is that during the Spring and Summer knowing how the coyotes use an area is of utmost importance because just like most animals they do not just roam "willy nilly" through the woods. IMO, they will be following the deer at this time of year more than most any other time due to the late Spring and Summer fawns

I use a dirt hole type set mostly and I do not dig my hole real deep but I will set near bigger rocks, stumps etc, when the sign dictates. Bed the trap and put that bait under the bigger rocks with a dab of scent on that rock.

I use several lures and a couple baits. I use both beaver and bobcat meat type baits. As far as lures I use beaver castor, coyote gland, bobcat lure, red fox lure, etc. as well as some yote, fox and bobcat pee..

The coyotes I try to trap seem to like the beaver castor the most, however I do throw a bit of bait down a hole, most times and a little pee, type depends on how I feel..

Coyotes are curious creatures and I do not think they can "multi-task"..LOL...Get their "minds" on something else..

Lately I have been using a "sight trigger" for my sets. I find feathers and once Ive got my trap bedded and baited/lured I take a few feathers and either stick in the hole or some other strategically placed area around the backing.

I also have a couple of old turtle shells Ive found but have yet to employ them, but I plan to in the next few days. How Im gonna use them, I do not know yet. I'll just wait til I get there to figure it out.

While I don't catch a lot of coyotes, and I'm not complaining, but if I get a pic of one I am relentless until I catch it.

blt152

I run trail cams year 'round and I don't have a over whelming coyote problem but I do get a few pics of one or two from time to time. What Ive come to learn in a very short time is that during the Spring and Summer knowing how the coyotes use an area is of utmost importance because just like most animals they do not just roam "willy nilly" through the woods. IMO, they will be following the deer at this time of year more than most any other time due to the late Spring and Summer fawns

I use a dirt hole type set mostly and I do not dig my hole real deep but I will set near bigger rocks, stumps etc, when the sign dictates. Bed the trap and put that bait under the bigger rocks with a dab of scent on that rock.

I use several lures and a couple baits. I use both beaver and bobcat meat type baits. As far as lures I use beaver castor, coyote gland, bobcat lure, red fox lure, etc. as well as some yote, fox and bobcat pee..

The coyotes I try to trap seem to like the beaver castor the most, however I do throw a bit of bait down a hole, most times and a little pee, type depends on how I feel..

Coyotes are curious creatures and I do not think they can "multi-task"..LOL...Get their "minds" on something else..

Lately I have been using a "sight trigger" for my sets. I find feathers and once Ive got my trap bedded and baited/lured I take a few feathers and either stick in the hole or some other strategically placed area around the backing.

I also have a couple of old turtle shells Ive found but have yet to employ them, but I plan to in the next few days. How Im gonna use them, I do not know yet. I'll just wait til I get there to figure it out.

While I don't catch a lot of coyotes, and I'm not complaining, but if I get a pic of one I am relentless until I catch it.
Thanks for your response. This past season I started trapping my lease for predators after a 50yr rest. I use to trap when I was a young man living in Ohio. I ended up with one coyote, three gray fox and one coon. I plan on putting traps in the ground again after turkey season. Basically I'm a beginner all over. Thanks again for the help.