I guess its still the acorn crop???

sgsjr

Banned
I have never been able to plant anything on my place in Talbot county until this year. I have a great garden, peas, butterbeans, tomatoes, all all sorts of other things. One thing in missing, DEER! There has not been one intrusion by a deer since it was planted! There is no fence around it, wide open. In the past, an electric fence was a must but that seems not to be the case now.

So experts on deer population, where are they????????????????????????????

Tom Borck

Banned
sgsjr said:
I have never been able to plant anything on my place in Talbot county until this year. I have a great garden, peas, butterbeans, tomatoes, all all sorts of other things. One thing in missing, DEER! There has not been one intrusion by a deer since it was planted! There is no fence around it, wide open. In the past, an electric fence was a must but that seems not to be the case now.

So experts on deer population, where are they????????????????????????????

A bunch of them are DEAD on the side of the road!! In the past month I have seen 8 fresh road kills! Just the other day I saw one big doe and one big yearling! yesterday I saw one tiny yearling DEAD.

I have seen more dead deer these past few months on the side of the road than ever! Also, I have seen a bunch of deer while turkey hunting, so I guess to answer your question they are in Screven County. And several dead ones in Bulloch County. :flag:

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Well I'm not an expert

So experts on deer population, where are they

nor can I tell you about the deer on your hunting land:)

But I will share with you that the deer on the land I hunt in Jasper County seem to be doing fine:) and I am seeing about the normal amount for this time of year:)

Hope it improves for you :)

H

HT2

sgsjr.........

Man, I don't know.......

That is kinda weird............... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Maybe they are all just on vacation, sunnin' on the beach or somethin'......... :D :D :D

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
the deer will come in, and clean you out just before you pick it for yourself!

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Saw 6 while hunting on Saturday in Wilkes county.

FootLongDawg

All Georgia Deer are dead, devastated by the liberal doe limits. Deer are being imported from surrounding states and should be in your county soon. When they do get there, they probably will eat the spring green up browse, in surrounding areas, before arriving at your plot. Suggest you go ahead and turn under plot, and regrow flowers or shrubs. Dang those hundreds of thousands of Ga. hunters that shot their limit of deer the last few years. :whip:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I guess they came to Heard and Carroll counties. Deer here seem to be doing fine. I do agree with Tom also, I have seen many deer dead on the side of the road in the last few weeks.

6wheeler

How 'bout

you all set up a deer drive and push 'em down here to Colquitt County. We could use some extra ones here! Based on what I have seen traveling up and down the roads we are doing a fairly good job of "protecting them", cause there aren't very many being run over.

Ga-Spur

Did you fertilize the garden plot good? If you did they will show up right when you get ready to pick the beans.

PWalls

FootLongDawg said:
All Georgia Deer are dead, devastated by the liberal doe limits. Deer are being imported from surrounding states and should be in your county soon. When they do get there, they probably will eat the spring green up browse, in surrounding areas, before arriving at your plot. Suggest you go ahead and turn under plot, and regrow flowers or shrubs. Dang those hundreds of thousands of Ga. hunters that shot their limit of deer the last few years. :whip:

:rofl: :rofl:

Handgunner

They'll show... Just give them time. Once they finish off the new growth that's out there, that garden will be some fine pickings for them.

My front yard is a garden pretty much.. Despite an electric fence, 2 jack russells, 2 bulldogs, and one mutt, the deer still find a way to get in it... :huh:

Scout-N-Hunt

Where are all the deer?

Think they're in Terrell County right now and traveling through the lease and up & down the dirt roads surrounding it. Nearly ran over 3 big, fat does while doing a drive-by after setting up a feeder on Monday. Deer sign everywhere. Don't worry, they'll return to your neck of the woods come time to harvest that garden of yours!;)

::gone:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
All I can say is that is that they are everywhere on my Washington C. lease.

I just got in from cutting grass and had a big doe standing out in my yard while I was cutting grass!

Tommy

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
They moved here

I think your deer all moved to Elberton, :))) This picture was taken in mid april on a half to one acre plot that we made on our place. We have two cameras out on two different plots and we get about 150 pics per week as they are coming in steady. Keep the faith if you planted they will find it.

Attachments

• z Apr 13 2005005.JPG
    z Apr 13 2005005.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 148

SlipperyHill Mo

sgsjr,

I guess we are just poor farmers as well as poor hunters LOL. Some people seem to find it hard to believe that in some areas of the state the deer population is definitely down from in the past. Hunter density has a lot to do with the deer density.

The QDM magazine, Quality Whitetails, has an article addressing this subect of less deer as a result of QDM. The gist of it says, I think, the deer are there but they are just smarter.

BigMassiveDaddy

Saw about 35 the other afternoon in Oconee Co and Hancock is doing fine

Heck, I had 5 come into my back yard the other day in Walton Co. Every time I go to my parents in Rockdale and go fishing, there are 4 or 5 there.

Either these deer are following me around or there are plenty of deer in the woods.

Jeff Phillips

We will have to wait to see what everyone is saying come November.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are in for another tough year.

Maybe this year we can blame a poor acorn crop :huh:

How many down years do we have to have before folks will admit that we are moving in the wrong direction with the deer herd?

Hunter densities in most areas are too high and I really don't see that changing :rolleyes:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I honestly don't know Jeff.

I've been seeing about the same number of deer per season for 15yrs!!!

I've hunted all over this state too.

I'm sure some area's have been shot out, but my opinion is that the whole state isn't in jeopardy.

Each hunting camp in the state needs to evaluate their own property, be it by each member logging all their deer sighting and kills or hire a biologist to come out and give you something to base your harvest rules etc.... on.

Nobody is telling anybody that a hunter has to shoot over 10 does a year. Regulate it yourself, try to go out to neighboring clubs and see how their season's are going. If it's the same as y'alls try to set up a 2 or 3 club management scheme. Limit the doe harvest to 1 or 2 a member and see what comes of it.

This is just what I'd be doing if I was in some of the situations some of you guys are in. I have too many does on my land right now. My game cams are showing me that. Out of over 70 odd pics so far I've only gotten 5 confirmed antlered bucks and 3 button bucks. The rest are does and three of them are "I can't tell pics".

My deer sightings on my club last year, out of 46 deer I saw on my land only 6 were antlered bucks. About 5 button bucks, and a couple of unknowns.

It's the same for everybody else in my club. It was our first season, but now we've gotten a plan set up based on our own data through kill/sightings logs and game camera pics.

We plan on popping some does this season.

Tommy

Jeff Phillips

Thomas - I have 1 club that is having a problem and 1 that is great. Problem is my kids only get to hunt with me on the 1 with the low density.

We have some problems with neighbors that share 3 property lines with us. 1 club is 160 acres with 7 members, 1 is 300 acres with 12 members, and 1 is just 25 acres (only 250' wide) with 3 guys hunting. I have talked to all of them in the past and they show little interest in passing ANYTHING.

I have seen similar situations in Crawford County and in Wilkes.

I don't know what the answer is, maybe after a few more down years some of these folks will move on and we can lease their property ;)