I guess very few people shoot flint/percussion muzzleloaders now..

Hawken2222

I shoot a 50 cal TC Hawken with 85 grains of fff black powder, and a patch & ball. I have killed several deer with this gun, and it is suprisingly accurate out to 100 yards.

Slasher

Darkhorse said:
Slasher, What do you mean "Blackpowder season is only a week"?
It lasts all season for me. The best time to kill a big buck with a flintlock is during the rut not during that one week the state uses to sell extra licenses.
Plus that big white cloud of smoke just looks better hanging in cold, frosty still air than it does hanging in a cloud of humidity and skeeters.

Yeah well after bow season its my lil boys turn ... and if not him then my lil princess (weather permitting) So... This year it focussing on getting them into it or taking them with... so probably won't be this year...

But I feel the pull...

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Dang ya'll are killing me! I gotta smell that powder burning! I wish it would cool down so it would be enjoyable!

T

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ll try to get somes times and dates for some rondyvoos up soon.

CK'n

axle?

jimminy crickets! That 4 balls to a pound -wow- a 4 bore is mean. I was dumb enough to shoot one once - that had a 1500 grain ball in front of 220 grains of BP. That was supposedly a half load of powder.... not nice! I had enough sense not to try that again. Some one took a picture of me stuffing my .50 cal barrel a little ways into the bore of that thing to get a good prespective of just how big it is.

Flintlock, if a crossbow can have a scope, a tube to guide the bolt, and what you hang on to looks like a rifle stock....well what is it to augment that bow string with a little BP? That bow string would have a metal catch to hold the bolt. Some thing like a breech plug? hmmmmm....

naw, wouldn't work, who am I kidding?

well imagination is fun though

Take care,
Chris

moosejr

I built a small swivel gun 18" barrel 1" bore shoots 1200gr. roundballs and 300gr bp it's on a tripod and I still won't hang on to it. that 4 bore's gotta be mean.....

Darkhorse

Back in those days I lived in Macon County, a lot of my family's from there. I haven't seen Benny in quite a few years. The last time I saw him was at a BP match in Fort Valley and he was demonstrating one of his mortars he builds. He used a can (beer probably) filled with concrete as the projectile and used about 1/2 pound of 2fg each shot. That thing would really lob that projectile a long ways with no tumbling.
The last time I talked to him on the phone he said he was into smoothbores and had started making smoothbore barrels.
I keep thinking I'll attend one of these Rondys one day and run into him, just haven't done it yet.

leoparddog

I shoot a Hawkins style side lock. I have used the powder pellets in it, but couldn't get it to group worth a darn with them.

CK'n

this thread is wandering around

I would like to build one of those noise makers.. a small cannon or huge bore tripod mounted gun. Doesn't have to be particularly accurate, just a noise maker and smokescreen producer. The kids around here kinda go over board once in awhile with the fireworks. I have wondered what I could do with a little "mature" tinkering. Have a lathe, mill, welder, etc I use for gunsmithing. Now how to make one that is safe to fire....the only thing that has held me back. Oh ya, I don't really want to hold it. That 4 bore taught me a lesson I won't soon forget (I'm 6'-2 @ 260 lbs), getting stomped on is not an option I want to consider.

How did you guys make yours... I would like to try to copy one already proven to be safe to fire (please take my copying as flattery) . I am too old to willingly go through all that crying, pain, bandages, etc. any more experimenting!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Flintrock

Throwback said:
One other question, I assume you can't shoot pellets in the "old fashioned" percussion rifles (T/C Hawken, Lyman deerstalker/plains rifles, etc) at least it says "inlines only" on the pellet boxes. :huh:

T
Sorry Throwback, A little slow but sure. I overlooked your question.
You are correct. You can't shoot the pellets in a traditional sidelock because the pellets stay in the breech of the barrel and do not turn the corner to enter into the drum area,therefore, the fire from the exploding cap is going into a empty drum.
Powerdex is hard to ignite and inconsistant .For tighter groups try blackpowder or another substitute

moosejr

how I built my swivel gun

I started out with a 22" piece of 3" cold roll shaft, I left it full size for about 4" inches on the breach end and tapered it to 2-1/2" about an inch and a half from the muzzle then flaired it back up to just under 3" at the muzzle. Before turning it I bored my barrel first with a 1/2" bit then 31/32 and finaly a 1" reamer. I left 2" of meat at the breach end. (I chose not to bore it through. I figgered a solid breach would be stronger plus a lot less work.) With a 1" hole that left me with 1" walls at the breach. I turned a seperate handle and threaded it into the breach end for looks.:D :D I'll try to get some pics and post then if I can figure out how.:huh: Hope this helps. The trunions are slotted and bolted to the bottem of the barrel and I cut the swivel out of a solid piece of 3" thick by 5" wide steel, I know this sounds like alot of work but it only took me about 4 weeks (nights and weekends) from start to finish. I sure have alot of fun with mine, It's a big hit at the rondies.:cool:

CK'n

this gives me enough to get started... how much powder did you say you used?

Thanks & look forward to the photos!
Chris

moosejr

I,m useing 300gr. ffg behind a 15/16 patched round ball, for makin' noise just replace the ball with a wad of damp news paper. Here's the only pic I got right now. Makes a good avitar don't it.:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Last edited:

Southbow

I have a .50 cal Hawken made for Cabela's that I bought about 10 years ago. I've been hunting with a longbow for the last 6 years, but I'm thinking about taking the Hawken some this year. I saw a new foam cleaner in one of the catalogs. Is this stuff worth using? Is there a better alternative for cleaning?

thanks,
chris

CK'n

The legs heavy enough on that thing? (4x4's?) 300gr is not so bad. I am seriously looking into making a copy of it.

One of the best cleaners I have found for BP is Ballistol. It is not the best smelling stuff (kinda like sweat socks in a gym bag). It does a very good job removing powder residue and seems to have an amazing ability to prevent corrosion. You mix it with water...yet the metal won't corrode. It has been around since something like the beginning of WW2.

I like it.

Thanks,
Chris

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Now HERE is a cool website!
http://www.longrifle.ws/

Reckon how much his horns cost...:cry:

ron_1.jpg

T

moosejr

CK'n said:
The legs heavy enough on that thing? (4x4's?) 300gr is not so bad. I am seriously looking into making a copy of it.

I like it.

Thanks,
Chris

Ya, a friend had some spare oak layin' around. He glued up the legs and planed them to fit into the 4x4 tubing I used for my top cap. The legs slide out for transport.