I made gumbo

Dr. Strangelove

Nice! I like a gumbo any way it's made!

Nimrod71

TJay, you have given me and idea. I'm home alone and I need to cook something with a lot of vegs. and a Gumbo sounds right to me. My wife left me with some leg quarters and I have never made a chicken gumbo before. I feel a little froggy so I think I will jump right in. I've got everything I need. I'll let you know how it turns out.

pop pop jones

Not sure I've ever had gumbo without any sausage in it, but gumbo really doesn't have a set list of ingredients anyway.

Nimrod71

I just finished another bowl of my Great chicken gumbo. Pop, you are right, from the time I spent in La. duck hunting and visiting the locals about the only thing important in gumbo is Okra and plenty of it. Campbell Soup use to offer a Chicken Gumbo but I have not seen any in years. Anyway since my Doc. said I needed to cut back on red and fat meat I decided to try something different. Reading this post gave me the idea.
So I put one together.

I started by boiling four chicken thighs for one hour.
Chopped up one large belle pepper and one large onion

When the chicken was done I peeled the skin off, for Barney, and chipped it up and placed it back in the pot in the same water I boiled it in. Then I added the belle pepper and onions.

Then I added a bag of frozen Gumbo Vegetables along with a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. I like tomatoes in just about everything.

Next I added 3 table spoons of Tony Chachere's Ogr. Creole seasoning.

I know you are supposed to use a roux but I didn't have any flour left so I used Idaho mashed potato flakes instead, 1/4 cup.

I brought the mixture back to slow boil for 15 minutes, then turned the burner off.

Now I prepared a cup of Mahatma Brown Whole Grain rice. This is not like white rice it takes more water and a longer cook time.

After the rice was done, in my micro wave it took and hour, I mixed it in the pot with the other ingredients

It turned out really tasty and I enjoy 4 bowls. To me this is just a basic recipe and you can add what ever you like. I will be making more gumbo in the future.

Oh it is good with corn bread or corn nacho chips.

Dr. Strangelove

After the rice was done, in my micro wave it took and hour, I mixed it in the pot with the other in

Umm, an hour in your microwave? Sure 'bout that?

Nimrod71

Dr. that is total time, boiled water first, added rice brought back to boil, then 45 minutes simmer time until all water is taken up. This rice is good for adding to stews and whatever because it is a hard brown rice and has a lot more fiber to it. However the cook time is a good bit longer than white rice because it is harder.