I Never Would Have Thought It!!!

oldguy

I've caught several over the years and same here couldn't figure out how they found the set. First I remember I had a dirt hole along a woods road with an overhead canopy of pines. No way that critter coulda' seen that thing from the air. As far as smell how much odor does a piece of bait no bigger than your thumb give off anyway?
Another that's always puzzeled me was at a logging ramp in the woods where a farmer had deposited a dead yearling calf. About 20 - 30 yards away was a stump. I made a dirt hole up against the stump with a thumb sized chunk of bait off the calf. There's a whole dang calf laying out there and a buzzard went to the dirt hole! $50.00 fox or a worthless buzzard - just my luck.

Big7

The Oracle
They sure do stink up close !!??

280 Man

Banned
They sure do stink up close !!??

I threw an old blanket over it so I could set it free! I really didn't notice any real rank odor. What worried me more than anything was getting bit!

A friend of mine got bit/pecked, ever how you wanna see it by one years ago and he got an infection that caused him some serious issues!

These things defecate down their legs. This "poop" is highly acidic. This is what kills all the bacteria from when standing in carrion while eating and their gut juices are full of deadly bacteria!

These things can cause very serious issues if handled carelessly!

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I threw an old blanket over it so I could set it free! I really didn't notice any real rank odor. What worried me more than anything was getting bit!

A friend of mine got bit/pecked, ever how you wanna see it by one years ago and he got an infection that caused him some serious issues!

These things defecate down their legs. This "poop" is highly acidic. This is what kills all the bacteria from when stand in carrion while eating and their gut juices are full of deadly bacteria!

They will throw up on you, too.

Big7

The Oracle

These things defecate down their legs. This "poop" is highly acidic. This is what kills all the bacteria from when standing in carrion while eating and their gut juices are full of deadly bacteria!

I saw one CRAWL out of the body cavity of a deer in the gut pile in what was"Ogeechee" WMA Before it closed. We had to go exactly 1 mile from the dirt road to get to our gate.?

I never saw that before. NASTY.??

280 Man

Banned
I saw one CRAWL out of the body cavity of a deer in the gut pile in what was"Ogeechee" WMA Before it closed. We had to go exactly 1 mile from the dirt road to get to our gate.?

I never saw that before. NASTY.??

I witnessed three or four come out of a dead cow one time. They are nasty but the good Lord designed them this way tho! Just think how it would be with out them!

oldguy

This was back in the early 70s so I don't know ifg they were protected, but the professor at ABAC was a former DNR biologist and he didn't mention it. Any way I caught one in a trap. We were required to make a bird and a mammal study skin in the afore mentioned professor's class. I already had a bird but thought I 'd take the buzzard back to see if anyone wanted to do it. Tried killing it w/o damage - no blunt force trauma, no shooting. Tried streatching/breaking its neck. No luck. Tried drowning it. Held that sucker underwater, it'd just lay there and blink and blow a few bubbles! Wound up tying it up tight so it couldn't get away, put it in the back of my truck and taking it back to school. Found a guy who said he'd use it (we were in the prof's office). Think he may have put it in a freezer before making his study skin. Man we had fun in those classes - school the way school should be!!