I see several posts during the season and the offseason regarding neighboring property & neighbors...ranging

rstallings1979

from hunting the line, deer leaving each others property because the neighbors feed more etc. This is just a conversation starter so please no one take offense but I personally feel most of the talk is in our head and just a general "the grass is greener on the other side" thought. I recently had an area clear cut and we were marking the property line with the wood buyer. I ran into a cell camera and a lock on stand about 50 or 75 yards inside my property. I laughed it off and called the neighboring property owner whom I know leased out the hunting rights to a group out of Florida. I told him to have the head guy give me a call. I got the phone call and explained we were about to cut and one of the members had a stand and trail cam over the line hanging on good mature trees. He apologized profusely a few days later after they went in and removed the items. He told me it was a younger member and assumed I was mad. I laughed and explained I didn't want the property to be damaged and we are all on the same side as far as trying to harvest an animal. His next statement was "man you know how people think....the deer are always bigger across the line". I got to thinking he is probably right. We all tend to think the grass is greener in just about everything in life and it causes us a few headaches long the way.

What are your thoughts...I feel like we really overthink what the neighbors are doing. I do know I have found that I can't compete with the peanuts and soybeans they have on their property this year vs our cotton....regardless of what summer plots I plant. They can't compete with my peanuts next year when they have all cotton. Eventually the bucks will change their pattern and head back my way once the cooler temps return and my acorns fall. I have cut back to 2-3 feeding stations from 6 on our acreage because of the neighboring ag.

I also realize every property is different of course. I do know if I had 500 acres of woods and my neighbors had 500 acres of woods & ag I would probably just accept the fact that they will likely have more deer bouncing around and there is really nothing I can buy, plant, or do to prevent that.

bany

Lots of truth and sense there.

GeorgiaBob

I know for a fact that someone is pushing most of the big bucks away from me onto properties I cannot hunt. Far too many times monster bucks with racks stretching almost to next week trot by just out of range and settle on the next property over. I know it is a major conspiracy because it has happened to me in three different states. Some secret cabal is stealing trophy bucks and great venison. There should be a serious investigation. :mad:

But other than that secret cabal, active only in season, it appears to me that very few people intentionally hunt other peoples property/leases. Most of the time I notice hunters going out of their way to avoid situations where they would be infringing on a neighbor's hunting.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
There is a hillside on the powerline to the east of my property across the creek. I have one hunter who is fixated on the fact that all the big deer cross the power line right of way "over there". He has killed good deer on my side but still he is convinced that the really big ones are all across the creek. LOL

JROESEL

I’ve been taught my entire life not to worry about things you don’t have control off, I’ve killed ten mountable deer on a lot of ten acres, I know they don’t stay there, a wild animal doesn’t have a map of property lines, they don’t care, I look at it this way, I put my sweat equity in, hunt the wind and be in the right place at the right time, if it works out, it works out, I’ve never understood why people get so upset about a wild animal, fish etc, There’s ALOT more things that are more important right now in this world, a deer is at the very bottom

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
There's no fifty or hundred rule that keeps anyone from hunting near any property line. Just use common sense in selecting where you hunt.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Luckily I have great neighbors. While I wish I had more land, and realize I don’t have the stand placement options my neighbor has. I also know that whatever he does benefits the herd, which in turn benefits my hunting. We are also similar in deer harvest thoughts, and have no issues if a shot deer crosses our lines. Good communication, common sense and decency goes a long ways in the hunting community.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Lots of truth and sense there.

Tons of it. Everybody around me baits so around about October the bucks leave because they are following the does to the food. It's frustrating for about 10 seconds. Then I settle in to my stand and hunt.