i shot the decoy bear at cohutta

ga alan

i went to cohutta for the 4 day hunt last week. thur. morning a hunter shot a bear 200 yds from me. i helped him track this bear for 2 or 3 hrs. bear scat every where , white oak limbs torn down, trees climbed sign every where. we lost track of the bear and could not find it. i saw nothing thur. afternoon. friday morning i hunted by a creek untill 10 oclock and really thought i would see a bear but did not. got in my truck drove about 400yds and saw a bear out of the corner of my eye about 75 yds off the road i looked back to see how big it was, looked to be 150 or200 #s. iam driving the truck and do not have time to see the bear for very long. i tell myself the bear is over 50 yds off the road and is big enough to shoot so it is legal, i drive down the road about 400yds park truck,put my orange vest on and get my rifle and walk way down in the woods and come up on this bear from the woods side, peep head over hill there it is duck back down take a few carefull steps raise up a little and shoot bear. i stand up and bear does not move i said oh no how much is this going to cost me. i think i am legal. the GW yells i walk to bear. taxidermist did agreat job looked life like. the GW asked me where did u come from, how did u get here, i told him i parked at the camp down the road. he said are u camped there, i said no, he said were u parked on the road i said yes, he said i scared him to death when i shot. he said were u in the truck that went by and i said yes. he said come on. he said he had never had anyone shoot the decoy from the woods. he did not know what to do. the 3 GWs talked it over and said he was going to give me 2 warning tickets. 1 for not enough orange, i had bought the orange at walmart, 2 for( hunting from the road) because i had saw the bear from truck he said it was pursing game with a vehicle. never heard of it. i thought i was legal. i am glad they were warning tickets............short version alot more talking to gw......

Last edited:

big buck down

I don't see what you did wrong. That may have aggravated me even if they where warning ticket. kinda like getting a slap on the wrist for not doing anything wrong. but then maybe there is a law that says you cant see game from the road and decide to park and walk in the the wood and hunt in that spot.

chadf

Details please!!!!

The whole story, not the short version!

A legally shot decoy???? Don't hold out on the details!

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Pursuing game from a vehicle ??? Because you saw it from your truck... Thats ridiculous. Glad you didnt get ticketed and found a way to beat the man and put a nice hole in their decoy LEGALLY!!! :bounce:

ga alan

i just measured the vest it has 550 inches of orange. made by bear ridge, the orange does not go up to the shoulder in the front its legal.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bwaaahahahaha!!!! He shot the decoy. HAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl::rofl::rofl: He shot the *****gasp***** decoy!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I just went and re-read the regs. quote: 'Hunt or shoot from or across a public road.' That is stretching the regs just to harass you for making the GW soil his pants.

You shot the decoy. ::ke:::ke: I have always wanted to do that. :bounce::bounce:

I was warned once about the age of my orange. Too old :banginghe Five years later and I am still wearing it. It is still hunter orange.

fishndinty

LOL Where did you shoot it? Shoulder? Head? ROFL!

243Savage

I just gotta ask.....

When you first saw the bear and it's standing there as if frozen, then when you snuck up on it, and it's still standing in the same spot, again as if frozen.....hadn't moved a muscle.....didn't that seem kind of odd? There had to have been a good amount of time between when you first saw it and before you got through the woods to shoot at it.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
i went to cohutta for the 4 day hunt last week. thur. morning a hunter shot a bear 200 yds from me. i helped him track this bear for 2 or 3 hrs. bear scat every where , white oak limbs torn down, trees climbed sign every where. we lost track of the bear and could not find it. i saw nothing thur. afternoon. friday morning i hunted by a creek untill 10 oclock and really thought i would see a bear but did not. got in my truck drove about 400yds and saw a bear out of the corner of my eye about 75 yds off the road i looked back to see how big it was, looked to be 150 or200 #s. iam driving the truck and do not have time to see the bear for very long. i tell myself the bear is over 50 yds off the road and is big enough to shoot so it is legal, i drive down the road about 400yds park truck,put my orange vest on and get my rifle and walk way down in the woods and come up on this bear from the woods side and shoot bear. i stand up and bear does not move i said oh no how much is this going to cost me. i think i am legal. the GW yells i walk to bear. taxidermist did agreat job looked life like. the GW asked me where did u come from, i told him i parked at the camp down the road. he said i scared him to death when i shot. he said were u in the truck that went by and i said yes. he said he had never had anyone shoot the decoy from the woods. he did not know what to do. the 3 GWs talked it over and said he was going to give me 2 warning tickets. 1 for not enough orange, i had bought the orange at walmart, 2 for( hunting from the road) because i had saw the bear from truck he said it was pursing game with a vehicle. never heard of it. i thought i was legal. i am glad they were warning tickets............short version alot more talking to gw......

Sounds like the GW is the idiot here and you caught him snoozing with his shorts down, so he had to make up some bogus junk to keep from admitting that he wasn't man enough to shake your hand for making it legal and just letting you walk.

ryano

Banned
dude, I applaud you for your honesty to admit this :bounce:

this might be the best story Ive ever read on a hunting forum :flag: LOL!

You shot their decoy................legally! LOL!

Last edited: