i shot the decoy bear at cohutta

bluemarlin

A blatant violation of basic firearms safety rules. #4 to be exact.
"Be sure of your target and what's beyond it."

If you KNEW it was a decoy, and still shot it, you should lose your priviledge to hunt in the future.

You must be the captain of the ethics police... Did you read the entire thread? lol!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Post pics of the orange vest or.......

T

fishndinty

A blatant violation of basic firearms safety rules. #4 to be exact.
"Be sure of your target and what's beyond it."

If you KNEW it was a decoy, and still shot it, you should lose your priviledge to hunt in the future.

WTM,
A decoy is made to look like a target. If someone dressed up in a very deer-like costume and got shot in the woods, there is no jury in the world that would convict the shooter.

Pretty simple, IMO.

WTM45

You must be the captain of the ethics police... Did you read the entire thread? lol!

I just call it like it is.
Those who can not identify their target as a live game animal vs. a decoy even while stalking it at the very least need some remedial hunter education.

There is no excuse for not identifying a target prior to breaking the shot. Period.

To bad you couldn't have hit with one of those explosive arrows like the Duke Boys used to shoot.........

Props on sticking it to 'DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ddd-shooter

A full-body bear mount with its head down feeding would probably fool most hunters.
If it couldn't, or could easily be spotted as a fake, why would the DNR use it?

bluemarlin

Those who can not identify their target as a live game animal vs. a decoy even while stalking it at the very least need some remedial hunter education.

There is no excuse for not identifying a target prior to breaking the shot. Period.

Captain, actually he did identify the target prior to breaking the shot.
Remember, it's a decoy mount that was made to bust people.
Do you think the game warden made the wrong call? Or, are you the game warden in question?

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yeah, it probably did look just like a bear. Oh...wait....it WAS a bear. A really s-l-o-w bear.

hevishot

Banned

oh man, thats funny.....:crazy:

Alaska

While I do understand the need to ticket " discharging a firearm from the road" and improper hunting practices ( of which I don't see in this situation). I have never understood why GW entice poor judgment by lesser sportsmen. By placing this mounted decoy for the purpose of catching road shooters THEY CREATE unsafe situations for those that may be in the area. I guess they have to find a way to pay for the full size bear mount.GW write tickets for hunting over BAIT whether you put it out or they do!!!!! I do appreciate and respect their job just don't understand the tactics.

WTM45

Captain, actually he did identify the target prior to breaking the shot.
Remember, it's a decoy mount that was made to bust people.
Do you think the game warden made the wrong call? Or, are you the game warden in question?

So you are saying he knew it was a decoy? Then firing on it is truly an unsafe act.

The way I understand it, he did not verify his target as being an actual game animal. He "thought" it was a bear.
It was not.

I do not agree fully with most LE entrapment tactics. Many female (and male) officers make convincing prostitutes. Some fall for the bait every time.

But pulling the trigger anytime on an unidentified target is hogwash. It is a basic safety fundamental.

ABBYS DAD

Let's close the case here......

Put out Decoy Game Wardens.

We put out decoy squad cars all of the time....it works! You wouldnt think twice about shooting at or even being near the game warden decoy standing out in a ever so close to the road food plot... just a thought.

I'm sure you'd find good company with the group of GW's that put the decoy out at Cohutta. GA Alan did shoot a real bear - with it's head down eating. The difference is everything not visible to the human eye had been removed from its insides. Your attitude seems to imply he is wreckless and could have easily killed a man. The unsafe act here is the fact the game wardens didn't consider anyone coming from any direction other than the road. Hopefully this shooting will change their procedure as to where to locate a decoy - it should be located so as to minimize the possiblity of a hunter on foot approaching from any direction other than the road. GA Alan has been my closest friend and hunting partner for 32 years. We are both safety freaks. I'd feel safer in the woods if everyone was a safe as he.

Killdee

What then was he suposted to do yell at it, HEY BAR, AIR U A DECOY OR A REAL BAR.

Go write some warning tickets elsewhere.

bigdaddyrabbit77

thats so funny......if they would have let you have the bear you would have saved a bundle on getting it mounted!!!!!! .....good story

ga alan

a little about me.....all the circumstances were perfect, if i had been going slower in the truck, if someone else would have been in the truck with me, if i had stopped, if i had seen the bear sooner, it looked so real from the moving
truck, eating at the log, if i had saw it from 200 yds across a valley, in the woods, i would have had time to look at it.......but i peeped over a hill at 80 yds saw a bear and shot it...... i have killed a pie bald with a bow and 24....8 points or better and let several 8 points go... i have killed lots of hogs with gun and bow. almost all were killed on public land...hunting is what i am good at. i can not believe i shot the decoy... maybe some one else but not me ....... I shot a bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ga alan

here is the vest, the road was up hill maybe 60 ft straight up. it was in the mtns

Attachments

• vest.jpg
    vest.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 2,798

bluemarlin

No doubt in My mind you're a true hunter ga alan.
I feel the department is making the wrong call and baiting people up. They are asking people to shoot their guns from any angle.