I think I may have an otter problem...

Golden Bear

So, we stocked our .83 acre pond in Hancock county 2 years ago with 5-8" catfish and smaller bream. The fish originally thrived while being fed and was looking forward to some fish frys this summer....however, my fish have disappeared. We used to see boat loads of fish when we fed and now we nary have a small bream come up to eat. I am hoping that the fish are merely dormant for the winter and hanging out on the bottom and eating the sinking pellets. But, I have see some evidence that something has been eating the fish. I have found bones along the banks and parts of fish, heads mainly, in the weeds along the bank downwind. Do you think I have a otter problem??? It seems like the fish have been decimated in 2 months. What do you guys think?? Any other explanations?

whitetailfreak

Otters don't have an impact on fish populations, just ask the GSMNPS ?

Definitely sounds like you've got a problem, hope you get to the bottom of it.

sleepr71

Yep,Mark nailed it. They move in,like hogs..hang around until food is gone...then move on? IMO..an Otter is a relentless,underwater predator,that will..eventually..round up & kill everything edible in a pond.?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I go more by the piles of fishbone otter scat on every mossy rock beside the creek, the trout you catch with teeth cuts, and the shortage of bigger trout since the otters have repopulated heavily. If you watch one awhile, almost every time he goes down, he comes up with a fish.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
These are common now:

Seems like I catch a lot of fish with teeth cuts on them for some reason, and we don't have gators here:

1bow1.jpg

Attachments

• 1bow1.jpg
    1bow1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1