I think I'm through with Adobe.....

jason308

Does anyone know of any GOOD photo software out there that is not made by Adobe? I am sick of no customer support, etc......It'll cost me $29 to speak to someone about an issue one time.....As much as this software costs it ought to be free. It is always something stupid, that the manual doesn't cover and that I can't find on their website. No sense in garbage like that. Anyone use the Capture software by Nikon? Am I searching for ghosts looking for a program with free tech support? I want something with the capabilities of Photoshop, just with actual customer service. Thanks for any advice y'all can provide.

BTW here is my problem for the day....I couldn't get the organizer to open RAW files, and i found a thread on an Adobe forum about making sure that the camera raw plug in was only installed in the plug in folder-and deleting it from other folders. Maybe I messed it up, but I deleted the plug in from several other folders and now the Editor won't open up. The Organizer opens up fine, but the full edit and quick fix modes won't open.....I had no idea that deleting the Camera Raw plug in from another folder would lead to this kind of trouble.....i get two error messages....1) "Could not initialize Photoshop Elements because the file could not be found" and 2) "The action you have requested could not be completed because the application is not responding. It may still be loading or waiting on a response for you."

Now I can't edit my photos, but the organizer works....:banginghe Sorry, just had to vent. Thanks

rip18

As long as you have the CDs, you should be able to remove the program & reinstall...

A LOT more Adobe help goes on on-line & via person-to-person telephone that ever comes out of the official help line.

As programs get more & more complicated, there is less & less that "normal" users can muck with successfully...

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
jason, i am sorry for your trouble !!! i agree with rip, reinstall that stuff !!!! but then again i am the fella who can't figure out how to do the stupid wirless thing for my laptop !!!!

Hoss

Reinstall is the way to go. Actually, you may be able to do a repair from the installation CD, try the install without removing the program. You may get a selection in the install menu that says repair.

Hoss

jason308

Thanks y'all, Hoss I tried the "repair" but no luck there.....I'm in the process of uninstalling it now.....I'll let y'all know how it turns out....I just get aggravated with garbage like this....:banginghe

Hoss

That's the one thing I have learned about computers, they are either the greatest thing since sliced bread or great boat anchors and can change from one to the other very quickly.

Hoss

jason308

That's the one thing I have learned about computers, they are either the greatest thing since sliced bread or great boat anchors and can change from one to the other very quickly.

Hoss

10-4 on that Hoss.....

On a brighter note, it appears that uninstalling/reinstalling the software and recopying the camera raw plug in fixed it....Everything works now...I was worried that i only had "x" license agreements (like with Microsoft) and wouldn't be able to install it again...Got burned on that one last year.....

Thanks for the advice Rip, F1, and Hoss.......:flag:

acurasquirrel

I purchased a book to help me. It was like $50 at borders, but its nice to have step-by-step reference right there. Im sure I could find everything for free online, but I like being able to have the book open while Im editing photos.

jason308

I purchased a book to help me. It was like $50 at borders, but its nice to have step-by-step reference right there. Im sure I could find everything for free online, but I like being able to have the book open while Im editing photos.

Yeah, thanks I have a great book for the editing....It just doesn't cover the "Jason is an idiot and hit the wrong button trying to fix something" problems that occur on a daily basis with me!!! :rofl:

Hoss

That's what the reinstall cure is for, Jason. Taken often, in time you develop an immunity to doing dumb stuff with only occasional relapses. (At least that's what I keep telling myself.)

Hoss

ronfritz

Not much to add at this point Jason. Sounds like reinstalling fixed both the original and the unintended problems.

Only thing I can offer is that I run a registry cleaner every night using Windows Scheduler. It cleans the registry (duh) and creates a restore point. Been doing this and defragging nightly for three years on this pc and it still runs like it did when I first loaded WinXP. Occasionally I load a program and something weird starts happening or things don't work quite like they did before. I run the reg cleaner manually to see if that helps, if it doesn't I use WinXP system restore to go back a day or two. If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall and then reinstall. I'm thinking one of those two things (regcleaner or system restore) might have fixed your initial problem. FWIW, I use Ace Utilities for a regcleaner. I don't make a living working on pc's but have a couple co-workers who do. You'd be amazed how often those guys, as sharp as they are, fall back to solutions like rebooting, starting/stopping, or reinstalling.

Bulldawg76

will a CD fit in a skeet thrower? might have to use that kind that throws the rabbit targets on the ground so you'll have a good sight picture......

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Sorry to here of

your PS fustrations Jason, but glad you got it reloaded, I always have my PS cd's delivered rather than download PS from on line for that very reason...

I've had very few issues with mine and the few times mine has gotten off it was something that I had done:biggrin2:

BTW what is a "camera raw plug" :confused:

jason308

Leo, when I bought Elements 5 I was sure (and I believe the box said it too) that it supported the Nikon D80 NEF RAW files.....Well, it didn't and I had to download a "plug in" so that it would recognize and open my NEF files from the camera.....

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
OK, now

Leo, when I bought Elements 5 I was sure (and I believe the box said it too) that it supported the Nikon D80 NEF RAW files.....Well, it didn't and I had to download a "plug in" so that it would recognize and open my NEF files from the camera.....

I get it:) My PSE 5 didn't support RAW with my P and S SP550, there was a down load that required file manipulation from Adobe to correct it but I wasn't sure I could do it with out screwing up, so I just bought PSE 6 when I found a good deal.
I also wanted the dark background in PSE 6 Editor, because of my old eyes. :D