I want a DSLR!

W

wild_linesides

After seeing all of y'alls great pictures using a DSLR, I want one!! I have a 35mm with interchangable lenses, and a cheapie Fuji digital zoom camera, but its gettin' 'bout time to step up to a DSLR. Good thing is, I already have a few lenses I could use on the DSLR, but I am trying to decide on what make I want (within my budget).
Hats off to all y'all's photography! I really enjoy looking at everyone elses photography! Keep 'em comming!

Smokey

After seeing all of y'alls great pictures using a DSLR, I want one!! I have a 35mm with interchangable lenses, and a cheapie Fuji digital zoom camera, but its gettin' 'bout time to step up to a DSLR. Good thing is, I already have a few lenses I could use on the DSLR, but I am trying to decide on what make I want (within my budget).
Hats off to all y'all's photography! I really enjoy looking at everyone elses photography! Keep 'em comming!

I'm with ya. My birthday is at the end of the month and I've put a request in. I dont think I can ever be as good as the guys but they have sure put a fire in me to try my hand at photography.

rip18

Bad news..... if the photo bug bit you real bad, you'll end up wanting ANOTHER body...MORE lenses....etc.

Shoot, I've seen some of the stuff y'all have shared with your point-n-shoots. Y'all keep 'em coming!

jason308

Yeah...like Rip said we've seen some great stuff with your point and shoot.....But if you do get into it, like Rip said-it will NEVER stop......Its worse than waterfowling.....:hair:

Razorback

Which lenses do you have?
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta etc.
Are the lenses special enough, have the right features or good enough quality to keep on using on your future DSLR?

Timing is good right now;
Canon has new cameras out now 40D, 1DMkIII & 1DSMkIII & the 5D has just been reduced $500 plus cool deals w/ the Canon 9000 &9500 printers.
Nikon has announced the D300 & D3. D300 should be out later this month & D3 this time next month.
Fuji's S5 Pro has just been reduced $200.
Sony is going to or has announced a new Alpha DSLR-using the Minolta lens mount.
Not sure about Pentax or other DSLRs.

Check out www.dpreview.com for good reviews on DSLRs. DP also has a cool camera comparison & feature search.

The thing is you don't have to buy the latest & greatest to get good shoots just learn the camera & learn how to get the most out of it~its not the tool its the user of the tool.

Razor

biggtruxx

if i wanted a reasonably priced digital camera with great results what would i buy guy's...... i have always wanted to have a nice camera instead of the cheap ole digicam i have lol....... whats the best out there say in the range of 300 to 500 bucks?

Razorback

Nikon's D40x Or Canon's Rebel Xti are booth good choices. The D40x is about to drop in price if it hasn't happened yet.

Razor

Hoss

Bout everyone Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax (not sure if Sony gets as low on the entry level DSLRs) have something in the $500 dollar range. Anyone interested in moving to one of those should spend some time looking at reviews. http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is also a good site and has forums for brands. They all have their good points and the choice is tough. I'd also suggest doing some on line shopping to get some idea of prices and then I'd go to some local camera stores and actually handle the cameras. Sometimes the difference can be as simple as liking the feel of one better than the other. If in your search, you have questions about specific cameras, ask away. We've got a good cross section of cameras being used on here.
As has been mentioned also, don't count out the point and shoots. There are some great ones out there and we've got the photos on here to show that folks get great pictures out of em.

Hoss

biggtruxx

thanks for the input may go shoppin this weekend :)

Ihunt

Just bought my wife a Pentax K20 with 2 lenses.She loves it and it takes great pictures.14.2 megapixal.Pricey but worth it.We have a three year old and I am sure in 15 years I will not remember the price of the camera but I will have tons of great pictures.

atljohnfe

I have been shooting wildlife with the Nikon D80. As you know your best opportunity will be at dawn or dusk when the light is low. It is best to use a fast lens in the f2.8 range. I have an older Nikor 80-200 f2.8 for low light. It is heavy glass and more bulky, but will allow you to shoot in lower light. When you crank up the ISO on most digital cameras to allow for lower light, you will get noise (looks like grainy snow all over the photo). A wider faster lens lets in more light and allows you to shoot in lower light without cranking up the ISO. If you wanted to go big on the carmera, look into the Nikon D700. It has the same technology as the more expensive D5 but cost about $2k less. You can crank up the ISO on those cameras without the same noise problem. The key for low light will be the fast lens first and then the camera technology.

cre8foru

Go get it. I few years ago DSLRs were ridiculously priced for your average consumer. Now there are some good ones that are not that bad. Like others said though. Once you get the camera there is always something else you need so be ready for that.

Capt Gary

It's never ending.....I thought the gun bug was bad. Photo equipment might be even worse.

Hold on to your hat and have fun.

Nikon D80

I had a Canon Digital Rebel for a few years.
I now have a Nikon D80 and prefer it in everyway.
I've been involved in photography for 35yrs as a professional photographer and printer.
The Nikon has a very solid build quality, larger/brighter viewfinder and much better menus. Be sure to order the Magic Lantern guide for the D80 to get the most out of it:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_1...lantern+nikon+d80&sprefix=magic+lantern+nikon
I buy all my stuff at www.amazon.com or www.bhphoto.com
Be sure to always add an inexpensive UV filter over the lens to protect it from scratches. Its better to replace a cheap filter than an expensive lens.

Nikon-D80-large.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

key2hwy

Nikon

One thing to remember about the Nikon D40 and D60 is that they won't accept the older Nikkor lenses, like the 80-200 posted about earlier. Some of these older lenses can be had very reasonably, and are top notch. You need a D80 or above to take the entire line of Nikkors from all the way back.

pdsniper

You better watch out photography is adictive,My first digital was an olympus 4040 and my first DSLR was a Nikon D 100 now I shoot a Nikon D3 and I won't even go into how much I have sunk into lenses and other goody's to go along with every thing else

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
10-16-2007, 10:51 PM
wild_linesides

I want a DSLR!

WOW some one dug deep for this one, but still some good info and advice:bounce: