I want a new chainsaw

Artfuldodger

I don't think Stihl has big box store versions. I've only seen them at Ace Hardware and Northern Tool. I think they are the same models as the ones in mom and pop dealerships.

earlthegoat2

I love 24 series Stihls. I Have an 024 Super that is still running strong. Made in West Germany.

Right now they may still have the MS241 MTronic saw. It is a light and handy but small rear handle saw. 16” bar.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Was in Sam's Club a couple weeks ago, and they had a Sun Joe battery-powered pole saw for $60. Bought it, and have used it and it cuts really well and I was impressed with the battery life I got out of a single charge.

Only problem was it came with only one battery. I went onto the Sun Joe website, and a second battery was the same price I paid for the saw, but they had a special that for another $25, I could get a 10-inch chainsaw that came with 2 batteries.

It arrived yesterday, so haven't cut with it, yet, but if it's anything like the pole saw, it'll do great for general trimming (deer stand clearing, etc.). So I'm in for $160, and have a pole saw, chainsaw and three batteries.

treemanjohn

Banned
Stihl are not what they use to be. Their high end saws and older stuff are stihl quality, but everything else is junk

The benefit of electric come on when you but multiple tools. Buy a saw and 2 batteries they buy the tool only. I have the husqvarna pole saw and brush cutter/ trimmer for around the house and they're animals

DannyW

Any of the small Stihls or Huskys are good, as long as they're the dealership ones and not the big box versions. As for electric, I've always hated and mistrusted electric equipment, but Stihl has come out with some good-quality electric stuff in the last year or two. They're proud of it, but it works well. I'm becoming a convert.

You sound like me. I was an early convert to battery operated tools but found the tools expensive and the batteries even more expensive. Plus the batteries would only last a few months. I quit using them.

Fast forward 30 years and about three years ago I started buying DeWalt 18v hand tools. I am amazed how much battery technology has changed. They hold a long charge with plenty of torque and are good for 300-500 charge cycles...which for me is probably my lifetime.

I have a Stihl 440 also but my next saw will probably be a battery powered Stihl or Husky. I would not hesitate at all getting one for light/medium use.

Baroque Brass

I’ve had a Stihl MS 250 for a long time and it’s done a great job. It’s not very heavy and with a sharp chain will eat through stuff quickly.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I bought a Ryobi 40v about a week ago. Haven’t had time to use it —bought it for small yard jobs—but I’ve heard a lot of good things about them.
For heavier work we have a jonsered saw and I like it but it can be aggravating to start.

tad1

I’ve had a Stihl MS 170 for several years and it’s a decent saw. I also bought a pole pruner attachment for my Stihl Kombi unit, That thing pleases me more and more each time I use it. I love being far away from the saw. Easily being able to trim stuff up close to the ground without kneeling or bending. Limbing up trees, even felling fairly sizable trees with it. I reach for it much more than the ms170. The battery operated saws are very intriguing as well. The stihl costs your first born son. Project farm on YouTube did a pretty good review on several different battery models, and the echo performed really well. The DeWalt also looked pretty awesome particularly if you own several DeWalt tools that take their batteries.

jcbcpa

https://egopowerplus.com/?gclid=Cjw...cq6tK_XTtt6mLgkxWghoCJmYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We recently sold our house and 2 acres and downsized to a more manageable lawn and landscape. I have since gotten rid of all my gas powered tools and bout EGO battery powered tools. I have the chain saw, weed eater, blower and self propelled push mower. They have all performed past my expectations and the same 56V battery fits all of them.
The battery on the lawn mower last about an hour which is not quite the time needed to mow my lawn. It's all really well made.

Artfuldodger

https://egopowerplus.com/?gclid=Cjw...cq6tK_XTtt6mLgkxWghoCJmYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We recently sold our house and 2 acres and downsized to a more manageable lawn and landscape. I have since gotten rid of all my gas powered tools and bout EGO battery powered tools. I have the chain saw, weed eater, blower and self propelled push mower. They have all performed past my expectations and the same 56V battery fits all of them.
The battery on the lawn mower last about an hour which is not quite the time needed to mow my lawn. It's all really well made.
"Ego" is the brand I most see compared to Stihl and Milwaukee in the cordless outdoor power tools. All three now make push mowers.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve had great luck with my poulan 20” and it will probably outlast me. But I’d buy a battery powered one next though. I’m about to get a leave blower and it will be battery operated. We have a battery powere Ryobl blower at work and it’s pretty awesome! I think todays equipment is a lot better than it was 5-10 years ago.

hipster dufus

Heres an idea, reciprocating battery powered saw w a tree blade. I use my corded n my cordless way more often then a chainsaw. Can probably cut 90% of what u need. I pondered buying a new chainsaw n said to self, just get some different blades.

Tight Lines

Have you looked at battery operated? I know they sound whimpy but I love mine for light duty use like you describe. I bought a Stihl because I already had batteries but everybody making them now. Light, quiet, push a button to crank and let go to shut off. With a sharp blade I'd put it up against a small gas on anything. Always carry in my truck, just in case....

STIHL Battery-Powered Chainsaws | Authorized Local STIHL Dealer
I have to agree with this. I have 2 gas powered but for setting up stands and trimming trees, one of my hunting partners has battery powered and it is the way to go IMHO. That's what I will get next...way easier and more ergonomic to operate...

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
"Ego" is the brand I most see compared to Stihl and Milwaukee in the cordless outdoor power tools. All three now make push mowers.
Between my son and I we each own two Ego blowers and weed eaters. He bought the mower and I bought the chain saw. His yard is like a golf course and he loves the mower (near silent) I am really impressed with the chainsaw and it is very nice to be able hear while cutting. The mower comes with super sized batteries that fit all the other tools, just slightly bigger

GunnSmokeer

I've had a Homelite 45cc saw for 17 years now.
The anti-kickback guard broke the first year of use. I taped it down to keep it from coming on.
Later it broke worse, and I had to remove it entirely, and the steel band that would put friction on the sprocket to stop the chain.

The throttle idle screws needed more adjustment than the plastic limiters would allow, so broke them off and adjusted it the way it needed.

And this year I put new fuel lines and a primer bulb in it-- the original ones cracked after 16years of age.

I've probably cut down 50 trees over the last 15 years wit this, and chopped most of them into firewood-length sections.

Other than the work described above, it's not needed any other repairs. I have 3 chains for it. I've changed the spark plug once and cleaned the spark plug several times. Changed the air filter once and cleaned it several times.

It's light.

It's pretty good about starting when I have fresh (less than a year old) fuel in it, and when I remember to prime it and set the choke if it's cold.

It only cost about $140, back in 2005 or so.

GunnSmokeer

That being said, I'm ready to buy a 40 volt electric saw, a battery powered one.
My brother and nephew both have them, and I've used them. They're great.
Love how quiet they are, and how you can just set them down, use your hands to do other tasks, and instantly pick them back up and return to cutting. No need to mess with ear plugs or muffs.

I don't think the battery life is great, BUT if you have 2 or 3 batteries, that should be enough. If you need to do more cutting than you can handle with 2 fully changed battery packs, it's probably time to get the gas saw out.