I want to try a crossbow - I have a question

shdw633

Depending on the model they can go out farther than that for a clean kill. I have mine set up to be able to reach out 60 yards consistently, but most of my set ups only have 30 to 35 yard shot possibilities, with the exception of when I hunt Illinois, which can have the potential for those longer 60 yard shot possibilities.

280 Man

Banned
I’m new to this so I have a question. With a lot of practice is 25 to 30 yards too far to make a clean kill?

Heck no! Today's crossbows are capable of a lot more but just like everything one must know their limitations with whatever they use!

I've been crossbow hunting for several years. I practice out to 50-60 yds but have never taken a shot past 40..

My advice would be go somewhere that sells crossbows that will also let you shoot them. Don't try to make a crossbow fit you, find the one that you fit! You will be happier and have a better experience.

Buy quality arrows as well and not those dollar, two ninety eight tomato sticks that are prevalent in crossbow arrows! You crossbow is only as good as your arrows.

Get in touch with Jerry at Tapp-nation.com. 813 545 0754 This guy builds some of the VERY BEST arrows you will ever use! I have used his arrows exclusively for 6-7 years.

Good luck!!

transfixer

Many of the entry level crossbows are capable of some pretty amazing accuracy, especially when used with quality bolts and a decent scope, at 30yds I have to shoot at different spots on the target, if I didn't I end up stacking the bolts and ruining them.

Jim Boyd

If you want to crossbow hunt, my advice is buy once and cry once.

Nothing worse than substandard equipment taking the joy out of anything.

Now that was not your question.

30 yards is easy as long as you can execute. 35 would be my high water mark unless the conditions were perfect.

I routinely practice to 60 but something about fur and antlers will flat unnerve some folks.

I am old and afraid of heights / so I might be 20-25’ up but i shoot all my deer sitting down in the stand.

I am shooting 100 grain head at 380 FPS and get about 90% pass through.

Most of my deer are taken in Illinois and the average weights are 220-230.

What you want is very doable.

Best of luck, sir.

Taco4x4

All good advice above. One thing no one mentioned was a Range finder. This is a must when shooting archery equipment. You must know when you put the crosshair on a deer exactly where he is standing. You cant guess it is 20 yards when in fact it was 25 or even 30 yards. You might miss or even worse end up hitting the deer and never finding it. I don't mean range the deer before the shot because to much can go wrong doing that. What I do when I set in a new spot is get set up and then get my range finder and start ranging every tree and stump and bush that I can and try to remember this yardage. I do this every time I set there till I have it all memorized. When that buck of a lifetime does show up it is nice to know exactly where you need to hold on him. Good luck and have fun with it.

Jim Boyd

All good advice above. One thing no one mentioned was a Range finder. This is a must when shooting archery equipment. You must know when you put the crosshair on a deer exactly where he is standing. You cant guess it is 20 yards when in fact it was 25 or even 30 yards. You might miss or even worse end up hitting the deer and never finding it. I don't mean range the deer before the shot because to much can go wrong doing that. What I do when I set in a new spot is get set up and then get my range finder and start ranging every tree and stump and bush that I can and try to remember this yardage. I do this every time I set there till I have it all memorized. When that buck of a lifetime does show up it is nice to know exactly where you need to hold on him. Good luck and have fun with it.

Very, very well said.

rutnbuk

Good feedback you have received. I would only add lighted nocks are almost a must with a crossbow in my opinion. With my compound I can almost always tell right where my arrow hit the animal. With a crossbow- different story. First one I ever shot with a crossbow I had no idea where/if I hit the deer. Luckily the shot was true and it went only a short distance. Finding the bolt after a shot without a lighted nock is almost impossible especially if you are hunting from a ground blind. Good luck- it adds a different and fun new element to hunting.

pop pop jones

If you were to shoot at a deer with a 70 pound pull compound bow, would you feel good about taking the shot?
The cross bow would be close to twice as strong and fast.

bilgerat

Senior
I practice out to 50 yards,but limiting My shots at game to 40 or less, My xbow is a entry level barnett that shoots 300 fps

Stevie Ray

I practice with my crossbow out to 50 and 60 yards but also limit myself to shooting game at 40 yards and as Taco4x4 stated above, a good range finder is a must as well are good bolts.