If a virus killed your daughter but not you, could you witness on the power of prayer?

Artfuldodger

If both of y'all were near death in the same hospital. I think I could witness and perhaps be like Job and share the Power of God. That I really don't know why God saved me and not her.

I'm not sure I could witness to the power of prayer though in that instance. If it was just me afflicted and not my daughter, sure I could witness to the power of prayer. That through prayer God brought me back from the near death of the virus.

Artfuldodger

Somewhat related is that God not only allowed Satan to kill Job's children he ordained it in the sense that he told Satan he could do anything to Job except kill him.
At some point God had to remove His hedge of protection that we hear so much about these days.

Artfuldodger

Even if it was just me that survived in a hospital that took the lives of 10 of my Church members, I don't think I could go back to that Church and preach about the power of prayer. Seems sorta prideful even if that wasn't my intent. Again, I would have to return and say "at the present time, we don't fully see like we will one day." "That God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy and that's not based on my works but on His grace."

Artfuldodger

Which reminds me that salvation and/or mercy can be now as in physical salvation and mercy and it is also spiritual salvation and mercy.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
why is it that we don't think God answered our prayers unless we get the answer we want?

How did we get to the point that we think we know best, and that God has to do what we want even if it goes against His plan for the people involved.

It all boils down to a trust issue for me. Either I trust God to know, will, and do the things that are good for me OR I don't trust Him. It totally is a faith issue. The faith to KNOW that God is going to do what He promises.

All things work together for good who love God, who are the called according to His purpose.

If we truly, truly believe this, then why would we have any issue with the answer God gives us to our prayer

Artfuldodger

why is it that we don't think God answered our prayers unless we get the answer we want?

How did we get to the point that we think we know best, and that God has to do what we want even if it goes against His plan for the people involved.

It all boils down to a trust issue for me. Either I trust God to know, will, and do the things that are good for me OR I don't trust Him. It totally is a faith issue. The faith to KNOW that God is going to do what He promises.

All things work together for good who love God, who are the called according to His purpose.

If we truly, truly believe this, then why would we have any issue with the answer God gives us to our prayer
Good answer!

Artfuldodger

I really wasn't looking for another free will vs predestination thread, we got a couple of them going already.

This one was more on the power of God and how we limit that power. God is all powerful and omnipotent. I don't really think any of us can make him out to be just using foreknowledge or just predestination or just causing or allowing or ordaining or just free will or just prayer.

God is more powerful than just prayer or foreknowledge. He isn't limited by His foreknowledge in making His decisions.

I think we are all guilty of putting God in a box.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
God = all knowing, all powerful, creator of the universe that has a plan that stretches thru eternity.

Me = dumb, stupid, can find my tail with both hands sometimes, and sure don't have any idea what will happen tomorrow, the next day or next week

But I want to tell God how He has to behave.

Makes no sense to this fat old man

Madman

If both of y'all were near death in the same hospital. I think I could witness and perhaps be like Job and share the Power of God. That I really don't know why God saved me and not her.

I'm not sure I could witness to the power of prayer though in that instance. If it was just me afflicted and not my daughter, sure I could witness to the power of prayer. That through prayer God brought me back from the near death of the virus.
I believe we must first learn what prayer should do in our lives and for our souls.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I really wasn't looking for another free will vs predestination thread, we got a couple of them going already.

This one was more on the power of God and how we limit that power. God is all powerful and omnipotent. I don't really think any of us can make him out to be just using foreknowledge or just predestination or just causing or allowing or ordaining or just free will or just prayer.

God is more powerful than just prayer or foreknowledge. He isn't limited by His foreknowledge in making His decisions.

I think we are all guilty of putting God in a box.
This one was more on the power of God and how we limit that power. God is all powerful and omnipotent

I know I’m slow but I’m a little confused - your point was this “don't know why God saved me and not her.”

Not knowing, not understanding, isn’t the same as telling God how He should have answered.

To answer your question, yes I could still witness to the power of prayer while not understanding what’s already been answered, or what I think was “unanswered”.

Artfuldodger

I know I’m slow but I’m a little confused - your point was this “don't know why God saved me and not her.”

Not knowing, not understanding, isn’t the same as telling God how He should have answered.

To answer your question, yes I could still witness to the power of prayer while not understanding what’s already been answered, or what I think was “unanswered”.
Maybe if it was just my own daughter. If it was 5 other ladies in our Church, I might would run it by them first before I preached why God saved me and not their mamas.

Artfuldodger

I have been following this one guy who almost died from a virus, His wife was called in 5 times as he neared death. Something like over 60 days in the hospital. His wife posted that our prayers saved his life. That God listened.

Now through either God's will or the power of prayer he is home and other churches are asking for his testimony. A few other ladies within this same Church's denomination (Holiness) have died within this community.
If this was you would your approach be more on the power of prayer or God's power and divine intervention? I'm not talking about not mentioning the power of prayer but would that be the main focus of your testimony?
Maybe preach it from a multi-level approach starting with God's power and God's will. That we don't really know or understand why He saves some and not the others.

It would just seem prideful to me if I went to all these other Churches and say "Thanks to y'all prayers God saved me but not your loved ones."
But if they have the same faith as he does, then they would understand why God saved him with their prayers and not their mamas.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Maybe if it was just my own daughter. If it was 5 other ladies in our Church, I might would run it by them first before I preached why God saved me and not their mamas.
I might would run it by them first before I preached why God saved me and not their mamas.
Could be a touchy situation for sure, and it really happens the way you describe. But, I don’t know if you can answer that ^^^^

Testify and move on - only God can open up the understanding. No different than preaching, I would imagine.

I can see this side, but when I read your OP I was thinking if I didn’t understand myself that I was raised up, my daughter wasn’t - could I still witness.

My answer is still yes. Could I be a convincing witness? Depends

Artfuldodger

Could be a touchy situation for sure, and it really happens the way you describe. But, I don’t know if you can answer that ^^^^

Testify and move on - only God can open up the understanding. No different than preaching, I would imagine.

I can see this side, but when I read your OP I was thinking if I didn’t understand myself that I was raised up, my daughter wasn’t - could I still witness.

My answer is still yes. Could I be a convincing witness? Depends

Yes for sure, I'd still witness, preach, and teach. I'd still pray.
In this same community this preacher we know was in the hospital as his daughter. He survived and his grown daughter didn't. The preacher was an 80 year old overweight man. Now I didn't hear any of his sermon right after his daughter died but I did hear him preach and pray later own. He didn't loose his faith or question God in sermon.

Artfuldodger

God never allows an evil unless there is a greater good.

Dear Lord, show me the good.
Is a virus really an "evil?" Was it created by God? I'm assuming that the predecessor of present day viruses were on the Ark.

I wonder if maybe God just got the ball rolling on a lot of things like the possibility of virus mutations and hurricanes,etc. Maybe God allows but doesn't "control" how viruses mutate or the path of hurricanes.

Not that hurricanes are evil either, just a process of God's creation. Which makes me wonder; if God doesn't control such things and only allows it, why would he intervene in things that happen by happenstance?

Madman

Is a virus really an "evil?" Was it created by God? I'm assuming that the predecessor of present day viruses were on the Ark.

I wonder if maybe God just got the ball rolling on a lot of things like the possibility of virus mutations and hurricanes,etc. Maybe God allows but doesn't "control" how viruses mutate or the path of hurricanes.

Not that hurricanes are evil either, just a process of God's creation. Which makes me wonder; if God doesn't control such things and only allows it, why would he intervene in things that happen by happenstance?

Madman

Were viruses and hurricanes part of the original design or because of the fall. The things God permit a does he in some way not ordain?

As a believer in the Judeo-Christian God, I know he is good.

What good can come from what evil he allows?

Last edited:
Absolutely, because I surrendered my daughter to God's will the moment God blessed me with her. She was never mine to start with.
I won't lie and say I won't feel the loss or deep pain but I know ultimately my life and the life of those I love are His for His purpose and Glory.

Madman

And ultimately I believe as King David,

“But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.”
2 Sam. 12:23