If a virus killed your daughter but not you, could you witness on the power of prayer?

kmh1031

This was the comment earlier…
“I would guess that people and civilization then was actually a hundred times more violent and brutal than it is now.”

And that was what I was addressing.. more violent and destructive weapons to kill today and millions more died in these wars.
more brutal and violent then than now? No… doubtful a bomb kills thousands…. Machine gun kills hundreds and more… swords?

kmh1031

One sword kills 20-30-
A bomb?
Man has increasingly gotten more violent and created weapons to equal it.
No getting around this.
2Tim 3:1-5

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
One sword kills 20-30-
A bomb?
No getting around this.
You probably noticed that as warfare advanced so did tactics and weapons. Nobody lines up 20,000 men across from each other anymore because weapons have advanced to eliminate the need for sheer numbers.
But at the time the weapons of 2000+ years ago were as advanced and as good as the tactics called for. When 30,000 swords were bested by 30,000 arrows then someone thought of a way to lob flaming tar balls a quarter mile away.
Not a doubt that man is the absolute best at finding more effective ways to kill other men. But if you are stuck on 20,000 men dying in battle by being hacked to death is any less horrendous than a drone sending a missile through a window you are overlooking the necessary tactics of the time.
Machine guns changed war. No modern commander is sending thousands of men lined up shoulder to shoulder across an open field in modern battle.

Artfuldodger

One sword kills 20-30-
A bomb?
No getting around this.
Timothy was experiencing the last days himself. Paul warned Timothy to stay away from those types mentioned in this passage of last days.

2 Timothy 3:9
But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

I'm not doubting there may be terrible days during the end times but that's not what this passage is about.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
After tragedy, could I witness on the power of prayer? Yes, it's not easy but I could and I have and I'll always try to.
From 1994 to 2001, ages 23 to 30, I experienced the worst period of my life during the time that should have been the best years of my life. I lost much of my family, suffered one failure after another at work, had failed relationships, and had many crisis's of faith. At one point, I was only a paycheck or two from being homeless. The conversations I had with the Lord were not always pleasant during that time. I had a lot of anger in me about nearly everything and had completely lost confidence in myself. I felt snakebit and thought that anything that I touched or got involved with was doomed to failure, because it had been for so long. I couldn't go home because there was no home left to go to. There was no place left to go. Despite all of that, I kept praying, not always respectfully, not always humbly, sometimes angrily, but I kept praying. Finally, things started changing, and they started changing fast. New relationships, new friends, new job, lots of success, and my confidence returned and I've never looked back. Prayer got me through those hard times, plain and simple.

kmh1031

That scripture highlights conditions in last days of people
Luke and Matt highlight wars and other items

ky55

After tragedy, could I witness on the power of prayer? Yes, it's not easy but I could and I have and I'll always try to.
From 1994 to 2001, ages 23 to 30, I experienced the worst period of my life during the time that should have been the best years of my life. I lost much of my family, suffered one failure after another at work, had failed relationships, and had many crisis's of faith. At one point, I was only a paycheck or two from being homeless. The conversations I had with the Lord were not always pleasant during that time. I had a lot of anger in me about nearly everything and had completely lost confidence in myself. I felt snakebit and thought that anything that I touched or got involved with was doomed to failure, because it had been for so long. I couldn't go home because there was no home left to go to. There was no place left to go. Despite all of that, I kept praying, not always respectfully, not always humbly, sometimes angrily, but I kept praying. Finally, things started changing, and they started changing fast. New relationships, new friends, new job, lots of success, and my confidence returned and I've never looked back. Prayer got me through those hard times, plain and simple.

That’s a great story, and I’m glad it worked out well for you.
Did you sit flat on your butt for those 7 years and wait for a higher power to answer your prayers and change your situation for the better?
Did you do nothing for yourself to change your situation…..for 7 years?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
That’s a great story, and I’m glad it worked out well for you.
Did you sit flat on your butt for those 7 years and wait for a higher power to answer your prayers and change your situation for the better?
Did you do nothing for yourself to change your situation…..for 7 years?
There wasn't anything I was doing or not doing that caused my misfortune. It was just a perfect storm in my life of a flood, cancer in my family, brain aneurysm in my family, other deaths in my family, a good job gone bad, some bad coworkers, some bad relationships, and a bad financial situation after dealing with all these misfortunes that often had costs that I had to address. Was I sitting on my butt? No, I was trying to live my life as best as I could under the circumstances. Was I waiting on a higher power to answer my prayers? Yes, I was, but I knew that meant I had to do my part as well and work towards a better life too.

ky55

There wasn't anything I was doing or not doing that caused my misfortune. It was just a perfect storm in my life of a flood, cancer in my family, brain aneurysm in my family, other deaths in my family, a good job gone bad, some bad coworkers, some bad relationships, and a bad financial situation after dealing with all these misfortunes that often had costs that I had to address. Was I sitting on my butt? No, I was trying to live my life as best as I could under the circumstances. Was I waiting on a higher power to answer my prayers? Yes, I was, but I knew that meant I had to do my part as well and work towards a better life too.
Was I sitting on my butt? No, I was trying to live my life as best as I could under the circumstances. Was I waiting on a higher power to answer my prayers? Yes, I was, but I knew that meant I had to do my part as well and work towards a better life too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
None at my house either…. Check the origin (crucifix, cross) of it.

More violent then than now?? check the world wars, nuclear weapons, much more…. Ethnic cleansing and more… how many died in these?
And yes false religion has been the cause of many a death u are correct on that
Revelation calls them (Babylon the great) the “killer of the prophets” meaning the world of false religion
Better weapons doesn't equal a more savage populace. We don't live in a constant state of warfare now like folks did back in the day. We don't kill people of other races on sight. We don't have horrendous public executions. Vikings aren't raiding up and down the coastlines, and tribes of barbarians from the mainland interior. Opposing empires aren't wholesale bent on violently conquering the whole known world as a way of life. The average person nowadays has never killed someone or saw anyone killed, I doubt if that was the case back then.
Think back just two hundred years or less here in our country. War after war. Public duels over disagreements. Common massacres of whites by Indians and Indians by whites. You could and would be killed for setting foot in the wrong place. With no consequences for the killers. Pirates raiding the coasts, along with warships from several different nations. Walls around towns and cannons to defend them. Public hangings that folks took their kids out to see. Just a few examples, and that hasn't been that long ago. Nukes don't make us individually more brutal and violent at all. I would guess that right now is the least violent and brutal people have ever been, because we aren't having to fight for our lives and resources all the time.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

That was a terrible time during those years you mention. From about February 1996 till April-May 1997, most of that time is still a blank to me. So many things I don`t recall and I`m not sure I want to remember. I was so full of hate, anger, and confusion that I was a danger to myself and anybody around me. I was very lucky to have friends and what little family we have left that tried to steer me right, and to stay away from me when I went into a rage.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
That was a terrible time during those years you mention. From about February 1996 till April-May 1997, most of that time is still a blank to me. So many things I don`t recall and I`m not sure I want to remember. I was so full of hate, anger, and confusion that I was a danger to myself and anybody around me. I was very lucky to have friends and what little family we have left that tried to steer me right, and to stay away from me when I went into a rage.
Yes, I know about rage, hate, anger, and confusion. I went through it for 7 years until I finally overcame it, by the grace of God.

Last edited:

oldfella1962

I would guess that people and civilization then was actually a hundred times more violent and brutal than it is now.

yes, across the board most societies (and the world in general) gets less brutal and more civilized over time regardless of what religions they follow. That said at any time incredible politically and religiously motivated violence can flare up but secular societies are no better or worse than religious societies. There are many factors at play, and religion isn't always that big a factor.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
yes, across the board most societies (and the world in general) gets less brutal and more civilized over time regardless of what religions they follow. That said at any time incredible politically and religiously motivated violence can flare up but secular societies are no better or worse than religious societies. There are many factors at play, and religion isn't always that big a factor.
Yes, if religion had never even been thought of, humans would have found another reason to kill each other. There will always be competition over something from resources to political power. The two last people on the planet will argue over who's the boss.

7 point

As a deacon I pray over people with all kinds of medical issues and one thing to keep in mind is that going home with jesus is the ultimate healing.