If you flounder or sheepshead fish you need to try these..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Flounder are ambush predators. They stay hid till something comes by in range, then they strike. If you want to catch them regular, keep your bait moving, and close to the bottom. An old local taught me that over 50 years ago.
I learned that through trial and error. Mostly error. And a lot of not catching flounders until I figured it out.

turkeyman55

TRY TO PATTERN FLOUNDER GOOD LUCK I WILL BE 64 THIS YEAR STILL LUCK EVERY FLOUNDER I CAUGHT WAS ON SANDY BOTTOM NO ROCKS NO TREES NO LIMBS SALTWATER

Last edited:

M77 Ruger

TRY TO PATTERN FLOUNDER GOOD LUCK I WILL BE 64 THIS YEAR STILL LUCK EVERY FLOUNDER I CAUGHT WAS ON SANDY BOTTOM NO ROCKS NO TREES NO LIMBS SALTWATER

No question they like a sandy bottom. Where I fish around cumberland island and the inlands they like to be on those jettie rocks and oyster bars around the creek mouths. Docks are a go to a lot of times as well around here

Anvil Head

Never outdo fresh flounder belly strips on just about any jig head. They are cannibals and have landed several that never got a hook in them, just wouldn't let go.

Redbow

Bouncing a mullet minnow or mud minnow up and down off the bottom works well for the Flounder with an egg sinker about 18 inches above the hook. An old man at Georgetown SC showed me that many years ago..Those jigs would work also no doubt..I used to use a # 2 flounder hook for Sheepshead with fiddler crabs..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the flounder I've ever caught have been on Gulp Swimming mullet on a 1/4oz jighead, or mud minnows.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
1 of my old favorites is a "skinny water skimmer jig". Not sure if that brand is made anymore but theyre a flat jig with a weedless hook. Guy in islamorada coins it a bone fish jig. Use to pinch off the fan of a shrimp tail and hook em up. Catches a lot of flounder if you can keep the reds (and trash fish) off em. Work em like a bass worm, slow....caveat....may not work in Georgia :)

Last edited: