If you have a good horn, toot it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Photo of old cow horns family and I used in South Florida when hunting. Back when hard roads were few, and dirt roads even more scarce in the upper Everglades. When lost or need help, toot the horn, and someone would answer, and/or come to you.
Now for the brag, photo's of the neatest looking 8 I've killed in Ga so far. 21 1/2 inches wide.

Attachments

• Cow horns.jpg
    Cow horns.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Best Ga, Mayhaw Ga.jpg
    Best Ga, Mayhaw Ga.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 134
  • normaldeer.jpg
    normaldeer.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 132

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dropped this old buck at about 175 yards just before dark. It was 39 degrees, I was wearing sneakers and didn't know water was out there. And what a time getting him to camp, he weighed 250, has a third antler coming out above the right eye. Took a small tractor into the swamp. Three of us put him on the harrow, lifted the front of the tractor off the ground. Two of us held the tractor down so it could be steered to the truck.

Attachments

• 19237992_10207340002258059_1946237785289667052_o.jpg
    19237992_10207340002258059_1946237785289667052_o.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 51
  • antler2 .jpg
    antler2 .jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
This old buck took off running when I hit the grunt. He was in a thick and I grunted hoping to get him to come out in my direction. He wasn't falling for that and took off NW of my position. Dropped him at a full run at about 60 some yards. 9 point

Attachments

• 9pointrd3.JPG
    9pointrd3.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 42

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old one eye, First photo a trail camera got of him He had his right eye swollen shut. Two seasons later, I got him chasing a doe, his eye was alright. So, nobody can blame me for shooting him on his bad side. Old one eye left my sight, and actually fell in front of one of my trail cameras.

Attachments

• A299.jpg
    A299.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 34
  • one eye.jpg
    one eye.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Eyedown1.JPG
    Eyedown1.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Eye infrntofcamera.JPG
    Eye infrntofcamera.JPG
    499.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Eyecheckhim out.JPG
    Eyecheckhim out.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 35

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tried to get this old buck with a bow for three years, never had him close enough. And if you grunted or rattled, he would go the other way. During a gun season, two guys jumped him and another big buck and they ran a good distance before getting to where I was up a tree. Dropped him as he ran by at about 60 yards or so. 203 pounds. I put him on the wall. I do my own taxidermy, began learning the art/trade during the mid 1950's.

Attachments

• duck pond.jpg
    duck pond.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 33
  • mounts.jpg
    mounts.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 32

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
2020 season, killed this old buck the last weekend Jan 2021. He was so old his leg joints looked like arthritis, and his teeth were worn to the gum. The unusual rack was 24 inches wide, the widest I've killed so far. He was worn down from rutting, and nobody ever had him on a camera.

Attachments

• pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 37
  • pipe4.jpg
    pipe4.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 38

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
This Ga buck was my third piebald buck. Now I'm after another, but he isn't playing fair.

Attachments

• A319.jpg
    A319.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 29

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Been showing Ga bucks. Here is my best Alabama buck. Took me three years to get a shot at him.

Attachments

• Best Alabama buck 1983.jpg
    Best Alabama buck 1983.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 42
  • best Bama buck.jpg
    best Bama buck.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 41

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't mind somebody bragging if they can back up what they are bragging about. You have killed some very nice deer! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I always enjoy your posts!
Thanks, Ive enjoyed many seasons.

wvdawg

Staff member
Lots of great memories there! Awesome!

Hillbilly stalker

Them's some super nice deer ! The old Fox hunters back home used to call their dogs in with a hunting horn like that. You could hear it for miles rolling thru the hollers. They were mostly wore out coon hunter who couldn't pull the hills anymore but still enjoyed hearing a pack run, long before tracking or training collars. Thanks for sharing the pictures, you've had some great hunts.(y)