If you're not already a TBG member.....

Al33

The original intent of TBG, according to the bylaws, was defined as a traditional bow "hunting" organization. As I understand it, the associate membership for the first year of membership was put in place to establish/confirm that a member was serious about the organization and it's intents and purposes. After one year (or was in two?) he could apply for full/regular membership if another regular member would sponsor him or her. I had to do just that many years ago and I believe it serves a good purpose. If the associate membership status is removed from the bylaws (may have been done so already) I still think a new member should have to be a member for at least one year before being eligible to vote in elections or on any other matters. I think this is good for the new member as well as TBG as it gives them time to get a feel for how things or done according to the bylaws and for other regular members who may want to serve as an elected officer. I love the TBG 3D shoots when I can make them but I recognize that first and foremost it IS a "hunting" organization.

Last edited:

Todd Cook

The original intent of TBG, according to the bylaws, was defined as a traditional bow "hunting" organization. As I understand it, the associate membership for the first year of membership was put in place to establish/confirm that a member was serious about the organization and it's intents and purposes. After one year (or was in two?) he could apply for full/regular membership if another regular member would sponsor him or her. I had to do just that many years ago and I believe it serves a good purpose. If the associate membership status is removed from the bylaws (may have been done so already) I still think a new member should have to be a member for at least one year before being eligible to vote in elections or on any other matters. I think this is good for the new member as well as TBG as it gives them time to get a feel for how things or done according to the bylaws and for other regular members who may want to serve as an elected officer. I love the TBG 3D shoots when I can make them but I recognize that first and foremost it IS a "hunting" organization.

The associate membership is still there Al. We batted it around and have tabled the discussion for now. Very well said sir!

Triple C

Got my associate member card in the mail about a month ago...for the 2nd time. Not sure what happened the 1st go around but don't recall receiving a renewal notice. Glad to support the organization.

Been spending a lot more time slinging arrows this summer at the farm. Pretty decent at 12 yds. Not so much beyond that distance.
Target practice.jpg

Barebowyer

Just my .02 in the event anyone wants to hear it....I am/was a member but I am sure my dues are past due(more on that in a minute). I have met some wonderful people with the TBG in the past few years, attended a couple of the hunts when I could, shared a few campfires, meals, etc and have had a great time. I think some type of renewal payment notice should be sent even if by email as a reminder, etc. I was paying my dues at the Banquet but my work schedule prevents me from attending most years. As mentioned earlier, Georgia is a big State so it is hard to have things conveniently located for everyone. Finally, I have debated on mentioning this or not but I am going to as it may benefit the future of the club. For the record, what I am about to mention HAS NOT been my personal experience. "I communicate with other trad archers around the state on a regular basis, share photographs, hunt stories, etc. I have heard from two different hunters that attended different TBG hunts and they stated they felt very, very unwelcomed there. I asked for specific details, etc but the best I got out of it was they felt the guys at the hunts were paired up in their own "clicks" if you will and not very open to helping an outsider get in the woods or around the fire. Once again, This has not been my experience with TBG. I understand we are all out there to kill animals when we hunt as well as many other reasons. I also understand that people do not wanna take any one to their "honey holes" etc as they probably will not be honey holes for much longer. I'm just saying I feel people feeling this way severely hinders membership, support, and growth opportunities."

Like I said, I wasn't there but I have heard this same thing from two different hunters that do not even know one another. If anything in the area of this has happened, I feel making the sacrifice of taking a man into the woods if you know the area a little would be a much better word to spread around concerning membership, support, and perception of the club. Even if that means sitting a different stand for the day.... Sorry for being long winded, just trying to help. I love y'all...be safe.

Todd Cook

Just my .02 in the event anyone wants to hear it....I am/was a member but I am sure my dues are past due(more on that in a minute). I have met some wonderful people with the TBG in the past few years, attended a couple of the hunts when I could, shared a few campfires, meals, etc and have had a great time. I think some type of renewal payment notice should be sent even if by email as a reminder, etc. I was paying my dues at the Banquet but my work schedule prevents me from attending most years. As mentioned earlier, Georgia is a big State so it is hard to have things conveniently located for everyone. Finally, I have debated on mentioning this or not but I am going to as it may benefit the future of the club. For the record, what I am about to mention HAS NOT been my personal experience. "I communicate with other trad archers around the state on a regular basis, share photographs, hunt stories, etc. I have heard from two different hunters that attended different TBG hunts and they stated they felt very, very unwelcomed there. I asked for specific details, etc but the best I got out of it was they felt the guys at the hunts were paired up in their own "clicks" if you will and not very open to helping an outsider get in the woods or around the fire. Once again, This has not been my experience with TBG. I understand we are all out there to kill animals when we hunt as well as many other reasons. I also understand that people do not wanna take any one to their "honey holes" etc as they probably will not be honey holes for much longer. I'm just saying I feel people feeling this way severely hinders membership, support, and growth opportunities."

Like I said, I wasn't there but I have heard this same thing from two different hunters that do not even know one another. If anything in the area of this has happened, I feel making the sacrifice of taking a man into the woods if you know the area a little would be a much better word to spread around concerning membership, support, and perception of the club. Even if that means sitting a different stand for the day.... Sorry for being long winded, just trying to help. I love y'all...be safe.

I appreciate your input Joe. I would always rather hear what people think.

As to the renewal- it's on the way. We changed the bylaws this past year to make everyones dues at the same time, Jan 1. We'll send out notifications in December.

As to the people feeling unwelcome at the hunts. I sure hate to hear that, but I honestly think it's the exception rather than the rule. No doubt some of us long time members get wrapped up in our own hunting more than we should at times. Some people make friends easier than others, and just blend easier. Sort of like any other club I guess. I will take note though, no doubt. The upcoming hunt at Piedmont( sept 20-22) looks as if we may have a good sized group.

Al33

I like to think most first timers at a TBG hunt are there for the camaraderie and learning from others about shooting styles and hunting techniques, not so much to be taken by the hand and put in a hot spot. I try to help newbee's and don't mind making a sacrifice, so to speak, to help them but they should know that a TBG hunt is for hunters wanting to kill something. There are no clicks that I'm aware of. Certainly there are guys who are close friends that just like hunting together and nothing clickish about it. I certainly understand we should perhaps be more sensitive to new hunters, not just for TBG's sake but for them as well, however, there will always be a few that have unreasonable expectations and when they are not met they are disappointed. True in all realms of life.