illegal hunting

Do you know anyone that killed an illegal deer in georgia in 2004?

• yes

Votes: 61 44.9%
  • no

Votes: 75 55.1%

• Total voters

Coastie

hunting 101 said:
all these illegally killed deer is really ticking me off. i would like to know your opinions on how to put some pressure on the state to increase the fines (or any other method) and hopefully try to get some respect back for the sport we enjoy year round.

The severity of the punishment is less effective than the assuredness of punishment. Those that know they are unlikely to be caught, no matter what the fine is if they are, will most likely continue to do illegal things. That said, every person here can help make a difference; Report every instance that you see or hear of illegal activity. Write to the DNR board with specific reccomendations for change that you believe will be beneficial. Attend the annual meetings of the DNR after the season is over, and again, be prepared with specific recommendations and your reasons for believing they will be helpful. Talk to your local representative to the legislature, most of them hold informal meetings several times a year so people can express their concerns on a wide ranging list of things that affect them. Write letters to the editor of local newspapers, as always, be polite and to the point, use facts rather than feelings about issues and be prepared to offer constructive advice or criticism on the issue. Don't depend on the County Ranger being able to attend to every instance of a violation, sometimes it is appropriate to take a problem to the Sheriff's office and in many cases it will get a faster response.

sgsjr

Banned
You can do all the above and nobody will care!!! Deer have been reduced in importance in GA. to the level of squirrells and field mice. The DNR state that poaching accounts for only a small, insignificant portion of the harvest so their numbers are rock solid. This poll sheds light on what I have seen and that being that there are as many taken illegally as legally so the harvest, population, and management numbers are severly flawed.

As I drive around the clubs in our area, I still see the same guys hunting at the end of the season who where there on opening day. Never in all my days has "john" not been hunting because he has already killed his 2 bucks and he dont shoot does.

This poll cannot possibly come as a shock.

Scout-N-Hunt

Yes. No longer hunting at that lease.

How2fish

While I voted NO....and I don't know of anyone by name...the night of opening of rifle season I heard 4 rifle shots in the middle of the night...so I know the slobby rascals are still around... :banginghe :banginghe

csgreen1

I know a guy that kills 20+ deer every year just so he can say he did :crazy: Dnr knows about him and others but they make now effort at all to catch them.I live in a county(chattooga) where anything goes and theres nobody to report it to anyway its always been that way up here.I can think of only 2 hunters that i know that dont break game laws up here.(Sad very Sad)

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Im "up here" too so now you know Three.

Walkie Takie

Why call dnr, too many deer anyway///////

:huh: most clubs that are ( brown it's down ) they are the ones still killing too many buck's and the small bucks also ///// it's who can kill the most , then give the deer to the local's or get someone in camp to take it ( newbi's ) or even leave the animal in the wood's to rot /////// I was in a club like this 18 years ago in Greene co on hwy 77
I 'am sure they have'nt changed ///// they got mad at me for complaining and then when I told them I was leaving they got really mad ( ask me how he was going to fill his club w/ me and friends leaving ) when I left I call local dnr guy and told him what was going on there, he goes by during bow season and they new he was watching , but that was all he every did . ( nothing ) ////????? w/t :huh: :rofl: :banginghe

Woody52

Killing 20 deer? NO punishment? :huh: Leaving them laying??? These comments are rediculous!!! Why even have a season? :huh: Heck let's go tonight fellas! The heck with waiting on September to get here (Just kidding). Some people.... :crazy:

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Know of a guy in our club last year who killed a 4 pointer and then shot a button head a couple of weeks after that. If I'm not mistaken one of the bucks you harvest has to be 4 or better on one side right?

PFDR1

Sgsjr

Yep! I am surprised, I know that there were people out there who don't play by the rules but I didn't realize that there were so many. :eek:

GeauxLSU

SouthPaw Draw said:
Know of a guy in our club last year who killed a 4 pointer and then shot a button head a couple of weeks after that. If I'm not mistaken one of the bucks you harvest has to be 4 or better on one side right?
Depends on county. Most counties are one buck anything and one buck 4 on a side or better. It most counties, he was legal.

bull0ne

Banned
SouthPaw Draw said:

If there was not visible bone above the hairline it counts as an anterless deer.

hunting 101

i am not at all surprised at the results. i have always thought that AT LEAST 50% of the deer taken in GA are illegal. i would really like to conduct this on a larger scale. and i'm gonna send a letter into the gon next month and see what we can get out of it. any thought/help on how to make more hunters and even the dnr aware that first of all the numbers are there and second that it happens WAY WAY WAY TOO OFTEN.

SouthPaw Draw

GeauxLSU said:
Depends on county. Most counties are one buck anything and one buck 4 on a side or better. It most counties, he was legal.

Per page 9 of the hunting regs uder Deer Hunting Regulations:

SEASON LIMIT is 10 anterless deer and 2 antlered deer. One of the two antlered deer must have a minimum of 4 points, 1 inch or longer, on one side of the antlers except in counties with special antler restrictions.

By reading this I assume one deer must be 4 or better. The button that the guy in our club killed DID have visible bone.

Branchminnow

SouthPaw Draw said:

SEASON LIMIT is 10 anterless deer and 2 antlered deer. One of the two antlered deer must have a minimum of 4 points, 1 inch or longer, on one side of the antlers except in counties with special antler restrictions.

By reading this I assume one deer must be 4 or better. The button that the guy in our club killed DID have visible bone.
Then it wasnt a button head was it? I was always taught that a button head had just that you had to dig around in the hair on top of the head to find bone.

If it had visible bone then it was a spike.

And maybe it doesnt matter what you call it either way it was illegal.

SouthPaw Draw

You're right, it would actually be considered a spike, although on our club kill record chart he listed it as a buttonhead. I never seen the deer myself but from 2 other guys there at the time- both said bone was visible. So IMO it was an illegal harvest.

GeauxLSU

SouthPaw Draw said:

Sorry I didn't read your post right. When you said he shot a 4 pointer, in my mind I read 4 pointer on one side. :eek: :crazy: Yes, what he did was illegal, in every county in Georgia.

Branchminnow

SouthPaw Draw said:
You're right, it would actually be considered a spike, although on our club kill record chart he listed it as a buttonhead. I never seen the deer myself but from 2 other guys there at the time- both said bone was visible. So IMO it was an illegal harvest.
Okeedokee. And yes it was illegal.