Illegal Transactions On Gift Card (Update)

JohnnyWalker

A few years back I went to an eye glass place in North Lake mall and bought some glasses with my debit card. About 4 days later I noticed online charges against my account. Called the credit union and they closed the card, refunded the money and issued me a new card. That was the only purchase I made in a 10 day period so I know it had to be from one of those people.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I know this thread is about gift cards but I've been told you should get a new debit card every 3 months. Especially if you use it online. I don't do CC's and I rarely buy online

zedex

Gator Bait
A few years ago, my ex called me. Her credit card had charges on it amounting over $800. She asked what to do. I told her to call cc company to get date, time, and location of transactions. Then she needs to provide proof of where she was at that particular moment.

She did and they provided the information. She was home and she was making dinner. She is very particular about dinner time so she knew for a fact. The transaction was over the internet.

She contacted the internet company that took the payment. They provided the IP of purchase. It was her IP.

Turns out, our daughter was playing farmville at the time and used her mother's CC to buy a bunch of stuff...

Because my ex had her CC info on the computer, and allowed our daughter play that game on it, neither would forgive the debt.

I dont keep CC info on anything. I use a refillable CC for internet purchases. Put just enough on for the purchase. Nothing to be stolen. Any questionable purchases on my regular CCs or debit card are caught and the purchaser must provide authorization password

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Here's an update. I was informed back in November that they were not going to give me my money back. That's $127 some low life got away with.

I've posted their response letter below. I cropped out my name and address. Below the letter is a screenshot of all the illegal transactions (highlighted in red). That's my fishing license purchase at bottom. All happened on May 22, the day after I purchased my fishing license. After reading about the fishing license scam, I can't help but wonder if the actual DNR site was / is infected with malicious code, that stole my CC info. I'm certainly not saying that's the case, not at all, but I find it mighty suspicious that all the illegal transactions took place right afterwards. This sort of stuff does happen, even on reputable sites. I always look for the green security lock, but still, nothing is foolproof. Again, I am NOT saying my issue had anything to do with the DNR site. Just thought I'd give you something else to worry about. You're welcome. :bounce:

Letter.JPG

Transactions.JPG

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Cash for license, food, drink, gas, life and most bills.
Easy easy fast and well I know immediately if my money has been stolen.

GreenPig

I had surgery several years ago, so I was visiting multiple medical facilities. Each one of course requires vast amounts of your information. Well 5 or 6 months pass by and I'm at Lowe's purchasing things and my card failed to work. Paid and immediately drove to my bank to sort out the problem. The bank associate ask me if I had puchased two Sea Doos($15,000) in Miami Florida 2.5 hours ago. We were over 8 hours from Miami. They straightened it out but I have no doubt that somebody at one of the medical facilities I visited sold my information.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
A friend had $1500 dollars worth of gift cards bought on his CC at a Miami olive garden. (somebody in gatlinburg stole the info)

He called the restaurant and talked to the manager. The next day the manager actually called him back. Told him he figured out a employee bought them. He turned her into the police and fired her.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I am the King of ID theft. I quit counting how many times it's happened years ago. I keep a spare credit card and bank account just for these occasions now.

Silver Britches

I had about $900 in charges show up several years ago on my debit card. All in the Miami area while I was in GA. Weeks later, it was traced to a waitress at a Red Lobster in Valdosta we had visited and I had used that same card. She was scamming peoples cards and selling it online. It was eventually reimbursed, but I never heard what happened to her or whoever she was selling it to.

Moral of the story in this case = Don't give your card to anyone who has to walk away with it out of your sight! If I can't see where my card is going, I pay cash.
I agree with that. And you can bet that happens a lot. I never used this CC anywhere, but online. So whoever, and however my info was stolen, was done so through one of the websites. No one else had access to this card.

Silver Britches

I am the King of ID theft. I quit counting how many times it's happened years ago. I keep a spare credit card and bank account just for these occasions now.
I hear you. And I know of a few people who have been hit hard, and not all were able to get their money back. That's why I use these prepaid cards. They can ONLY steal what's on them. But still, it hurts, don't it? :bounce:

If I could find out who did it, and get them. I know what I'd like to do. I'd like to take them out into one of these swamps I frequent during the summer, have them take all of their clothes off, then leave them there. Let them skeeters do all the dirty work for me. :bounce:

j_seph

That is truly scary. Was the license purchased from the website or at a retail location?

And ironically the main reason I just logged on, was to go and check the balance on a Red Lobster gift card I have. Just so happened to pop by the campfire first and saw this thread.
call the number on back to check balance